KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » The Arrogance of God

The Arrogance of God
Started by: Chain Smoker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Chain Smoker
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Arrogance of God

If God is so all-mighty, it is only so because he can't help it. Any God is supposed to be all-mighty - that is what defines a God. Why would God want his creatures to praise him for his greatness when it was no mean art for God to create the universe? He simply did what he was capable of. It would indeed be very arrogant of God to expect his creation to praise him just because he is so great - he didn't ask to be God after all.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2005 01:06 PM
Chain Smoker is currently offline Click here to Send Chain Smoker a Private Message Find more posts by Chain Smoker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

The term god may not carry the same meaning to all of us engaged in a debate about god. One of the attributes which have been/are being discussed is god' s omnipotence.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2005 01:15 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Chain Smoker
Restricted

Account Restricted

Then what is the meaning of having a God if you don't praise him? Faith in your God becomes meaningless then.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2005 01:18 PM
Chain Smoker is currently offline Click here to Send Chain Smoker a Private Message Find more posts by Chain Smoker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

That, you should ask a theist.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2005 01:18 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Chain Smoker
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well, if you're not a theist, howcome you seem to represent them? Oh, I see, when you are in a corner in an argument you refer me to ask someone else? laughing out loud

Old Post Jan 19th, 2005 01:28 PM
Storm
Black belt BJJ

How can I answer your question when I don' t believe in your god?

In what way do I represent a theist?

Make poverty history.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2005 01:44 PM
Chain Smoker
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't believe in a god, you seem to represent theists based on your eagerness to explain that the term god may have a different meaning to everyone, after I questioned the meaning of having a God, devoid of the element of praise.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2005 01:50 PM
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Getting involved in a discussion without defining and explaining the most critical concepts is pointless.

Make poverty history.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2005 03:03 PM
Chain Smoker
Restricted

Account Restricted

I agree, but why did you refer me to a theist?

Old Post Jan 19th, 2005 03:09 PM
Syren
dreaming

Chain Smoker.... you pounced on Storm for no apparent reason, would you like to explain your obvious defensive complex before we broach the subject of 'God's' omnipotency? Just a general query, and you might find people a lot more willing to discuss things with you if you yourself are approachable.

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Jan 19th, 2005 03:50 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Celestialgirl
What your passion?

Re: The Arrogance of God

quote:
Originally posted by Chain Smoker
If God is so all-mighty, it is only so because he can't help it. Any God is supposed to be all-mighty - that is what defines a God. Why would God want his creatures to praise him for his greatness when it was no mean art for God to create the universe? He simply did what he was capable of. It would indeed be very arrogant of God to expect his creation to praise him just because he is so great - he didn't ask to be God after all.

He doesn't demand that animals praise him does he now? And not all Gods are all mighty some people's Gods can die

Old Post Jan 19th, 2005 09:10 PM
Celestialgirl is currently offline Click here to Send Celestialgirl a Private Message Find more posts by Celestialgirl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AdventChild
The Oringinal AdventChild

I thought the definition of "God" is a Perfect Being... that can do anything and that can make anything happen?

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 02:02 AM
AdventChild is currently offline Click here to Send AdventChild a Private Message Find more posts by AdventChild Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ushomefree

Chain Smoker

You started this forum, take control of it.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 02:11 AM
ushomefree is currently offline Click here to Send ushomefree a Private Message Find more posts by ushomefree Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Celestialgirl
What your passion?

quote:
Originally posted by AdventChild
I thought the definition of "God" is a Perfect Being... that can do anything and that can make anything happen?

I said others' gods not mine it says in the bible that my god can't die.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 03:07 AM
Celestialgirl is currently offline Click here to Send Celestialgirl a Private Message Find more posts by Celestialgirl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

Celestial - are you dumb? a God is not a God if he is mortal!???!

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 11:25 AM
Philosophicus is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophicus a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

in some mythologies gods were indeed mortal

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 11:30 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by finti
in some mythologies gods were indeed mortal

I know, but those 'gods' shpuld never have been called gods - rather demi-gods, don't you agree?

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 11:35 AM
Philosophicus is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophicus a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

Odin and Tor was regarded as gods, to me they were gods good as any other so called deities

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 11:37 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophicus
Restricted

Account Restricted

what's your definition of a god/deity?

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 11:39 AM
finti

god deity- one/more "higher" beings set to rule over nature, the cirlce of life and death and beyond

Old Post Jan 20th, 2005 11:43 AM