KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Short subject discussion thread

Short subject discussion thread
Started by: Regret

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Regret
One Among Many

Short subject discussion thread

I'll start this and we'll see what happens.

This thread is for short subject discussions. Questions and topics that the author does not believe are worth an entire thread. Questions can include very basic questions that often only require one post to answer. Any post can be drawn into a larger discussion by the population at large, but should be off of topics that have threads in existence for them. If you wish to have a drawn out discussion on a topic then it should not be placed here, that is why the forum exists, to provide a place for drawn out discussion.

The question I'll use to start this is for debbiejo.

What are your beliefs exactly? You seem at times to be Wiccan. I have also seen you post as though you are some form of Christian. I have also seen you post as an atheist would, or as an agnostic. What is your religion of choice?

Robbin' from the rich to give to themselves

Old Post Jun 27th, 2006 05:17 PM
Regret is currently offline Click here to Send Regret a Private Message Find more posts by Regret Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Regret
One Among Many

Feel free to jump in with other questions as they come.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2006 06:17 PM
Regret is currently offline Click here to Send Regret a Private Message Find more posts by Regret Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

This will just get closed. sad

Old Post Jun 27th, 2006 06:24 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Regret
One Among Many

Not if the discussion maintains on religious topics.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2006 06:50 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Regret
Not if the discussion maintains on religious topics.

Ok, Do you believe that God is separate from the universe and why?

Old Post Jun 27th, 2006 06:52 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Regret
One Among Many

Yes, in the manner that we are seperate, but I do not think I am answering the question you are asking.

I think I am not understanding your question entirely. Could you define what outside the universe means?

Old Post Jun 27th, 2006 06:57 PM
Eis
androgynous mind

I have a question, you claimed polygamy was only practiced by a small percentage of the LDS community when it was condoned. I do not believe that to be true, do you have any unbiased proof to back up your claim?

Old Post Jun 27th, 2006 06:59 PM
Eis is currently offline Click here to Send Eis a Private Message Find more posts by Eis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Yes, in the manner that we are separate, but I do not think I am answering the question you are asking.

I think I am not understanding your question entirely. Could you define what outside the universe means?

Good question, for that is at the heart of my question. When I say the universe, I mean everything, literally.

I have heard all my life that if you are not saved, then you are separated from God. If the universe is everything, and I'm part of that universe, then how can I be separate from God? If there is a separate part to the universe, then it should be included as part of everything, how can I be separate from that?

Old Post Jun 27th, 2006 07:04 PM
Regulus A Black
Elder Mormon

Do you have any proof to say that it is not true?

Old Post Jun 27th, 2006 07:04 PM
Regulus A Black is currently offline Click here to Send Regulus A Black a Private Message Find more posts by Regulus A Black Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Regulus A Black
Do you have any proof to say that it is not true?

To say what is not true? confused

You cannot prove a negative.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2006 07:06 PM
Regulus A Black
Elder Mormon

that was meant for Eis

Old Post Jun 27th, 2006 07:08 PM
Regulus A Black is currently offline Click here to Send Regulus A Black a Private Message Find more posts by Regulus A Black Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Regulus A Black
that was meant for Eis

Sorry. smile

I recommend that you use quotes, it will be less confusing. wink

Old Post Jun 27th, 2006 07:09 PM
Regulus A Black
Elder Mormon

well when i went to post, it was going to be the post right above me, but you posted at the same time

Old Post Jun 27th, 2006 07:14 PM
Regret
One Among Many

Originally posted by Eis
I have a question, you claimed polygamy was only practiced by a small percentage of the LDS community when it was condoned. I do not believe that to be true, do you have any unbiased proof to back up your claim?

Unbiased...numbers are never biased.

I went to an anti-Mormon website for the information I found. If there is exaggeration I would assume it is exaggerated to a higher number than was fact given the intent of the site. I will not post the site because I do not wish to propagate the messages told there. If you desire to I am sure you can find similar numbers yourself.

How many Mormons were involved in polygamy?

Larry Logue's study indicated that in the 19th century, about 33% of Mormon households were polygamist.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2006 07:15 PM
Regret
One Among Many

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Good question, for that is at the heart of my question. When I say the universe, I mean everything, literally.

I have heard all my life that if you are not saved, then you are separated from God. If the universe is everything, and I'm part of that universe, then how can I be separate from God? If there is a separate part to the universe, then it should be included as part of everything, how can I be separate from that?

OK, here is my answer. Universe will be defined as you have described.

God is not separate from the universe. He is only separate from it in the sense that we are separate from it. God is not the universe. I am separated from you at the moment. As a Mormon, we believe this separation is in reference to location.

God gives off energy in the same way that everything living gives off some form of energy. To be separated from God is the amount of diffusion that occurs between yourself and Gods energy. I believe that their reference is to a total separation, we believe that there are minimal numbers of individuals that will achieve this state of separation.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2006 07:23 PM
Eis
androgynous mind

Unbiased...numbers are never biased.

I went to an anti-Mormon website for the information I found. If there is exaggeration I would assume it is exaggerated to a higher number than was fact given the intent of the site. I will not post the site because I do not wish to propagate the messages told there. If you desire to I am sure you can find similar numbers yourself.

How many Mormons were involved in polygamy?

Larry Logue's study indicated that in the 19th century, about 33% of Mormon households were polygamist.

I am sure it was you who made the claim. You are the one who is supposed to back them up.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2006 07:26 PM
Eis is currently offline Click here to Send Eis a Private Message Find more posts by Eis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

OK, here is my answer. Universe will be defined as you have described.

God is not separate from the universe. He is only separate from it in the sense that we are separate from it. God is not the universe. I am separated from you at the moment. As a Mormon, we believe this separation is in reference to location.

God gives off energy in the same way that everything living gives off some form of energy. To be separated from God is the amount of diffusion that occurs between yourself and Gods energy. I believe that their reference is to a total separation, we believe that there are minimal numbers of individuals that will achieve this state of separation.

Now I see the conflict of beliefs. I am you and are me, we are not separate. We are separated by space, and we are different people, but my energy is connected with all other energy. Like cities on a highway they are separate by location but cars move from city to city.

IMO the reason I am alive is because of this connection, and this connection is God. So if I were to be disconnected, I would've never existed.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2006 07:29 PM
Regret
One Among Many

Originally posted by Eis
I am sure it was you who made the claim. You are the one who is supposed to back them up.

Are you asking for the site? I did make the claim, that is the posting on the site I came across. Here is a link to the page that it is found on, and it is an anti-Mormon site.

http://www.i4m.com/think/hbo-big-love-polygamy.htm

I must state that I disagree with the majority of things posted on the site. I have relatives that have left the Mormon church to join a polygamous offshoot cult. Here is a statement made on the same page:

Did polygamist marriages produce more children than monogamous marriages?

No, plural marriages produced fewer children than monogamous marriages. "Plural marriage, including monogamous remarriage, actually slightly suppressed the total number of children born." (The Mormon People: Their Character and Traditions 1980)

My aunt's husband has taken 5 more wives. He makes a decent amount of money. He has 60+ children currently. I am sorry, but that is an increased number compared to a monogamous marriage, even if separated into groups compared per wife. This statement shows a bias towards negative representation of Mormon polygamy.

A more significant number as to the number of Mormons that practiced polygamy would be a stronger statement against Mormon doctrine in this case.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2006 07:35 PM
Regret
One Among Many

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Now I see the conflict of beliefs. I am you and are me, we are not separate. We are separated by space, and we are different people, but my energy is connected with all other energy. Like cities on a highway they are separate by location but cars move from city to city.

IMO the reason I am alive is because of this connection, and this connection is God. So if I were to be disconnected, I would've never existed.

Yes, the conflict, between you and I, is in the nature of God. I believe he is a physical entity, as such he exists in the Universe, not outside it or as it.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2006 07:42 PM
Eis
androgynous mind

Are you asking for the site? I did make the claim, that is the posting on the site I came across. Here is a link to the page that it is found on, and it is an anti-Mormon site.

http://www.i4m.com/think/hbo-big-love-polygamy.htm

I must state that I disagree with the majority of things posted on the site. I have relatives that have left the Mormon church to join a polygamous offshoot cult. Here is a statement made on the same page:

Did polygamist marriages produce more children than monogamous marriages?

No, plural marriages produced fewer children than monogamous marriages. "Plural marriage, including monogamous remarriage, actually slightly suppressed the total number of children born." (The Mormon People: Their Character and Traditions 1980)

My aunt's husband has taken 5 more wives. He makes a decent amount of money. He has 60+ children currently. I am sorry, but that is an increased number compared to a monogamous marriage, even if separated into groups compared per wife. This statement shows a bias towards negative representation of Mormon polygamy.

A more significant number as to the number of Mormons that practiced polygamy would be a stronger statement against Mormon doctrine in this case.

33% hmm... I admit, that's a smaller number than I thought but in all honesty it's not a "small" number.

But I hate it that people still relate mormonism to polygamy. Yet no one asks a christian "Hey burned any witches lately?"

Old Post Jun 27th, 2006 07:50 PM