KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Krayt or Sidious?

Krayt or Sidious?
Started by: Syndicate

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Syndicate

Krayt or Sidious?

So let me detail the following passages for anybody who's having difficulties interpreting it. Tenebrous is talking about a calculation he came up with that showed the emergence of a "shadow" ruling over a group called the "One Sith." His plan is to get Plagueis to create Anakin, take control of Anakin as a baby and become the "shadow" tricking the Force in a sense. This ultimately fails as he sees ( or thinks he sees ) that the "shadow" in his calculation is Sidious. But was Sidious really the "shadow" of Tenebrous's calculation or was it Krayt? Both Krayt and Sidious have been described as shadows and both ultimately pursued goals of becoming the ultimate Force user of their era sharing power with no one ( Sidious sometimes contradicts this in various novels ). So was Tenebrous's calculation referencing Krayt or Sidious? Personally I'm unsure but given they were outright called the "One Sith" by Luceno I think his goal was to reference Krayt though leave the passage open to interpretation. If it was referencing Krayt from a lore perspective I'll definitely have to reevaluate my opinion of him as I have him around Vader level right now.

While still merely an apprentice, his analysis had shown him the inevitable end of the Banite Sith and its preposterous Rule of Two. His calculations plainly indicated the coming of a shadow so vast it would darken the galaxy entirely- so vast it would mark the end of both Jedi and Sith as the universe had known them heretofore. The rise of the shadow would be the end of history itself.

Tenebrous had not the slightest doubt that the entire galaxy would measure time according to its arrival. Events would be marked by how far they had preceded the shadow, or by how long after it they followed.

"Though the exact nature of the great shadow remained occult, the remorseless logic of his extrapolation detailed the coming destruction of the Banite system, and the rise of what would become known as the "One Sith." One Sith! The conclusion was so obvious as to require no confirmation: one single Sith Lord would arise of such power that he'd have no need of any apprentice nor fear of the Jedi. He would take and hold the galaxy by his own hand alone. Without an apprentice- or a Jedi Order-to destroy him, the One Sith would rule forever!

A heady prospect, with only a single drawback:

Tenebrous was not to be that Sith Lord.

His own death was clearly foretold, entirely inevitable, and it would precede the rise of the shadow by decades. His fate was explicit in the numbers, and numbers do not lie. However-as Tenebrous came eventually to realize over his many years of research, contemplation and calculation-it might be possible for the numbers in question to be, well, deceived....

The key, he'd discovered, lay in an obscure legend obliquely referenced in the Journal of the Whills, about a hero fairly typical in most cultures-the sort of promised future savior who appears in the foundational myths of nearly every developed society. What distinguished this particular savior from his run-of-the-mill equivalents was that he, according to four of eleven possible translations, was to be "born of pure Force." After three standard years devoted specifically to exploring all possible permutations of the interpretation, Tenebrous determined that such a birth was indeed possible, at least metaphorically- "born of pure Force" could be read as indicating the creation of a living being through direct manipulation of midi-chlorian processes in an already living being.

And further, as Tenebrous discovered with rising excitement, such a being s Force potential might be limited not by its creator's own midi-chlorian count, but instead only by its creator's level of discipline and attention to detail. Indeed, his calculations indicated a range potentially far beyond his own. With proper execution, the "savior" might have a midi-chlorian count as high as fifteen thousand!

Perhaps even more.

It might be possible to create a being with the greatest Force potential ever recorded!

And-by the application of his own suitably subtle variation of the ancient Sith brute-force essence transfer-Tenebrous could ensure that his own consciousness would be present at the creation of this being, this savior, this Chosen One. And, at the moment of creation-long before the Chosen One could hope to resist- Tenebrous would seize it. Would become it.

With this single stroke, decades after his body's death, he would become the most powerful Force-user in the history of the galaxy." - The Tenebrous Way.

"Now Tenebrous touched upon his apprentice's powers of foresight, which were also vastly more developed than Tenebrous had believed. For a moment. Tenebrous found his perception cast far forward in time-to Plagueis' own death at the hands of his apprentice, who was himself visible only as a smear of darkness....

A shadow!

For an instant, Tenebrous felt the death anguish of Plagueis.... and felt the searing agony Plagueis felt.... at his failure to have ever created the Force-user Tenebrous was to become! He would allow his own apprentice to kill him too soon...." - The Tenebrous Way.

Last edited by Syndicate on Jul 1st, 2016 at 07:15 PM

Old Post Jul 1st, 2016 07:10 PM
Click here to Send Syndicate a Private Message Find more posts by Syndicate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

So much cancer. It's blatantly Palpatine.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Jul 1st, 2016 07:11 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syndicate

Was it really cancer? In all seriousness?

Old Post Jul 1st, 2016 07:16 PM
Click here to Send Syndicate a Private Message Find more posts by Syndicate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Its probably Sidious but it's ridiculously similar to Krayt, enough to make it arguable.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2016 07:22 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

It describes that Sith Lord as "the shadow" the exact same thing Stover describes Palpatine as in the RotS novel, plus Tenebrous noted it was decades, not centuries which is the separation between him and Krayt. So yeah, it's obviously Palpatine. A for effort, though thumb up

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Jul 1st, 2016 07:27 PM
Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Real talk, yes, it's cancer. It's obviously about Sidious.
""Though the exact nature of the great shadow remained occult, the remorseless logic of his extrapolation detailed the coming destruction of the Banite system, and the rise of what would become known as the "One Sith." One Sith! The conclusion was so obvious as to require no confirmation: one single Sith Lord would arise of such power that he'd have no need of any apprentice nor fear of the Jedi. He would take and hold the galaxy by his own hand alone. Without an apprentice- or a Jedi Order-to destroy him, the One Sith would rule forever!"

Is how Sidious envisioned himself. The One Sith that Krayt created is about the Sith being a fascist Order, not about there just being one Sith. Not to mention Krayt didn't exactly destroy the Jedi or really remake the Sith. He also had a ton of apprentices.

Then there's the pure idiocy of thinking Krayt would be present at Plagueis' death, as well as being the apprentice.

But really, neither is the "shadow." Because Plagueis failed in creating life from midichlorians.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2016 07:28 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syndicate

quote: (post)
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
Real talk, yes, it's cancer. It's obviously about Sidious.
""Though the exact nature of the great shadow remained occult, the remorseless logic of his extrapolation detailed the coming destruction of the Banite system, and the rise of what would become known as the "One Sith." One Sith! The conclusion was so obvious as to require no confirmation: one single Sith Lord would arise of such power that he'd have no need of any apprentice nor fear of the Jedi. He would take and hold the galaxy by his own hand alone. Without an apprentice- or a Jedi Order-to destroy him, the One Sith would rule forever!"

Is how Sidious envisioned himself. The One Sith that Krayt created is about the Sith being a fascist Order, not about there just being one Sith. Not to mention Krayt didn't exactly destroy the Jedi or really remake the Sith. He also had a ton of apprentices.

Then there's the pure idiocy of thinking Krayt would be present at Plagueis' death, as well as being the apprentice.

But really, neither is the "shadow." Because Plagueis failed in creating life from midichlorians.

So it's cancer because it was obvious?

Edit: Also it doesn't say the "shadow" would destroy the Jedi Order just that there would be no Jedi Order to challenge him.

Last edited by Syndicate on Jul 1st, 2016 at 07:38 PM

Old Post Jul 1st, 2016 07:32 PM
Deronn Solo
King Yami

Real talk, yes, it's cancer.

I expect no less from DD, honestly.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2016 07:36 PM
Click here to Send Deronn Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Deronn Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syndicate

Originally posted by MythLord
It describes that Sith Lord as "the shadow" the exact same thing Stover describes Palpatine as in the RotS novel, plus Tenebrous noted it was decades, not centuries which is the separation between him and Krayt. So yeah, it's obviously Palpatine. A for effort, though thumb up

You're right but then the NJO describes Krayt as a "shadow" too and then there's this.

"Though the exact nature of the great shadow remained occult, the remorseless logic of his extrapolation detailed the coming destruction of the Banite system, and the rise of what would become known as the "One Sith." One Sith! The conclusion was so obvious as to require no confirmation: one single Sith Lord would arise of such power that he'd have no need of any apprentice nor fear of the Jedi. He would take and hold the galaxy by his own hand alone. Without an apprentice- or a Jedi Order-to destroy him, the One Sith would rule forever!" - The Tenebrous Way.

Also it says the "rise" of the "shadow" would occur decades after his death but wouldn't Krayt's defeat by Obi Wan which ultimately set him on the path to the Dark Side fall in line with that timeline occurring "decades after" Tenebrous's death and couldn't that be constituted as Krayt's rise?

Old Post Jul 1st, 2016 07:36 PM
Syndicate

Originally posted by Deronn_solo
I expect no less from DD, honestly.

Oh. Ok.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2016 07:39 PM
Deronn Solo
King Yami

ily tho. <3

Old Post Jul 1st, 2016 07:40 PM
Click here to Send Deronn Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Deronn Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Originally posted by Syndicate
So it's cancer because it was obvious?

Edit: Also it doesn't say the "shadow" would destroy the Jedi Order just that there would be no Jedi Order to challenge him.

And then the Jedi Order and the Imperial Not-Jedi Order destroy Krayt, where as there were next to no Jedi during DE. erm

Seriously, 2+2=4

Old Post Jul 1st, 2016 07:42 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syndicate

Originally posted by Deronn_solo
ily tho. <3

Um... How? We don't interact all that often and when we do it's only you insulting me regardless of the subject matter. Unless you're a yandere who's developed an obsession with me by observing my internet actions I don't see how that would be possible. I find it far more likely you're in love with Wolf and because he and I disagree on some subjects you've seen fit to harass me especially because your harassment didn't start until after Wolf and I had a major disagreement here on KMC.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2016 07:43 PM
MythLord
Diamond

You're right but then the NJO describes Krayt as a "shadow" too and then there's this.

"Though the exact nature of the great shadow remained occult, the remorseless logic of his extrapolation detailed the coming destruction of the Banite system, and the rise of what would become known as the "One Sith." One Sith! The conclusion was so obvious as to require no confirmation: one single Sith Lord would arise of such power that he'd have no need of any apprentice nor fear of the Jedi. He would take and hold the galaxy by his own hand alone. Without an apprentice- or a Jedi Order-to destroy him, the One Sith would rule forever!" - The Tenebrous Way.

Also it says the "rise" of the "shadow" would occur decades after his death but wouldn't Krayt's defeat by Obi Wan which ultimately set him on the path to the Dark Side fall in line with that timeline occurring "decades after" Tenebrous's death and couldn't that be constituted as Krayt's rise?

Problem is Krayt didn't "rise" after Obi-Wan humiliated him. He rose during 130 ABY, IIRC. And that's two centuries after Tenebrous' death; Palpatine's rise, however, was a good chunk less than a century. Also, Krayt didn't "take hold of the Galaxy" nor did he destroy the Jedi Order, not nearly as efficiently as Sidious anyways. And Krayt had loads of apprentices, he even offered Cade to be his apprentice and then got killed, so yeah. It's obviously Sidious, but again: A for effort thumb up

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Jul 1st, 2016 07:45 PM
Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

You realize "ily" is primarily used as sarcasm / a joke?

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syndicate

And then the Jedi Order and the Imperial Not-Jedi Order destroy Krayt, where as there were next to no Jedi during DE. erm

Seriously, 2+2=4

Wasn't the GM of that era killed by Nihl and the Jedi scattered?

I don't know if it was Sidious or Krayt but I think the text was left vague enough for it to be open to interpretation.

Syndicate

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
You realize "ily" is primarily used as sarcasm / a joke?

Oh. I always thought you were serious when you were saying it to me...

So Ant, was my post cancerous because the answer was obvious?

Old Post Jul 1st, 2016 07:46 PM
Deronn Solo
King Yami

kek. I wasn't exactly serious, Syndi lmao.

As for the dissing you, I find it to be a fun endeavour. I do the same with Kurk, too. Used to do it with Wollf, Ant, and Nova. No hard feelings really meant by it, as I consider the latter 3 to be friends.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2016 07:48 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Oh. I always thought you were serious when you were saying it to me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VIGQCbAgL0

Old Post Jul 1st, 2016 07:48 PM
Syndicate

Originally posted by MythLord
Problem is Krayt didn't "rise" after Obi-Wan humiliated him. He rose during 130 ABY, IIRC. And that's two centuries after Tenebrous' death; Palpatine's rise, however, was a good chunk less than a century. Also, Krayt didn't "take hold of the Galaxy" nor did he destroy the Jedi Order, not nearly as efficiently as Sidious anyways. And Krayt had loads of apprentices, he even offered Cade to be his apprentice and then got killed, so yeah. It's obviously Sidious, but again: A for effort thumb up

It says he's honing/improving his skill in those 300 years and the Banite Line's rise took place over a thousand years. I don't see why the same couldn't be applied to Krayt. "Taking hold of the Galaxy." Can be interpreted in many different ways. Also as I mentioned to Freshest the text doesn't refer to destroying the Jedi Order only that there weren't Jedi around to challenge the "shadow's" power in their time. Fair enough about the apprentice's I guess but did Krayt ever intend to let Cade succeed him? Couldn't it have just been a ploy to gain a powerful servant like Sidious tried all the time? Also are you going to try to say "A for effort!" In your next post as well? If so I'd ask you to refrain as it's kind of annoying.

Old Post Jul 1st, 2016 07:51 PM