KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Shadow in the Cloud (2020)

Shadow in the Cloud (2020)
Started by: Patient_Leech

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Shadow in the Cloud (2020)

(Surprised there wasn't a thread for this. If there is, my apologies. I searched)

I watched this the other night and thought it would be worth discussing. I found it actually very entertaining, even if not perfect. It has a very engaging performance from the lead actress and some ballsy direction to make her so front-and-center. There is as lot I wanted to discuss about the film, but ultimately I found it to be a very fun pulp action film. The ridiculousness was part of the fun, I think. And even though it has more than a bit of feminism mixed in it didn't bother me because it was just part of the pulp fun of it and the way the situation was written it also made more sense. There was an edit or two that bothered me, though. I may have to go back and watch the parts again, but it almost made it seem like she teleported or something, heh...

The film is actually pretty short, and I sort of wish they had gone all-out and added another 20 minutes or so and...

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: ...once they landed have the gremlin take "the package" off to a hive or something and then require an adventurous rescue.

But no doubt budget was an issue.

If you haven't seen this I'd be curious what you think.

Old Post May 11th, 2021 10:52 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rudester
Tommy

I have a crush on chloe so I'll definitely watch

Old Post May 12th, 2021 12:54 PM
rudester is currently offline Click here to Send rudester a Private Message Find more posts by rudester Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ShadowFyre

Been wanting to see this actually. Glad you liked it.

Old Post May 12th, 2021 01:08 PM
ShadowFyre is currently offline Click here to Send ShadowFyre a Private Message Find more posts by ShadowFyre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Re: Shadow in the Cloud (2020)

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
[SPOILER - highlight to read]: ...once they landed have the gremlin take "the package" off to a hive or something and then require an adventurous rescue.

I’m kind of glad they didn’t.
They gave us barely anything, but it was just enough to stir the imagination. The scene where [SPOILER - highlight to read]: the gremlin was falling and then busted out a pair of wings was brilliant imo.
Got me to wondering how long these things had been around, and they’d prob. been targeting ships early on; blimps must have been a treat for them etc.

Old Post May 12th, 2021 01:28 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by rudester
I have a crush on chloe so I'll definitely watch

I haven't seen her in anything else except I think Kick-ass, and I don't remember it very well. But she's great in this. Shows off some serious acting chops.

Old Post May 12th, 2021 02:06 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by riv6672
I’m kind of glad they didn’t.
They gave us barely anything, but it was just enough to stir the imagination. The scene where [SPOILER - highlight to read]: the gremlin was falling and then busted out a pair of wings was brilliant imo.
Got me to wondering how long these things had been around, and they’d prob. been targeting ships early on; blimps must have been a treat for them etc.

Well what bothered me was at that part...

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: .. . the gremlin grabbed the package and was clearly running away, but suddenly she was in front of it and closelined it...

That was goofy to me, even by the ridiculous action standards of the film. So it made me wonder if they had more planned, but budget got in the way.

But I think the film probably bombed, so I doubt there is much hope of a sequel. I suspect the pandemic didn't do the film any favors. Which is a shame, because I think this world would be a very fun one to explore.

Old Post May 12th, 2021 02:15 PM
riv6672

Well what bothered me was at that part...

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: .. . the gremlin grabbed the package and was clearly running away, but suddenly she was in front of it and closelined it...

That was goofy to me, even by the ridiculous action standards of the film. So it made me wonder if they had more planned, but budget got in the way.

But I think the film probably bombed, so I doubt there is much hope of a sequel. I suspect the pandemic didn't do the film any favors. Which is a shame, because I think this world would be a very fun one to explore.

^^^Ah!
Okay yeah thinking back I can see that now. laughing

I think you’re right about there being no sequel, unfortunately. It’s too bad, as the concept is such that it could be set in any era, ising different actors as they went.

Old Post May 12th, 2021 04:14 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

The part that bothered me (and it’s in the trailer so it’s not a spoiler) is the part where she falls out the plane but the plane that explodes beneath her pushes her back onto the plane with the shock wave...

(please log in to view the image)

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post May 12th, 2021 05:24 PM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by steverules_2
The part that bothered me (and it’s in the trailer so it’s not a spoiler) is the part where she falls out the plane but the plane that explodes beneath her pushes her back onto the plane with the shock wave...

LOL, @ your gif.

Yeah, I just laughed at that part and enjoyed the ridiculousness. To me that part was fun stupid. Obviously that would kill you, but she gets up and goes on like nothing happened.. Haha.

Old Post May 12th, 2021 05:50 PM
riv6672

Heck yeah that was Fast & Furious level awesome!

Old Post May 12th, 2021 06:34 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Yeah, it was embracing the comicbook-like fun, and not just deceptive editing.

I really loved the design of the [SPOILER - highlight to read]: batlike gremlins. They were fu#king wicked and yeah, like you said, when it flew, it was a very nice touch.

Old Post May 12th, 2021 07:53 PM
riv6672

Yeah, it was embracing the comicbook-like fun, and not just deceptive editing.

I really loved the design of the [SPOILER - highlight to read]: batlike gremlins. They were fu#king wicked and yeah, like you said, when it flew, it was a very nice touch.

So true; kudos on whoever designed it. They [SPOILER - highlight to read]: weren’t totally alien looking. You could see rat in there as well as bat. Like maybe all three came from the same genetic stock somewhere in the past.
Man I’m really overthinking this! laughing

Old Post May 12th, 2021 10:36 PM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

I'm biased because I have a serious crush on Chloe but I still can't make up my mind whether I liked this movie or not...?

It really felt like it was written as a stage play then adopted to screen on a small budget.

I mean for an action film, a large proportion of the movie focusses on Chloe's character stuck in the bubble turret unable to do much at all.

And getting to know the rest of the crew just by their constant nagging & derogatory remarks over the intercom doesn't exactly lend to sympathy when they start getting killed off.

Yeah the gremlin was cool. I liked how you just had to accept they exist & one was on the plane but overall I'm still on the fence whether I liked this movie or not.

Old Post May 14th, 2021 06:05 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

They got the idea for this movie from a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Old Post May 14th, 2021 06:19 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by Kazenji
They got the idea for this movie from a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Swipe from the best. stick out tongue

Old Post May 14th, 2021 08:40 AM
steverules_2

I’d say they got it from a twilight zone episode ‘There’s...some one on the wing. Some...thing.’

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post May 14th, 2021 10:49 AM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

And the Bugs bunny cartoon that i'm thinking of came out 1943.

Old Post May 14th, 2021 11:33 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by Kazenji
And the Bugs bunny cartoon that i'm thinking of came out 1943.

1943 also saw publication of “The Gremlins”, a book by Roald Dahl, of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory fame.

Last edited by riv6672 on May 14th, 2021 at 12:54 PM

Old Post May 14th, 2021 12:52 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
I'm biased because I have a serious crush on Chloe but I still can't make up my mind whether I liked this movie or not...?

It really felt like it was written as a stage play then adopted to screen on a small budget.

I mean for an action film, a large proportion of the movie focusses on Chloe's character stuck in the bubble turret unable to do much at all.

I think that's what I liked about it. I found that whole part with just her really engaging and interesting. That's what I meant by ballsy direction. I think it was an intentional decision to make the audience feel like they were in her shoes. And it worked to me. It would have felt like any other generic flight film if they kept cutting back up to the rest of the crew. I honestly didn't care about getting to know them.. haha...

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
And getting to know the rest of the crew just by their constant nagging & derogatory remarks over the intercom doesn't exactly lend to sympathy when they start getting killed off.

Yeah, they did have the little flashes of their fancy mug shot as they were introducing themselves. heh. But yeah, I found all that very entertaining. Even if it was sort of a feminist approach. But to me, the writing helped make her heroism make sense, because [SPOILER - highlight to read]: she was doing it all to protect her baby! So her impressive feats were just a metaphor for motherhood. My question is: did her boyfriend on the plane know that the baby was in the package? I'm not sure about that, may have to wait to watch again to figure it out...

Old Post May 16th, 2021 07:10 PM