KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Vader's lung capacity

Vader's lung capacity
Started by: Gangularis

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Gangularis

Vader's lung capacity

ok, i don't think this has been asked.. (if it has, i'm sorry, but don't worry i don't start topics often or even post much)

this may be explained in the novel, so maybe someone who's read it could clue us in...

but how does vader's lungs get messed up on mustafar?? AND if he did end up so he's not able to breath on his own.. then how the hell is he SCREAMING while he's on the operation table??

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 09:02 AM
Click here to Send Gangularis a Private Message Find more posts by Gangularis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gangularis

also i'd add, anakin is sitting there, just fine, as the mask is lowered on to him without any sort of extra breathing apparatus.

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 09:10 AM
Click here to Send Gangularis a Private Message Find more posts by Gangularis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

i think that can be left to the imagination. Sounds like your even more critical than i am. I know how you feel when you want answers though

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 09:13 AM
Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gangularis

i'm willing to let it go..

i just hoped maybe something would come of the question being fleshed out.

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 09:19 AM
kremzike
Max Rebo's roadie

I'm probably going to investigate this further... just because... but I can tell you that, upon my last viewing of the building scene, you can hear Vader wheezing just before the mask fits into place. I would also speculate that the reason he can't breathe on his own is because he breathed in while he was on fire. Fire feeds on oxygen, and breathing fire into your lungs will cause it to burn them from the inside. Still, I may seek out some more info on this soon. His screaming on the table wasn't as full of breath as it could've been. I figure that, at that point, his lungs were failing & would soon deteriorate to the point where he couldn't breathe at all, so before that happened, he was fitted with the suit that breathes for him.

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 09:29 AM
Click here to Send kremzike a Private Message Find more posts by kremzike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

i'm so glad there are people like you in the world kremzike

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 09:34 AM
Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gangularis

those are definetly all theories i played with krem.

i'm just looking for varification, i guess.

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 09:37 AM
Gangularis

i just listened to it.. and you're right, you can hear him wheezing just before the mask is put on!

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 09:39 AM
~JP~
yeah baby

quote: (post)
Originally posted by kremzike
I'm probably going to investigate this further... just because... but I can tell you that, upon my last viewing of the building scene, you can hear Vader wheezing just before the mask fits into place. I would also speculate that the reason he can't breathe on his own is because he breathed in while he was on fire. Fire feeds on oxygen, and breathing fire into your lungs will cause it to burn them from the inside. Still, I may seek out some more info on this soon. His screaming on the table wasn't as full of breath as it could've been. I figure that, at that point, his lungs were failing & would soon deteriorate to the point where he couldn't breathe at all, so before that happened, he was fitted with the suit that breathes for him.

I think this is probably the right answer, makes sense anyway.

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 10:46 AM
Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DenKi

As the mask was lowered you saw his face and he was breathing fine

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 11:53 AM
Click here to Send DenKi a Private Message Find more posts by DenKi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kremzike
Max Rebo's roadie

He certainly doesn't look like he's breathing fine to me, but I don't think seeing his face is any indicator of how well his lungs are or aren't working.

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 12:14 PM
Click here to Send kremzike a Private Message Find more posts by kremzike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

I thought it was pretty clear.

As The Emperor goes to see to Vader, you can clearly hear him gasping for air.

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 12:53 PM
Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
i'm so glad there are people like you in the world kremzike

laughing

I was going to say, this is the geekiest thread I've read yet.

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 01:07 PM
Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

yes, i think that question is answered...but what about that huge gash on anakin's head we see in ep's 5&6?

i know they showed it on mustafar...but its as if the gash just appeared...i dont get it. if its a result of the burning why didnt his whole head turn into that? only thing i can this is somehow the skin on his skull tightened up and cracked down the middle from the fire...

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 01:20 PM
Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly

His skin just burned. You could see it appear.

Fire can do awful things to skin.

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 01:25 PM
Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
notDeadYet!
Resident Villain

Remember that Sidious didn't just want to save Anakin's life. He wanted him to be able to fight again. You can't do that with a half-functioning set of lungs. The breathing apparatus that Vader uses would help him to get plenty of oxygen to his lungs for fighting situations.

big grin wink

laughing

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 02:05 PM
Click here to Send notDeadYet! a Private Message Find more posts by notDeadYet! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly

Emperor probably hooked him up in such a way that he had control over him. If he tried anything he could just throw lightning at him and he'd shut down.

Emperor knew Anakin was a threat, so he kept him prisoner inside the suit. The suit was Vaders leash. Emperor must have been counting his lucky stars he got maimed like that. It really is a tale of selling your soul to the devil and getting royally screwed. It's great.

BTW, I love how they explained Vader's eyes having an orangey hue to them in the OT by actually having orange optic thingies inside.

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 02:26 PM
b-dan
Son of Sparda

who knows just like saying that for the prototype darth vader genrail grevous they both got bad lungs and anikand got burned so it probly messed up his lungs

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 07:25 PM
Click here to Send b-dan a Private Message Find more posts by b-dan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GangusGrievous
4 armed Wonder

Originally posted by kremzike
He certainly doesn't look like he's breathing fine to me, but I don't think seeing his face is any indicator of how well his lungs are or aren't working.
right, i mean if my legs just got cut off, even if i was breathing right, my face wouldnt look to happy no expression

Old Post May 23rd, 2005 09:08 PM
Click here to Send GangusGrievous a Private Message Find more posts by GangusGrievous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark hoser
Sith Lord Hoser

ok here's a quote from the book: The light burns you. It will always burn you. Part of you will always lie upon black glass sand beside a lake of fire while flames chew upon your flesh. You can hear yourself breathig. It comes hard, harsh, and it scrapes nerves already raw, but you can't stop it. You can never stop it. You can't even slow it down. You don't have lungs anymore. Mechanisms hardwired into your chest breath for yo. They will pump oxygen onto your bloodstream forever. I hope this explains for you. I f have heard this already I'm srry for bringing this up to you . Any way im Dark Hoser nice to meet you all.

Old Post May 24th, 2005 02:25 AM
Click here to Send Dark hoser a Private Message Find more posts by Dark hoser Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote