KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Is Superman the first superhero?

Is Superman the first superhero?
Started by: Hit and Run

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Accel

Is Superman the first superhero?

This may seem silly, but I was curious as to whether Superman was the very first superhero or were there any other superheros that appeared before he did?

Old Post Oct 10th, 2005 05:54 PM
Accel is currently offline Click here to Send Accel a Private Message Find more posts by Accel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ZephroCarnelian

He is the original.

There were 'heroes' before him. But not with super-powers etc.

The REAL Men on KMC - Whirly, Juntai, Darkcrawler, Avalon...

Old Post Oct 10th, 2005 06:17 PM
ZephroCarnelian is currently offline Click here to Send ZephroCarnelian a Private Message Find more posts by ZephroCarnelian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Accel

Okay, Thanks smile

Old Post Oct 10th, 2005 06:30 PM
Accel is currently offline Click here to Send Accel a Private Message Find more posts by Accel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
olympian

He was the first to show up with an amalgamation of powers all in one, without being a god or anything of the like.

Ancient heroes, some of them did had what we qualify as super powers/abilities.

just not usually more than one or two.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2005 06:40 PM
olympian is currently offline Click here to Send olympian a Private Message Find more posts by olympian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
josepht

yes

Old Post Oct 11th, 2005 03:25 PM
josepht is currently offline Click here to Send josepht a Private Message Find more posts by josepht Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Protector
Protector of..... Unknown

100%
The first
The best
SUPERMAN

WE GET WHITE LIGHTSABERS
------------------------------------------------
Leia- Luke what are you trying to say
Luke- Well I was cleaning these driods and long story short you're my twin sister. Now if you will excuse me I have to turn our father to the light side.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2005 10:59 PM
Protector is currently offline Click here to Send Protector a Private Message Find more posts by Protector Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

I thought Namor the Sub Mariner predated him.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Oct 12th, 2005 12:45 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jedi Shmedi
NNOOO000000oooooo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by roughrider
I thought Namor the Sub Mariner predated him.

Nope, Supes showed up in 1938, then Batman in 1939, Namor came in the 40's.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2005 01:15 AM
Jedi Shmedi is currently offline Click here to Send Jedi Shmedi a Private Message Find more posts by Jedi Shmedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Warlock
Adam is with Team Magik

Namor popped up in the Funnies in 1939.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2005 02:06 AM
Adam Warlock is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Warlock a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Warlock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

You want to say superhero, like fantastically-powered or just a vigilante hero?
A vigilante hero with some powers would be The Shadow; he started in the 1920's I think. And there's Doc Savage in the 1930's pulp magazines. He had an influence on Supes origin, I understand.
The Shadow certainly inspired Batman, along with Zorro.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Oct 12th, 2005 03:20 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr.Fate
Aztek's only Fanboy

the first comic book superhero is technicly the Phantom since thtas were he originated. Zorro and the Shadow came before but weren't in comics till after. Phantom debutted in 1916 the Shadow didn't get a comic till 1938 and Zorro wasn't in a comic till the 1940's. Also you could count Dr.Occult could be called a superhero but was kind of a magic detective and was created in 1935 buy Shuster and Siegel. But the way I see it it's the Phantom

Purple tights rule!!!

Aztek's Feats. Stealing Kyle Rayner's Ring right off his hand. and stopping a mugging by giving the muggers his lunch money! Beat that!

Old Post Oct 15th, 2005 09:15 PM
Dr.Fate is currently offline Click here to Send Dr.Fate a Private Message Find more posts by Dr.Fate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr.Fate
Aztek's only Fanboy

opps I mean the Phantom debutted in 1936

Aztek's Feats. Stealing Kyle Rayner's Ring right off his hand. and stopping a mugging by giving the muggers his lunch money! Beat that!

Old Post Oct 15th, 2005 09:16 PM
Dr.Fate is currently offline Click here to Send Dr.Fate a Private Message Find more posts by Dr.Fate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

yes, hes the first superhero who people actually cared about and didnt suck

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Old Post Oct 18th, 2005 04:02 PM
((The_Anomaly)) is currently offline Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UniOmni
Outrageously Dickish

So the true logical answer to the question posed is no. Superman was not the first superhero. He's just the most famous. If anybody has any issues with this post, see above.^^^

Old Post Oct 18th, 2005 07:53 PM
UniOmni is currently offline Click here to Send UniOmni a Private Message Find more posts by UniOmni Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pandemoniac
Disco Infernal

Comic-wise yes. But as said here, myths and legends from the past tell tales of superhumans, dating back to like 2000 BC. And those were those days comics, just not in it's current form.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2005 08:02 PM
Pandemoniac is currently offline Click here to Send Pandemoniac a Private Message Find more posts by Pandemoniac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EsteemedLeader
Restricted

Account Restricted

Namor came first.

Bow before your new ruler...

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2005 10:09 AM
EsteemedLeader is currently offline Click here to Send EsteemedLeader a Private Message Find more posts by EsteemedLeader Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zarathustra

quote: (post)
Originally posted by EsteemedLeader
Namor came first.

Namor's first appearance was in Marvel Comics #1, November 1939. Superman's was in Action Comics #1, in June of 1938 (nearly a year an a half earlier). Batman showed up in between.
As for that business about the Phantom: Sure, The Phantom wore a mask and fought wrongdoers no different than Zorro or the Lone Ranger, but none of these characters were considered superheroes because this term originated with Superman (Thus he is, by definition, the first superhero).

Old Post Nov 1st, 2005 01:16 AM
Zarathustra is currently offline Click here to Send Zarathustra a Private Message Find more posts by Zarathustra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NoFate007

Amazing what tenure does

Old Post Nov 1st, 2005 02:39 AM
NoFate007 is currently offline Click here to Send NoFate007 a Private Message Find more posts by NoFate007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kal-El_08
Restricted

Account Restricted

Superman basically set up the path for the other heroes.

"It wasn't even about the eggs. Quite frankly I like the eggs, I don't have no...problem with...It's just there's always been a lot of tension between me & Lois. It's not so much as I want to kill her...I just want her...to not be...alive anymore. I sometimes wonder if all women are this difficult. Then I think to myself, wouldn't it be MARVELOUS if I turned out to be a homosexual?"

Old Post Nov 6th, 2005 11:45 AM
Kal-El_08 is currently offline Click here to Send Kal-El_08 a Private Message Find more posts by Kal-El_08 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EjkoUSC

The term "Superman" predates the term "super-hero". Super-hero is a reaction Superman. It was to describe any character resembling Superman. So no matter how you cut it with The Phantom, The Shadow, Zorro, Doc Savage it doesnt matter. They were what they were and in retrospect they may now be considered super-heroes. But since the phrase is a direct response to Superman then he remains the original example.

And even if you do count the earlier characters, theres still a strong case for Superman being the original. Its hard toimagine that it didnt occur to anyone for quite sometime to create a character who by now seems so simple. He wasn't such a no-brainer. Comics were more...comical. Funny. If not that, then gritty, street detectives, shady characters and the like. Batman in ways is a little less bold a creation than Superman since he mixes Superman with the style that predated him. Superman was old time mythology redone.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2005 03:32 AM
EjkoUSC is currently offline Click here to Send EjkoUSC a Private Message Find more posts by EjkoUSC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote