KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » 3D Realms Closes [Confirmed]

3D Realms Closes [Confirmed]
Started by: JamesMan69

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
JamesMan69

3D Realms Closes [Confirmed]

Creators of the Ever so popular Duke Nukem Series Have Closed there doors, Thus leaving all the fans who have waited over 12 years for Duke Nukem Forever(DNF) Are left hanging

Source:

3D Realms webmaster Joe Siegler has commented on the shut down, "It's not a marketing thing. It's true. I have nothing further to say at this time."

Duke Nukem Forever publisher Take-Two has confirmed to Shacknews that it was not funding ongoing development of the 3D Realms project.

Its a sad day

Old Post May 7th, 2009 08:14 PM
JamesMan69 is currently offline Click here to Send JamesMan69 a Private Message Find more posts by JamesMan69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

Heh, just noticed that the initials for Duke Nukem Forever is DNF, same as the Did Not Finish for racers etc who don't manage to finish the race.

Anyways, I don't see this as a loss, only problem is that we no longer have Duke Nukem Forever to joke about.

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post May 7th, 2009 08:19 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Not a loss. This whole DNF thing was one huge scam, I tell you.

Old Post May 7th, 2009 08:42 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JamesMan69

i was thinking it was vaporware also, just a scam internet hype machine

Old Post May 7th, 2009 10:24 PM
JamesMan69 is currently offline Click here to Send JamesMan69 a Private Message Find more posts by JamesMan69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Old Post May 7th, 2009 11:35 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Even if 3D Realms does not exist, somebody will have the franchise rights and we will see another Duke Nukem game in the future.

It might not be Duke Nukem Forever and if it isnt hopefully somebody comes out with some sort of literature about what happened with it. I think it would be very interseting.

Old Post May 8th, 2009 03:41 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
Even if 3D Realms does not exist, somebody will have the franchise rights and we will see another Duke Nukem game in the future.

It might not be Duke Nukem Forever and if it isnt hopefully somebody comes out with some sort of literature about what happened with it. I think it would be very interseting.

Take Two still hold the publishing rights to DNF.

Old Post May 9th, 2009 12:26 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

It would be good if someone else got hold of DNF and actually finished it, Monolith would be great for it.

Old Post May 10th, 2009 02:38 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I would say the creators of Painkiller, or Serious Sam (if they are the same guys, then well, yeah) over Monolith.

Just because Monolith games are more story driven that Duke Nukem.
But Monolith would make a good game anyways, so it would still be cool.

Old Post May 10th, 2009 06:15 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

laughing laughing out loud

Old Post May 10th, 2009 05:02 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kostabot
I'm a rooster illusion

Sucks. I knew DNF was a bunch of baloney, but I did hope for another DN game at some point. I actually went back and finished DN3D on PC a couple weeks ago. I got so nostalgic, it brought a tear to my eye. laughing out loud

What is this I don't even

Old Post May 11th, 2009 05:13 AM
Kostabot is currently offline Click here to Send Kostabot a Private Message Find more posts by Kostabot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Them Duke Nukem games for the PSP are still coming.

Old Post May 11th, 2009 06:46 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Most of you guys were tuny when DN3D came out!

But let's face it, Duke Nukem had been dead for a decade- dead as soon as it didn't come out inside two years. It belonged to a past era of computer games; it was a rival to the likes of Doom, for God's sake. It's whole sustaining premise was the 'adult' material, beyond that it had absolutely nothing to offer any more. Once Half-Life came out, the idea that a new Duke Nukem game could really be such a big deal, objectively (as opposed to nostalgically) speaking was a dead one, and the FPS genre has only galloped on by further leaps and bounds since.

Studio or no studio, the actual concept of the 'awesome DNF game' was never going to see reality. And in that respect- perhaps better that the attempt never comes.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on May 11th, 2009 at 09:02 PM

Old Post May 11th, 2009 01:31 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

But did anyone expect the game to be good in any way?

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post May 11th, 2009 03:14 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Originally posted by Morridini
But did anyone expect the game to be good in any way?

I never did.

Old Post May 11th, 2009 08:03 PM
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

duke games are supposed to be cheesy... you play them for the hoes and the comedy

I personally loved the N64 version.. used to 4 player deathmatch all the time

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post May 12th, 2009 05:12 AM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
duke games are supposed to be cheesy... you play them for the hoes and the comedy

And story no expression

Old Post May 12th, 2009 07:41 AM
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by Kazenji
And story no expression
laughing out loud

Old Post May 12th, 2009 08:10 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Whats funny ?

Duke 3D onwards including the console games had decent stories just not Half-Life quality that people are after.

Old Post May 12th, 2009 10:20 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

No-one ever played DN3D for the story. It;s simply not something associated with Duke Nukem. it really was the strippers and kicking the urinals.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post May 12th, 2009 11:20 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote