KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Wii Fit

Wii Fit
Started by: SpikeSpiegel

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SpikeSpiegel
Swimming Bird

Wii Fit

I go to the gym about 3 times a week, and work out at home every day, but I thought I'd give this a try. Make working out more fun, etc. So far I'm enjoying it, except for a few problems (such as BMI not being a good indicator of fitness for people who are muscular, and it measuring your "fitness age" by how well you can balance). I'm aiming to play for 30 mins - an hour every day, and I'm pleased to report that I am physically fit big grin

Anyone else picked this up yet?

I'm not going there to die. I'm going there to see if I really am alive.
Check my Bio for my stories [Last Updated - 27th July 2008]

Old Post Apr 28th, 2008 09:33 AM
SpikeSpiegel is currently offline Click here to Send SpikeSpiegel a Private Message Find more posts by SpikeSpiegel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

the sentiment behind it is good....the games industry has long been accused of helping cause obesity and this goes a little way to addressing the balance...but personally i think it's a token gesture and wont actually help anybody

cant see the "fun" in it myself...but then i'd rather go around killing people with guns in my games smile

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Apr 28th, 2008 09:42 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black Yoshi
The Best Yoshi

I would get this game if I had a Wii.

Unfortunately, I don't.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2008 01:15 PM
Black Yoshi is currently offline Click here to Send Black Yoshi a Private Message Find more posts by Black Yoshi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Yup, very good. With obvious shortcomings as Spike mentiond above, but so long as you are willing to put the effort in, then great stuff.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Apr 28th, 2008 01:31 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

Im getting this for my mother since it comes out around mothers day, I'll probably check it out once I do.

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2008 03:36 PM
@stroFan is currently offline Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Not out here for another month stick out tongue

Though, sheesh, if it measures things by how well you can balance...I am screwed.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Apr 28th, 2008 04:16 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

How are you on one leg?

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Apr 29th, 2008 02:00 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
T.M
Welcome to The Suck

It is sold out everywhere here.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2008 03:11 PM
T.M is currently offline Click here to Send T.M a Private Message Find more posts by T.M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Brilliant move by Nintendo, I think.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2008 06:23 PM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

I picked it up today. I did the hula hoop and some jogging, then a yoga pose. My BMI was normal and right at the "healthy" score, but my WiiFit age which it got from checking my balance was 37(im 23), it said im much weaker than I should be. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post May 22nd, 2008 02:51 AM
@stroFan is currently offline Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FlappingMangera
flapper of the mangera

It seems like a great piece of technology, given the shortcomings mentioned. I heard the best part is the trainer telling you what to do, and I sometimes need that when I work out. If I can find it I'll probably get it. Odds are the retirement communities are already scooping up all them, what with old people waking up at 5 in the morning and easily beating normal people to stores.

Old Post May 22nd, 2008 04:30 PM
FlappingMangera is currently offline Click here to Send FlappingMangera a Private Message Find more posts by FlappingMangera Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Just got it, will post review later.

Old Post May 22nd, 2008 11:53 PM
LanceWindu is currently offline Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Here's a quick review...

I'm obese according to the game, gonna see if I can get down to "regular" overweight with the game in the next 3 months.

I've only done 23 minutes with it so far since I'm not used to exercising. I'm sweating like a pig right now, as if I just had a 2 hour sex session.

The games are really fun and keep you interested in what you're doing, unlike regular exercising. There's a nice variety to the game as well. Lots still left to unlock.

First impressions of the game are really positive. I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

Oh, and @st, your Mii was cheering me on in most of the mini-games, made me giggle. stick out tongue

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 05:16 AM
LanceWindu is currently offline Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
appleptree

Now it is quite difficult to find it, most stores are out of stock, I have visited the buy.com. amazon, and bestbuy, they are all out of stock. It is great game, I saw others play it.

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 06:30 AM
appleptree is currently offline Click here to Send appleptree a Private Message Find more posts by appleptree Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

I can't see the appeal of standing on a stupid board, staring at a TV screen, and running on the spot. It would drive me nuts.

Good exercise is a form of meditation. I can't see how you'd get it from this. Still, if it gets the fatties doing some, it's all good.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Phucked Up
I've only done 23 minutes with it so far since I'm not used to exercising. I'm sweating like a pig right now, as if I just had a 2 hour sex session.

It's unlikely that you would know what "a 2 hour sex session" would feel like seeing as you've admitted to being fat and "not used to exercising".

Unless you mean a 2-hour wankathon, of course...

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 06:48 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
@stroFan
SMUDGE

Originally posted by Phucked Up
Oh, and @st, your Mii was cheering me on in most of the mini-games, made me giggle. stick out tongue

Creepy. laughing out loud

I was playing on the family Wii, so I didnt have any friends cheering for me. I dont have enough to space in my bedroom to play on my Wii. sad

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 01:00 PM
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
I can't see the appeal of standing on a stupid board, staring at a TV screen, and running on the spot. It would drive me nuts.

Good exercise is a form of meditation. I can't see how you'd get it from this. Still, if it gets the fatties doing some, it's all good.

It's unlikely that you would know what "a 2 hour sex session" would feel like seeing as you've admitted to being fat and "not used to exercising".

Unless you mean a 2-hour wankathon, of course...

...Was there a reason for that? Don't be a troll, dude, come on. Stop that.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 01:06 PM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Originally posted by General Kaliero
...Was there a reason for that? Don't be a troll, dude, come on. Stop that.

Just questioning the validity of the analogy...

I'm a seeker of truths, you see.

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 01:48 PM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Originally posted by @st
Creepy. laughing out loud

I was playing on the family Wii, so I didnt have any friends cheering for me. I dont have enough to space in my bedroom to play on my Wii. sad

Yeah, we had to move the Wii from the bedroom to the living room just to play.

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 07:15 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by @st
I picked it up today. I did the hula hoop and some jogging, then a yoga pose. My BMI was normal and right at the "healthy" score, but my WiiFit age which it got from checking my balance was 37(im 23), it said im much weaker than I should be. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Yeah, honestly, forget the Wii Age0 just skip checking it entirely (go out the body test when it asks if you want to stop early). it bears no relation to anything useful; you can do great on the age but be highly unfit and rubbish at all the exercises.

The Fit Age is the weakest part of the package. The other problem is how easy it is to 'cheat' the system, which is an issue for people interested in scoring well.

To put that in context- all other things being equal, a high score in an exercise is better than a low one as it shows you aer being stable. But the fact is that it is possible- in fact, very easy- to get high scores in all the exercises whilst not actually doing the activity even remotely correctly. Some of my highest scores in the harder exercises (like King of the Dance) were whilst I was trying to get the position right and is basically just me standing on one leg. Now I can HALF get it right, my scores have plummeted (because obviously, I am much less steady whilst trying to hold a foot behind my head than I was when just standing on one leg) but I am far closer to actually doing the exercise.

You;ve got to be unafraid to take a cut in points in order to do things right and therefore actually exercise yourself, and I worry some might not do that and will think they are doing great just because they are scoring well.

BtVS

Old Post May 24th, 2008 01:26 PM