KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Battlezone » inimalist's Tournament

inimalist's Tournament
Started by: inimalist

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (21): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
tsilamini

my thoughts are as follows:

dupe/summoning is allowed, so long as the product is a meta-tier being.

Basically, this prevents the herald swarm I was worried about, but also allows for the summoning of fodder or of specific beings that might add to the team. So like, if you could somehow summon Cloak because you want a TPer, fine, this is allowed. If you want to summon a bunch of rock golems that are ALWAYS shown to be meta level or below, sure, good fodder to tie up enemies.

Drafting Maddrox would be fine then, because he lacks the ability to create herald level dupes. Drafting a herald level character who duplicates themselves would not be allowed. Even if the herald would create only meta level dupes, this is NOT allowed, as there would be too much ambiguity about what a "meta" level Silver Surfer would be like. Basically, we go by the level seen on panel for whatever is summoned/duped. If a character has only ever summoned herald level demons, they are not allowed to summon demons, even if we can infer that they could summon meta level ones. [as a consideration to this, if it is stated on panel in text or some other form that a character can summon metas, though they have only summoned herald level, this should be good, but such summons would have no on panel appearances to judge their abilities, and would essentially be treated as a placeholder... for lack of a better term]

Summoned and duplicated characters may receive no power amping whatsoever. This is to prevent the obvious loop hole of creating 1000 meta level dupes, then amping them to the amp limit.

Old Post May 9th, 2011 11:03 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Simbon

If it's not too late, I'd like to try this as well -- though the characters I'd like to use are a little obscure, so it may take me a little while to get the scans. A question: what are the rules on equipment, space-ships, etc.?

Xemnu Respect Thread

Old Post May 14th, 2011 05:12 AM
Simbon is currently offline Click here to Send Simbon a Private Message Find more posts by Simbon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

lol, so, the only truism I know is that, as soon as I say "I will have X done by Y" everything else in my life kicks into high gear. This weekend is tourney weekend hopefully!

not too late at all, in fact, I'm encouraging new participants.

All equipment that might be considered standard equipment is allowed, so long as the character is not raised above the limits.

In terms of spaceships and such, I'll use an example from Kandy's tourney. Blair drafted Nero from the star trek universe, seemingly for the use of his ship. In a circumstance like this, it is the ship that must be below the limits, regardless of whether the character is (so, you can't draft a meta character that has trans level equipment)

Basically, everything is allowed so long as it doesn't make whatever character you are using stronger than magneto. Obscure characters are encouraged smile

Old Post May 14th, 2011 05:59 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Simbon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by inimalist
lol, so, the only truism I know is that, as soon as I say "I will have X done by Y" everything else in my life kicks into high gear. This weekend is tourney weekend hopefully!

not too late at all, in fact, I'm encouraging new participants.

All equipment that might be considered standard equipment is allowed, so long as the character is not raised above the limits.

In terms of spaceships and such, I'll use an example from Kandy's tourney. Blair drafted Nero from the star trek universe, seemingly for the use of his ship. In a circumstance like this, it is the ship that must be below the limits, regardless of whether the character is (so, you can't draft a meta character that has trans level equipment)

Basically, everything is allowed so long as it doesn't make whatever character you are using stronger than magneto. Obscure characters are encouraged smile

Would it be the actual tournament or the draft this weekend? I ask because I will be without internet for all of Saturday and part of Sunday.

Xemnu Respect Thread

Old Post May 14th, 2011 06:06 AM
Simbon is currently offline Click here to Send Simbon a Private Message Find more posts by Simbon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ambient
MAJIN_OVERLORD

Most likely it would be the drafts...

My Artwork

Old Post May 14th, 2011 08:00 PM
Ambient is currently offline Click here to Send Ambient a Private Message Find more posts by Ambient Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

ha, most likely it will be me posting finalized rules, some recruitment stuff in the anime and comic versus forums

here is the deal: DRAFTS WILL BEGIN FRIDAY

Old Post May 14th, 2011 08:40 PM
tsilamini

Registration is open for participants, judges and consultants!

Draft:

Drafts will be done in 3 rounds, with each contestant selecting one low-mid herald level character through a PM to me in each round. For the limit, think a normal level Magneto showing. Choices will be selected in a_first come, first serve basis, and all characters from one round must be settled before moving on to the next._No duplicate characters allowed, however the same character from different time-lines or realities, etc, is acceptable.

Strict limits for all types of powers are nearly impossible to give in a post such as this. If you are concerned about the strict limit for a power, say a blast or a character's speed, please ask in the tournament thread or PM me.

Players who miss draft deadlines loose all prep for one match per deadline missed.

Each draft much include a link to a bio page (wiki is fine) about the character.

Each round of drafts will be conducted in their own thread where everyone can agree or disagree on the character's acceptability under the power limits and if they are "never-used".

No characters who have attacks that would be unstoppable generally. A_psychic or speedster attack is something you could reasonably expect and prepare for. An attack that is always 100% effective and lethal would not be allowed._Spiritual attacks that work like chi, energy or as an amp are allowed, attacking someone's soul would not be, as few characters have any defence against this.

No characters who cannot be KO'd by a means generally available to most characters. Someone who is intangible to physical attacks, but still can be attacked by energy or other means is fine, someone who is only vulnerable to a rare magic item or some such, is not. A character who is unkillable would be fine so long as they can be KO'd reasonably.

Time-Travel is not allowed in prep or in the battle. This includes travelling through realities. Other forms of travel are allowed_and teleportation like that of Nightcrawler or Cloak is acceptable. To expand on this point:

A is the start location
B is the alternate dimension
C is the end point

all travel A to C directly is allowed (except through time)

all travel A to C_via_B is allowed (again, minus time)

if a character stops in B between A and C, they have BFR'd themselves.

The teleportation/dimension allowance is a caveat to allow a broader use of teleportation that just might happen to violate the word of the "no dimensional travel rule". It will not be used as a way to get around the spirit of the "no dimensional travel rule".

All other forms of reality, time and probability manipulation are allowed, however, attacks using them directly would be banned from the tournament as they are unblockable for the vast majority of characters. However, all abilities used through_these powers must be shown in a scan. A time manipulator would not simply be allowed to manipulate time in any way you wanted, but only in ways they can be shown as manipulating it_on panel.

All forms of magic are allowed, with the above conditions applied. Dr. Strange must have cast a spell in a comic to use it.

Power duplication is allowed so long as the ensuring duplication would not amp a character above the limit.

Character summoning and duplication are allowed. Any summoned or duplicated character must be a high meta or below. For example: Drafting Maddrox would be fine because he lacks the ability to create herald level dupes. Drafting a herald level character who duplicates themselves would not be allowed._Even if the herald would create only meta level dupes, this is NOT allowed, as there would be too much ambiguity about what a "meta" level Silver Surfer would be like. If a character has only ever summoned herald level demons, they are not allowed to summon demons, even if we can infer that they_could_summon meta level ones.

Summoned and duplicated characters may receive no power amping whatsoever, this includes shielding.

No amalgams_may be drafted. If you find a way to amalgamate your characters during prep or the fight, this is allowed, so long as the amalgamated character does not violate the limits.

Characters are drafted with their standard equipment and may access any vehicles. However, equipment that is used must be within the limits, or the combination of the character and their equipment must be below the limits. A normal human who owns a high herald star-ship would be allowed, but the ship itself would be banned. A human with a meta level vehicle would be allowed, so long as the character is not above the limits while operating the vehicle.

In no way may you ever create through any means, anything that itself would violate these limits, or would cause your characters to violate these limits.

“Spirit of the Law”_- This means that even if something is not explicitly outlined in the rules, but is found to violate the spirit of the rule, it will also be banned.

I invite and value the input of all forum members during draft selections, however my word is final in all matters, including those beyond the draft.

Prep:

Prep is 5 min.

You can go anywhere, retrieve anything, with the above stipulations, so long as your characters would know these locations and items.

You may not interfere with the battlefield prior to the match.

During this period, you will have no knowledge of your opponents, and you can not interfere with the location they are in, even if you do know it.

Before the first match, user-names are not revealed for any_contestant. Each contestant will not know who they are against in the first round until after the prep posts are revealed, however, they will know the roster of the opponent's team.

Matches:

Unlimited posting with no order, though it is more sportsmanlike to allow a proper response to your arguments.

Matches will go until both sides feel they have said all they need to say, or for one week at a maximum.

Judges, appointed prior to the match, will give a public ruling on who they feel did a better job during the debate, not on which characters they think are more powerful or whose team would win in a forum fight. If a contestant did not use a character in the most effective manner, judges are to rule on how the character was used, not on the potential.

If a judge feels a contestant has made an incorrect statements about a character, or has interpreted a feat in a way that is not congruent with that character, or if a contestant is using feats completely out of context, this is to be taken into account during the judgement only. Judges must and are encouraged to use their own discretion when making judgements about these issues and part of this may be contradicting what a contestant has posted. However, meaningless arguments like “Hulk is stronger than Thor, dur!” are unacceptable, certainly unprofessional, and serve as grounds to ask for a second judgement, or in serious cases, to expel a judge from the tournament.

Contestants are not to publicly debate judgements, but can PM me if they feel someone is being prejudiced in their judgement (simply losing a match or disagreeing with a judge will not qualify).

All forum members, contestants, judges, etc, may communicate with each other freely during the tournament, including giving tips, scans, strategies, etc. The only exception is that contestants may have no tournament related communication with those who are judging their ongoing match. This is a zero tolerance policy, and will result in immediate removal of the contestant and judge from the tournament.

- i

Old Post May 16th, 2011 11:19 PM
tsilamini

Additional Rules

Themes:_You have the option of choosing a theme. They could be a broad as something like "Avengers" or "Power Cosmic", but not just "cosmic" or "New York". When you sign up for the tourney, you pick a theme. For each character choice, give me, like literally, one sentence as to how it fits the theme, ie: Man-Thing is a plant, or a Mystic, or etc. I will accept even the most broad justifications for themes, again, I don't want to hinder people's creativity, however, there are benefits to picking a team. Depending on whether we want to do a round robin or just a straight tournament, the person whose characters best fit their team will get a bye or an automatic win in their points total. This will be determined by a vote everyone, inducing participants, can decide on. To ensure anonymity, after all draft choices are decided, themes and characters will be matched up for the vote, but user-names are never used. However, just choosing a theme in the first place will earn an additional 15 min of prep! This will be awarded to all players who choose 3 characters that fit a theme.

Under-used characters: I stole this idea directly from Psycho Gundam, so props to him. Basically the same idea as above, there is no "mandatory" use of new characters, however, each character on your team that has never been used in a tournament before gives you an additional 5 min of prep time, and if all of your characters have never been used, you get another additional 5 min. In total, any contestant who has 3 never used characters would get an additional 20 min of prep, and this would stack with the 15 from the theme. When you draft a character you think has never been used, you must inform me of this in the pm or it doesn't happen. I will post that this character is being drafted as “never-used”, and it is up to people to prove this wrong, the onus is not on the person drafting the character. This rule will be slightly modified for non-comic characters. Individual characters can still receive a 5 min prep bonus, but only teams comprised entirely of comic book characters can receive the additional 5 min team bonus. A team with non-comic characters can only receive 15 min of prep through unique characters, whereas a team entirely of comic characters can be 20 min. The reason for this is that non-comic characters have been allowed in few tournaments in the past, and would present an exploit to easily earn another 5 min of prep without having to rely on obscure characters. Goku, Vegita and Trunks may all be unused, however, they certainly do not meet the spirit of the under-used rule.

Teams:_Teams of up to 3 contestants are allowed. In a two contestant team, each member would have exclusive control over one character, decided during the prep post, with one character shared between the two. Three player teams have a single character assigned to each member. This character assignment can change between battles, but never within the same battle. Characters not defined as exclusive to a player or as a shared character may not be used during combat. Solo contestants do not need to worry about assigning characters.

All teams may only submit a single prep post, and it may be written by a single member, or by all members to any degree. This is the only time when one member of the team may control the actions of characters not assigned to them. Otherwise, members may only control the actions of their assigned character, or characters classified as "shared". It would be reasonable for a player controlling Wolverine to say Colossus (controlled by their partner) throws him for a fast ball special, or vice versa (so long as posts made by the member controlling the other character don't contradict this, ie: colossus couldn't throw wolverine if he was already bear hugging another enemy). It wouldn't be ok for one member to describe the entire attack strategy used by the team.

Prep Time: I just want to clarify this in an easy to read section:

All contestants have 5 min of prep.

For each unused character on a team, contestants earn an additional 5 min of prep. Added to the normal prep-time, this gives 10 min for one unused character, 15 for two and 20 for three. If all characters are from comics, 5 min would be added to the total, bringing it to 25 min of prep.

If a contestant selects a theme they earn an additional 15 min of prep on top of the 5 initially, giving a total of 20 min. With unused characters, this increases to 25 (for one), 30 or 35 min. If all unused characters are from comics, a total of 40 min of prep is awarded to the contestant.

- i

Old Post May 16th, 2011 11:19 PM
tsilamini

DRAFTING BEGINS FRIDAY

and will run until Monday (totally just realized I will be camping this weekend, but I should be able to receive messages... worst case scenario, I post the drafts on Monday). Contestants must send me their selection (of one character) by PM. If the contestant is going for a theme, the theme MUST be identified in that PM, along with a sentence about how the character fits the theme. Failure to provide the theme or the sentence will result in no theme being selected. If a contestant believes they are drafting a never-used character, that MUST be included in the PM, or else the character will not be considered a never used.

This must all be contained within a single PM, and must be received no later than 12:00 AM May 23rd, EST. Failure to provide a draft by that point will result in a loss of all prep time for one battle.

Old Post May 16th, 2011 11:40 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

I should pore over the rules in a bit mroe detail. Might have some suggestions. I'll try to peruse them before drafts.

Old Post May 17th, 2011 02:12 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dmills
Centurion Prime

Hmmm... I'm tempted. Could be fun.

Old Post May 17th, 2011 02:58 AM
dmills is currently offline Click here to Send dmills a Private Message Find more posts by dmills Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by Digi
I should pore over the rules in a bit mroe detail. Might have some suggestions. I'll try to peruse them before drafts.

ha, ya, that might be good. I don't think there are any glaring issues, but you might be able to spot an exploit/issue I didn't

Originally posted by dmills
Hmmm... I'm tempted. Could be fun.

DO IT!

Old Post May 17th, 2011 03:13 AM
tsilamini

ugh, totally forgot this one:

no BFR

Old Post May 18th, 2011 02:56 PM
tsilamini

and a clarification: duplicate and summoned characters may amp themselves under their own power. so, your drafted characters wouldn't be able to increase their powers, but they may use their own abilities to buff themselves (ie: if you summon a character with shields, they may shield themselves or your drafted characters)

Old Post May 18th, 2011 04:43 PM
Charlotte DeBel
White Queen of KMC

Could you please remind me the rules on powercopying? It's allowed as long as the character doesn't get himself over Magneto level by engaging in powercopying?

Beware Blonde Badasses Emma Frost K' Dante

RIP Fluffy

Old Post May 19th, 2011 04:33 PM
Charlotte DeBel is currently offline Click here to Send Charlotte DeBel a Private Message Find more posts by Charlotte DeBel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

yes

though, this shouldn't be entirely problematic, as it seems it would require that the power being copied itself would be above the limits

however, yes, if the character would make themselves above the limit, you can't do it

Old Post May 19th, 2011 05:19 PM
Ambient
MAJIN_OVERLORD

So to clarify it is against the rule to amp our drafted characters over stablish limit same as dupes/clones?

My Artwork

Old Post May 19th, 2011 08:42 PM
Ambient is currently offline Click here to Send Ambient a Private Message Find more posts by Ambient Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ambient
MAJIN_OVERLORD

Another ? If we somehow able to amalgate say drafted char into one being would they're dupes be considered a single entity therefore is able to amp himself without breaking the rules so long as it does not go above limits? Lol totally giving my plan out in the open or is it.

My Artwork

Old Post May 19th, 2011 09:36 PM
Ambient
MAJIN_OVERLORD

Another one.. Lol's

So if we summon say a char. we can use/ copy theyre powers and add it to our own drafted chars. That does not break the rules?

My Artwork

Old Post May 19th, 2011 09:49 PM
tsilamini

Originally posted by Ambient
So to clarify it is against the rule to amp our drafted characters over stablish limit same as dupes/clones?

yes, this is laid out plainly in the official rules

Another ? If we somehow able to amalgate say drafted char into one being would they're dupes be considered a single entity therefore is able to amp himself without breaking the rules so long as it does not go above limits? Lol totally giving my plan out in the open or is it.

yes, but the amalgam would have to be a meta level character to duplicate itself

Another one.. Lol's

So if we summon say a char. we can use/ copy theyre powers and add it to our own drafted chars. That does not break the rules?

drafted characters would be able to mimic summoned character's abilities, yes, with all the above stipulations

Old Post May 19th, 2011 11:57 PM