KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Storylines/clitches you love/hate in video games

Storylines/clitches you love/hate in video games
Started by: Phanteros

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Phanteros
the Shade knight

Storylines/clitches you love/hate in video games

What story elements you enjoy and videogames and what story element or cliche is a turn off to you?

for example I like supernatural modern setting story element and I hate generic white hair heroes/villians unless it actually serves a purpose.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2009 10:56 PM
Phanteros is currently offline Click here to Send Phanteros a Private Message Find more posts by Phanteros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

I like your generic sci-fi setting(think Mass Effect, Starcraft) and I definitely don't mind the good old fashioned fantasy setting(think Warcraft).

I absolutely loathe post-apocalyptic/retro-futuristic/"Mad Max" kind of settings. Borderlands is a notable exception to this, but that's probably because of heavy underlying sci-fi elements.

I generally don't mind the tropes and cliches that obviously come with these genres.

EDIT: I suppose I should mention that I, for some reason, really enjoy the Precursor trope/cliche. Or simply some kind of a highly advanced race existing inside a game's universe that doesn't really show itself and/or is shrouded in mystery for the most part.

Last edited by ArtificialGlory on Nov 5th, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Old Post Nov 5th, 2009 11:29 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

Love Sci Fi setting, but preferably one that isn't cheesy but is at least realistic and has advanced-but-not-cheesy tech (like Mass Effect).

I like fantasy settings, although they can get generic/repetitive.

I love modern RPG settings when they're done right, those are unusual and yet the modern world has tons of content.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2009 11:58 PM
Hewhoknowsall is currently offline Click here to Send Hewhoknowsall a Private Message Find more posts by Hewhoknowsall Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Games where you start off with all your powers and then you lose them and then have to gain them all back and usually the best attack only get to use right near the end.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2010 05:25 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spartan005

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
Love Sci Fi setting, but preferably one that isn't cheesy but is at least realistic and has advanced-but-not-cheesy tech (like Mass Effect).

I like fantasy settings, although they can get generic/repetitive.

I love modern RPG settings when they're done right, those are unusual and yet the modern world has tons of content.

Mass effect is cheesy though... it looks identical to star trek or any 70s sci fi film.

By the way, whats a clitch?

Thanks Vinny!

Old Post Feb 16th, 2010 07:50 AM
Spartan005 is currently offline Click here to Send Spartan005 a Private Message Find more posts by Spartan005 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

When done well i actually enjoy the interactive quicktime events during cutscenes. When it's done right it can give a sense of interactivity where there usually isnt any and it gives a rewarding rush. When it's done wrong, however, it's just monotonous. There is nothing worse than having to sit through the same ten minute cutscene just because you mistimed pressing a button.

I hate when games make you sit through cutscenes, regardless of how many times you completed the game. I also HATE having to sit through the goddamn credits after finishing a game just so i can save and exit the game.

As far as story lines, i enjoy the classic white hat and black hat scenario. Even though i've done it countless times. I love building my up my character so that i can avenge my murdered family/people.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2010 12:00 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bladewind

I really love the "your friend is a traitor" cliche. But only if you really have no idea they are. You're going to die whatever you do so let it be a good death in the style of "300" is one my favorite situations in games too.
I'm fine with every setting that doesn't include too many zombies or n****. (Although I prefer fantasy and sci-fi)

Old Post Feb 16th, 2010 06:54 PM
Bladewind is currently offline Click here to Send Bladewind a Private Message Find more posts by Bladewind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Originally posted by Spartan005
Mass effect is cheesy though... it looks identical to star trek or any 70s sci fi film.

By the way, whats a clitch?

Not really, no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clich%C3%A9

Last edited by ArtificialGlory on Feb 16th, 2010 at 07:19 PM

Old Post Feb 16th, 2010 07:17 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

This is going waaaay back to before medieval RPGs having a scifi element (and that becoming a cliche) but I like the storyline in Faxanadu and how it kind of mirrors the X-Files. Plus it's like, the first medieval/Teutonic RPG with a plot that ultimately turns out to be alien invasion.

For those who haven't played this underrated game, the plot (which is a side story to the Xanadu/Dragon Slayer series) starts with you as an elf returning to your home town, the elf capital at the bottom of the world tree. The whole place has gone to hell as the water stops flowing and monsters attack everything. The setting seems like a simple war between elves and dwarves since everyone calls the monsters "dwarves". About halfway through the game, you find out that in actuality, the chaos was started by a meteorite that hit the world tree and contained an alien creature called the Evil One who started spreading a poison made from the dissolved meteorite that caused elves and the world tree to die while mutating the dwarves into monsters and putting them under his mental control. The game then turns its focus to stopping the spread of the poison, getting the Dragon Slayer sword from the Dwarf King whose like, the last sane dwarf left and then killing the alien to stop a full scale invasion.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Feb 16th, 2010 07:23 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Darth, Might and Magic predates Faxanadu. Just saying.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2010 07:45 PM
MooCowofJustice
Too Far Gone

Hate: Anti-heroism, man vs demons, abnormally large weaponry (swords, lances, hammers).

All hail Scythe, King of the Sigs.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2010 10:15 PM
MooCowofJustice is currently offline Click here to Send MooCowofJustice a Private Message Find more posts by MooCowofJustice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juk3n
Devils Advocate

Hate: sorry to say, JRPG cliches of barely dressed Girly girls, or in FF case Lady Boys, dancing around with weapons twice the size of themselves.

I mean what do our developers across the pond have against body armor? I dont give a flying monkey about a panty shot of the lead girl in FF13Billionfiftyhundred. But if i saw some cool looking body armor like ie: N7 customizable in ME2, i might consider joining the FF revolution.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2010 10:56 PM
Juk3n is currently offline Click here to Send Juk3n a Private Message Find more posts by Juk3n Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Originally posted by Juk3n
Hate: sorry to say, JRPG cliches of barely dressed Girly girls, or in FF case Lady Boys, dancing around with weapons twice the size of themselves.

I mean what do our developers across the pond have against body armor? I dont give a flying monkey about a panty shot of the lead girl in FF13Billionfiftyhundred. But if i saw some cool looking body armor like ie: N7 customizable in ME2, i might consider joining the FF revolution.

Don't forget the hair.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2010 11:34 PM
MooCowofJustice
Too Far Gone

Hah, the hair. Japanese hair gel must be spit from God or something.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2010 01:03 AM
MooCowofJustice is currently offline Click here to Send MooCowofJustice a Private Message Find more posts by MooCowofJustice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FinalAnswer
Flower

I love symbology and themes that make you think. A prime example would be the Marathon series.

I hate the overuse of villains turning into giant mutants, something which a particular series (You all know what I'm talking about) overuses.

Howdy!

Old Post Feb 17th, 2010 01:15 AM
FinalAnswer is currently offline Click here to Send FinalAnswer a Private Message Find more posts by FinalAnswer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by Juk3n

Lack of armor did not originate in JRPGs and pre-dates video games entirely, for the most part...go look at some old Dungeons and Dragons books.

Personally, I don't care how cliche it can get, I love fantasy settings. Give me swords and magic and I'm a happy girl.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Feb 17th, 2010 01:33 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

pretty much everything that metal gear solid is famous for i hate in video games...

Old Post Feb 17th, 2010 01:41 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Hate:
Star Trek-like/LotR-like background and designs, generic zombie/virus infestation storylines, most FPSs and MMORPGs

Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
Hate: Anti-heroism, man vs demons, abnormally large weaponry (swords, lances, hammers).

God of War?

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Last edited by AsbestosFlaygon on Feb 17th, 2010 at 02:18 AM

Old Post Feb 17th, 2010 02:15 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
God of War?

Or Warcraft :P

Old Post Feb 17th, 2010 02:22 AM
MooCowofJustice
Too Far Gone

Devil May Cry, JRPGs, and a lot fall into those categories.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2010 02:49 AM