KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Biden's student loan forgiveness plan

Is this plan a bad idea?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes 3 27.27%
No 8 72.73%
I honestly don't care 0 0%
Total: 11 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Biden's student loan forgiveness plan
Started by: Impediment

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Impediment
Endless

Biden's student loan forgiveness plan

https://www.verifythis.com/article/...18-909b76cd4d35

Share your thoughts and opinions.

What do you think about this?

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Aug 27th, 2022 02:24 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

great idea, should have been more but whatev

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2022 02:43 AM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

It's nice for people who currently have student loans, but other than that stupid and ultimately pointless. Universities will likely just jack up their prices.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2022 03:09 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

43 million Americans have student loan debt, so it's arguably the most effective Government relief program in decades.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Aug 27th, 2022 04:12 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Good start, now force universities and colleges at gunpoint to make themselves affordable. thumb up

Old Post Aug 27th, 2022 07:39 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

While it's not perfect, I am pleasantly surprised Biden actually managed to pull it off.

In addition to the 10-20k, they are even covering unpaid interest. Going forward, as long as borrowers stay current with monthly payments, they won't have to pay more than their original loan. This includes income-based repayment plans, which can allow borrowers to have 0$ monthly payments.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2022 08:13 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Here's a radical thought. How about just paying graduates enough so they can afford to pay their own debts within a reasonable time frame.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2022 08:42 AM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah, fantastic job.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2022 09:48 AM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Imp I hit yes by mistake please change my vote, apologies.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2022 09:50 AM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Here's a radical thought. How about just paying graduates enough so they can afford to pay their own debts within a reasonable time frame.
how would you propose that the executive branch accomplishes that? $80 minimum wage?

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Aug 27th, 2022 03:00 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden_2.0
Awful

Originally posted by Tzeentch
how would you propose that the executive branch accomplishes that? $80 minimum wage?

I'm not proposing the executive branch do it.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2022 03:31 PM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

It's not an either/or scenario.

Workers should be paid a fairer share than they are, and we should have affordable/free higher education.
Originally posted by ares834
It's nice for people who currently have student loans, but other than that stupid and ultimately pointless. Universities will likely just jack up their prices.

They've supposedly included provisions to prevent that. I guess time will tell how it works out.

Last edited by StyleTime on Aug 27th, 2022 at 04:45 PM

Old Post Aug 27th, 2022 04:37 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Certainly a Step in the right direction, and impressed Biden has gone ahead with it.

Still kinda feels like its not enough to really help. But enough for the right to b*** about inflation.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2022 05:16 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Style time is spot on re: a fair days pay for a hard day's work. When I was young almost everyone in the UK believed that.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2022 05:47 PM
Tzeentch
#gottem

I'm not proposing the executive branch do it.
then what's your point really. I mean if we're talking about perfect scenarios then higher education should just be free, along with food, housing and power. Perfect is the enemy of good however, and there's nothing wrong with incremental steps to improve peoples' quality of life.

As for the rest of you I really don't understand the midwit cynicism on display in here. As I pointed out above there are 43 million Americans with student debt. Half of them have less than 10k in debt, meaning that for those people their debt is completely wiped out. Considering that most of the people who have student loans are young adults and therefore people who are just getting started with their lives and our financially vulnerable, how can anyone with a brain say that this is not a titanic burden lifted off our society.

Last edited by Tzeentch on Aug 27th, 2022 at 05:56 PM

Old Post Aug 27th, 2022 05:47 PM
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

then what's your point really. I mean if we're talking about perfect scenarios then higher education should just be free, along with food, housing and power.
it was free for me, I got grants in the UK to go to University. It meant diversity of ethnic and economic groups was more common then in HE. All gone now, only for the rich tbh. Sending my kids has cost me a fortune.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2022 05:48 PM
jaden_2.0
Awful

then what's your point really. I mean if we're talking about perfect scenarios then higher education should just be free, along with food, housing and power. Perfect is the enemy of good however, and there's nothing wrong with incremental steps to improve peoples' quality of life.

As for the rest of you I really don't understand the midwit cynicism on display in here. As I pointed out above there are 43 million Americans with student debt. Half of them have less than 10k in debt, meaning that for those people their debt is completely wiped out. Considering that most of the people who have student loans are young adults and therefore people who are just getting started with their lives and our financially vulnerable, how can anyone with a brain say that this is not a titanic burden lifted off our society.

My point is that a single income for a person with only a high school education used to be enough to comfortably sustain a family with 3+ children whilst buying a property. Now a couple both with university level educations could barely afford to rent a 1 bed apartment due to cost of living outstripping earnings by an enormous amount.

Having private debt written off or paid for by the taxpayer will just encourage those institutions who are owed the debt to continue their practices because they'll think the government will always cough up regardless. This exact scenario is playing out right now in the banking industry. It also means that employers won't get any pressure into paying employees a fair rate because they know the government will step in to help. This exact situation is currently playing out in the UK where energy bills are skyrocketing and the government is giving households money to pay their bills and low and behold the energy companies have already announced that bills are to double again in January. The energy price cap now having gone from £1,300 in March 2022 to £3,549 yesterday and expected to go as high as £7,700 buy April 2023 and so long as the government keeps stepping in to pay people's bills I wonder what will keep happening to the prices.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2022 07:10 PM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
it was free for me, I got grants in the UK to go to University. It meant diversity of ethnic and economic groups was more common then in HE. All gone now, only for the rich tbh. Sending my kids has cost me a fortune.

Tbf theres massively more Uni admissions now, so its a lot more expensive for the government to pay for.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2022 07:12 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

As for the rest of you I really don't understand the midwit cynicism on display in here. As I pointed out above there are 43 million Americans with student debt. Half of them have less than 10k in debt, meaning that for those people their debt is completely wiped out.

Average is $40k according to this:

https://abc17news.com/stacker-news/...0to%20Experian.

But yeah its a promising first step for sure.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2022 07:14 PM
Smurph
------

Originally posted by StyleTime
It's not an either/or scenario.

Workers should be paid a fairer share than they are, and we should have affordable/free higher education.

thumb up two things can be true at the same time.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2022 07:30 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote