KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Should we fear god?

Fearing god!
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes we should fear him. 15 45.45%
No I do not fear him. 12 36.36%
I have no idea 4 12.12%
I argee and disargee! 2 6.06%
Total: 33 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Should we fear god?
Started by: Jackie Malfoy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mandrag Ganon
Seeker

quote: (post)
Originally posted by FeceMan
When the term 'fear' is used, it is not like, "OMG IM GOING 2B SMITED!!!111111!!!!!" fear. It is more reverence and awe.

Either way, I voted yes.

Yes, EXACTALLY.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2005 09:28 PM
Mandrag Ganon is currently offline Click here to Send Mandrag Ganon a Private Message Find more posts by Mandrag Ganon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

When scripture says "That the beginning of wisdom is to fear the Lord", it really should be translated awesomeness of greatness....not fear.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2005 10:11 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cking
King of the muscle shirts

no, it should be kept that way, and that is a very good verse, who wrote, was it solomon?

Old Post Jul 31st, 2005 04:38 AM
cking is currently offline Click here to Send cking a Private Message Find more posts by cking Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mega Symbiote
The Man Of Steel

If you don't do anything wrong, and believe in God, you shouldn't have any reason to fear.

I heard you were crazy, but I didn't think you were stupid.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2005 05:19 AM
Mega Symbiote is currently offline Click here to Send Mega Symbiote a Private Message Find more posts by Mega Symbiote Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PsyrenAviance
The Body Beautiful

it is respect for him not really fear

Old Post Aug 6th, 2005 05:21 AM
PsyrenAviance is currently offline Click here to Send PsyrenAviance a Private Message Find more posts by PsyrenAviance Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Imperial_Samura
Anticrust Smurf

But then, rather unfailry I think, it's impossible for us NOT to do wrong, or so they say. We are supposadly all born with the sin of what two people did who knows how long ago in the Garden.

From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2005 05:22 AM
Imperial_Samura is currently offline Click here to Send Imperial_Samura a Private Message Find more posts by Imperial_Samura Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PsyrenAviance
The Body Beautiful

he knows we can't help but to sin.thats why he forgives us

Old Post Aug 6th, 2005 05:28 AM
PsyrenAviance is currently offline Click here to Send PsyrenAviance a Private Message Find more posts by PsyrenAviance Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
svnthdysthsbbth
www.lifetalk.net

Fear of the Lord the
is in the Old Testament used as a designation of true piety
(Prov. 1:7; Job 28:28; Ps. 19:9). It is a fear conjoined with
love and hope, and is therefore not a slavish dread, but rather
filial reverence. (Comp. Deut. 32:6; Hos. 11:1; Isa. 1:2; 63:16;
64:8.) God is called "the Fear of Isaac" (Gen. 31:42, 53), i.e.,
the God whom Isaac feared.

A holy fear is enjoined also in the New Testament as a
preventive of carelessness in religion, and as an incentive to
penitence (Matt. 10:28; 2 Cor. 5:11; 7:1; Phil. 2:12; Eph. 5:21;
Heb. 12:28, 29).

Old Post Aug 10th, 2005 07:14 AM
svnthdysthsbbth is currently offline Find more posts by svnthdysthsbbth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
and is therefore not a slavish dread
oh yeha rastaman

Old Post Aug 10th, 2005 07:20 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

The term “fear” is used in various senses in scripture. Fear can mean terror, dread and horror. But it also can mean awe, reverence and respect.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2005 09:50 AM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

What kind of a father would say to his children....I love you, but if you don't do as I say, I'm going to throw you into everlasting burning punishment....??....That is a human indoctrination...and a tyrannical one at that..In fact, it's less than human....Is god more evil than a human father?

Old Post Aug 10th, 2005 04:11 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

god is a bad bad boy

Old Post Aug 11th, 2005 05:56 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Originally posted by finti
god is a bad bad boy

laughing out loud

Old Post Aug 11th, 2005 01:37 PM
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

quote:
Originally posted by frodo34x
We should fear his wrath, and the power he has to 'disown' us when it comes to judgement day.
If one is mean and evil they might have reason to fear him.......

Old Post Jun 8th, 2021 09:23 PM
Dude111 is currently offline Click here to Send Dude111 a Private Message Find more posts by Dude111 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Anyone who doesn't fear God (for whatever reason) is an idiot.

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Old Post Jun 8th, 2021 11:07 PM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dyajeep

fearing God is not like being scared or afraid of Him

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."
Ecclesiastes 12:13

if you fear God, you will keep His commandments, in relation with this:

"For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous."
I John 5:3

it's safe to say that "to fear God" is the same as "to love God"

Old Post Jul 8th, 2021 09:51 AM
dyajeep is currently offline Click here to Send dyajeep a Private Message Find more posts by dyajeep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Fear and love are not the same thing.

You can both fear AND love God though, as you should.

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Old Post Jul 8th, 2021 07:19 PM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dyajeep

Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
Fear and love are not the same thing.

in us humans, yes

but if keeping the Lord's commandments is both fearing and loving Him, then i suppose they are the same in that perspective

Old Post Jul 10th, 2021 05:59 AM
dyajeep is currently offline Click here to Send dyajeep a Private Message Find more posts by dyajeep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mariland3
Restricted

Account Restricted

In my experience if there were an all-powerful monotheistic being it's personality would be that of a sadistic piece of shit that gradually sucks joy out of a human's life until they're dead, granting that person as an infant just enough joy to define from it's oppisite just enough suffering to satisfy itself at the end of that person's life.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2021 10:16 PM
Mariland3 is currently offline Click here to Send Mariland3 a Private Message Find more posts by Mariland3 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Like Dawkins said, if god did exist, he’s a sadistic bully.

Last Edited by Blakemore on Jan 1st, 2000, at 00:00 AM

Old Post Jul 13th, 2021 05:22 AM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote