KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » what games made history

what games made history
Started by: x-box fanatic

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Spartan005

GTA was made historical b/c it was the first game that consisted of one giant map rather than levels along with the open ended gameplay. For that I'll give it credit, but it lacks in story and especially characters. In GTA3 the main character is a drug dealing, murderer who just escaped from jail. And you can't possibly say that GTA has a better story or characters than Halo or Halo 2.

And btw how could Halo have been a better game?????

Thanks Vinny!

Old Post Mar 25th, 2005 12:28 AM
Spartan005 is currently offline Click here to Send Spartan005 a Private Message Find more posts by Spartan005 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spartan005

Srry, I meant how could Halo possibly be any better than it already is???

Thanks Vinny!

Old Post Mar 25th, 2005 12:29 AM
Spartan005 is currently offline Click here to Send Spartan005 a Private Message Find more posts by Spartan005 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Joker1237

but does Halo have the IMPACT on the gaminging world as Mario or Mortal Kombat??

GTA would never had made it to the game systems as it did, IF Mortal Kombat did not take the first shots for the showing of blood.

NES refuse to put out the bloody Mortal Kombat, and took out the blood. That should tell how far some people went to make sure Video games are Blood Free so to speak. So Mk has earn to be here.

Might want to add Pitt Fighter, BAd game I know, BUT it is the first game to have digzatiz actors. It made the step for MK, which made the step for the Blood and Gore, if you look at it that way.

Have a laugh evey now and than.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2005 12:34 AM
Joker1237 is currently offline Click here to Send Joker1237 a Private Message Find more posts by Joker1237 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by stingray005
GTA was made historical b/c it was the first game that consisted of one giant map rather than levels along with the open ended gameplay. For that I'll give it credit, but it lacks in story and especially characters. In GTA3 the main character is a drug dealing, murderer who just escaped from jail. And you can't possibly say that GTA has a better story or characters than Halo or Halo 2.

And btw how could Halo have been a better game?????

Srry, I meant how could Halo possibly be any better than it already is???

better level design... simple... too many corridors...

and the worst online lag i've ever played...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Mar 25th, 2005 12:43 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MC Mike
Voice of the Voiceless

Halo did NOT make any history... it's a crazy fad with elements from other games used in a new way.

GTA was the first third-person open world enviornment game, which is very monumental, but not really "historical".

Mario, Pong, Tetris, Doom, Half Life even... those made history.

A posse ad esse.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2005 12:47 AM
MC Mike is currently offline Click here to Send MC Mike a Private Message Find more posts by MC Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Oh, also forgot to mention Goldeneye and Mario 64.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2005 12:50 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Halo really is nothing special. Definitely way overrated.

Doom for sure, the original Doom could kick the shit out of Halo without even having to try and it's one game where the sequels were on the same level if not better than the original. Not many games can make that claim.

Pretty much anything else I'd say has been named already: Final Fantasy, LoZ, Mario, Goldeneye (too much fun in that game), etc...

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Mar 25th, 2005 12:57 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

No-one has mentioned Elite? Weird...

Lords of Midnight, obviously.

The Sentinel

Adventure

Populous

Manic Miner

Even Myst!

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 25th, 2005 01:32 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

Originally posted by Ushgarak
No-one has mentioned Elite? Weird...

Lords of Midnight, obviously.

The Sentinel

Adventure

Populous

Manic Miner

Even Myst!

You're way to addicted to Lords of Midnight Ush..........

Old Post Mar 25th, 2005 02:01 AM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

How bout Gran Turismo? Maybe not historical, but it had a damn good impact on the public with its realistic gameplay.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2005 02:18 AM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spartan005

I'm assuming that everyone who says Halo sucks has PS2 or Gamecube, because Halo is a great game and if you played the game and beat it than you would know too. Basically the only reason everyone says halo sucks is most likely because they have never even played it or they're trying to protect their console.

And btw Mortal Combat and Doom are definetely no where near as good as Halo. Srry but you all just got owned.

Thanks Vinny!

Old Post Mar 25th, 2005 02:19 AM
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

Final Fantasy 7.

CG scenes would never exist without this game.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2005 02:20 AM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I'm assuming that everyone who says Halo sucks has PS2 or Gamecube, because Halo is a great game and if you played the game and beat it than you would know too. Basically the only reason everyone says halo sucks is most likely because they have never even played it or they're trying to protect their console.

And btw Mortal Combat and Doom are definetely no where near as good as Halo. Srry but you all just got owned.

i never realised there were video game fanboys...

i have halo on pc... i bought it myself... ive finished it too... it is a good solid game... but has several flaws... it is not the oh so perfect game you claim it to be...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Mar 25th, 2005 02:24 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spartan005

Name one thing that sucks about Halo

Thanks Vinny!

Old Post Mar 25th, 2005 02:34 AM
BackFire

And I'm assuming you didn't notice that the topic in this thread is "what games made history" not "your favorite games". Halo did not make history, it's a good game, but it's not historicallyimportant like MK and Doom is too the industry.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2005 02:34 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

Repetitive game play (Fight a small group of aliens, run to next area, fight another small group aliens, there was no involvement, I didn't get absorbed like when I played Doom 3 or Call of Duty)
Unoriginal content (Hallways were crappy, Vehicles is like Battlefield. Gun setup is from CS...)
simplistic aiming The retical sucked! and its color changing was not cool. I think I can tell
Limited AI (All they do is jump around!)

And thats just from playing the demo!

Old Post Mar 25th, 2005 02:38 AM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

level design, repetitiveness... unbelievebly bad lag...

halo is by no means historical...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Mar 25th, 2005 02:39 AM
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

Halo is a very good game. But as the topic suggests, its is not historical. Historical in sales but not in innovativeness.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2005 03:07 AM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spartan005

If any of you have noticed Halo got the game of the year award, and it got the highest rating in xbox magazine, which right their states that it is a historical game, and if thats not enough than I'll prove myself again.
Halo has...

great gameplay
better graphics than doom, mortal combat, or call of duty
great music
great story (oh wait I forgot none of the other games mentioned have a story)

And heres a tip for TPTmann-if you actually want to see how great of a game halo is than buy it, play it, and beat it.

Thanks Vinny!

Old Post Mar 25th, 2005 03:09 AM
BackFire

If any of you have noticed Halo got the game of the year award, and it got the highest rating in xbox magazine, which right their states that it is a historical game, and if thats not enough than I'll prove myself again.
Halo has...

great gameplay
better graphics than doom, mortal combat, or call of duty
great music
great story (oh wait I forgot none of the other games mentioned have a story)

And heres a tip for TPTmann-if you actually want to see how great of a game halo is than buy it, play it, and beat it.

Just because a game gets a high rating and is popular doesn't make it historical. What is the actual IMPACT that the game has had on the industry? What new aspects of gameplay did it bring to the industry? What makes it historical? Getting a good rating in a second rate video game magazine does not make it a historical game, just a good game.

Better graphics then doom and MK? Too hell you say! Doom and MK was made about 10 years before Halo, of course it has better graphics. What a stupid argument. Comparing Halo to games a decade older then halo, and say "well halo has better graphics and AI then these decade old games, thus it's a more historical game" is blatantly stupid and invalid. You have to look at games made at the same time if you're going to compare.

What makes doom and MK historical is the impact they had on the industry. If it weren't for Doom, Halo wouldn't exist, if it werent' for MK, it's arguable that GTA and other violent games wouldn't exist. MK pushed the envelope of what is acceptable in a mainstream game. It's these types of things that make a game historical. A game that changed the industry, created a genre, added new gameplay the likes of which have never been seen. Not simply scoring good in a shitty magazine.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2005 03:17 AM