KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Official Doctor Who Thread

Like Dr Who?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes 123 86.62%
No 12 8.45%
It's OK 7 4.93%
Total: 142 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Official Doctor Who Thread
Started by: Blue Dragon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (181): « First ... « 174 175 [176] 177 178 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Digi
Forum Leader

Gonna be catching up...soonish? I guess it depends on my and my gf's schedule. Our MO has been to watch the season premiere, then wait until the season is nearly done to start watching again.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2015 03:23 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

This is the 'To be continued...' season

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Oct 24th, 2015 09:07 AM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HueyFreeman
Super Fighting Robot

Wow we are 6 and 0.

Made by Jugg666

Old Post Oct 25th, 2015 05:30 AM
HueyFreeman is currently offline Click here to Send HueyFreeman a Private Message Find more posts by HueyFreeman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

6 bad 0 good.

I agree.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2015 02:55 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Oh lordy, Mark Gatiss has fouled it up again! Darn it! He's such a good writer- but a good Doctor Who story has become his white whale.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Nov 17th, 2015 at 11:51 PM

Old Post Nov 15th, 2015 06:30 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Still only watched the initial 2-parter. Gotta catch up soon. Poor Gatiss, though. This is a sign he should devote all his time to new Sherlock.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2015 10:12 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

In true Doctor Who style, it was followed by a very good episode, with an intriguing ending. DW always was a rollercoaster!

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 21st, 2015 10:28 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

If you're a Whovian, [SPOILER - highlight to read]: David Tennant plays a huge role in Jessica Jones, and he brings the ruthlessness of his doctor mixed with just the biggest creep vibe ever. He's awesome.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2015 10:54 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

............so yeah not really.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2015 06:39 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

I really miss David Tennant. Peter Capaldi as The Doctor - "You better not hurt the people I love." Hurts them. " Oooh, you did it. Well, okay, but you better not do it again."

David Tennant as The Doctor - "I'm begging you, please, don't hurt the people I love." Hurts them. "Now meet the real Doctor - the Time Lord feared by the entire galaxy. And suffer for eternity as I casually toss you into the heart of a dark star or lock you into a mirror where you will never die and never escape."

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2015 09:41 PM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Dreampanther
I really miss David Tennant. Peter Capaldi as The Doctor - "You better not hurt the people I love." Hurts them. " Oooh, you did it. Well, okay, but you better not do it again."

David Tennant as The Doctor - "I'm begging you, please, don't hurt the people I love." Hurts them. "Now meet the real Doctor - the Time Lord feared by the entire galaxy. And suffer for eternity as I casually toss you into the heart of a dark star or lock you into a mirror where you will never die and never escape."

Seems like this is more about the writing than the portrayal, yeah? I agree otherwise; the rage beneath the surface always made the character excellent.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2015 10:32 PM
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Originally posted by Digi
Seems like this is more about the writing than the portrayal, yeah? I agree otherwise; the rage beneath the surface always made the character excellent.

Aye, that's a fair observation. It's a bit unfair to blame Capaldi for a lack of depth when the writers don't give him much to work with. With Jenna Coleman being so cute and lovely I suppose the show couldn't help being influenced by her charms and adapting to it.

I just wish they would find a writer again that would tap into that alienness and potential for rage that the Doctor has. This is a character that should terrify any right-thinking being, given his history. In the very first episode when he kept on muttering something about puddingheads every time he got impatient with people I had really hoped the show had evolved a bit... Instead it's as if the character has become more dependant, more needy and clingy.

Let's hope it changes after what happened last episode. I've been a fan since I started watching with David Tennant but now there are so many other excellent shows with strong writing and characters to choose from I find myself pushing Doctor Who lower and lower down the list of shows to watch.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2015 12:53 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HueyFreeman
Super Fighting Robot

Originally posted by Dreampanther
Aye, that's a fair observation. It's a bit unfair to blame Capaldi for a lack of depth when the writers don't give him much to work with. With Jenna Coleman being so cute and lovely I suppose the show couldn't help being influenced by her charms and adapting to it.

I just wish they would find a writer again that would tap into that alienness and potential for rage that the Doctor has. This is a character that should terrify any right-thinking being, given his history. In the very first episode when he kept on muttering something about puddingheads every time he got impatient with people I had really hoped the show had evolved a bit... Instead it's as if the character has become more dependant, more needy and clingy.

Let's hope it changes after what happened last episode. I've been a fan since I started watching with David Tennant but now there are so many other excellent shows with strong writing and characters to choose from I find myself pushing Doctor Who lower and lower down the list of shows to watch.
Thats where we differ. I thought Tennant was one of the most annoyingly whiny doctors. The angst in his run was killing me after a while.

Made by Jugg666

Old Post Nov 24th, 2015 10:44 AM
HueyFreeman is currently offline Click here to Send HueyFreeman a Private Message Find more posts by HueyFreeman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Ohhh, Moffat has played a blinder there with Heaven Sent. It felt very much like the sort of episode Neil Gaiman would write- except Gaiman did write two and they were nothing like this. Hmm. So, like the kind of episode I would have THOUGHT Gaiman would write.

Now, if the finale is good, we have the possibility here of the most exciting Who-ness for me since Paul McGann and Tom Baker turned up in 2013.

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Nov 29th, 2015 at 05:34 PM

Old Post Nov 28th, 2015 09:05 PM
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Heh. Heaven Sent rated second-best Doctor Who episode ever, after Blink, according to IMDB. Have to confess, by the end even I couldn't look away.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2015 05:27 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

... nope, second part was pants. Oh well.

BtVS

Old Post Dec 5th, 2015 09:08 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

I may pop back in once I've finished this season. I'll be lucky to be done before the Christmas special, though. My life is busy and my method of streaming to my TV (my 360) is broke. I could watch on my cpu, but it's usually something my gf and I try to watch together, which is harder at my desk. So the shows we watch together are starting to pile up a bit.

I'm only 4 eps. in, so I can't comment much. Things have been solid.

Old Post Dec 6th, 2015 01:20 AM
HueyFreeman
Super Fighting Robot

Not what I was expecting. Not bad though. They episode does play into alot of fan complaints that now seem to be intentional on the writers part. I wish is wasnt resolved so quick especially the beginning. Still it was decent but a bit of a disapointment given how great the previous episode was.

Made by Jugg666

Old Post Dec 6th, 2015 10:10 AM
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Watched a bunch while grading finals today. the morpheus episode had some nice hooks but ultimately very little of substance. If it'd been a moffat episode, we'd find out that everything since then has been a dream (or been robots acting out the dream of someone else). Instead, we'll probably get a 2nd chance at the monster of the week within the next few seasons, but without much tension on the part of the doctor

The Raven, though, that was an episode. I had to go on wiki to recall who Rigby was, and still didn't quite recall the killer-paintings episode until way later. Clara was so good in this one and really showed a lot of the characteristics that me and Ush had discussed briefly a month or 2 ago. Ashildur is a difficult character for me, though, because her memory resets. While the Doctor keeps building this list of grievances, she seems to reset every episode. It's a bit like what I thought was going on with Clara during the John Hurt reveal (where Clara is in every part of his time-stream or whatever).

The next one, the ouiblette, was stellar. Really enjoyed that.

The finale was gripping, but I did not understand why the matronly time ladies were so... quiet. The sisterhood of Carn didn't have much narrative lifting to do, and while I'm curious I just can't imagine that the exposition behind that group's relationship with Rassilon will make for good TV. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: and his mom doesn't even say hi!

Any thoughts on the black lady regeneration? I stood up at my desk and had to take a lap around the office before continuing the episode... big grin

Old Post Dec 10th, 2015 07:35 AM
Zamp is currently offline Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

about time.

http://comicbook.com/2016/01/22/ste...roadchurch-cre/

Steven Moffat Leaving Doctor Who After Season 10

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2016 06:58 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote