KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » "Only Sith deal in absolutes"

"Only Sith deal in absolutes"
Started by: The New History

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Fishy

You are IMO taking that quote of context..

"If you're not with me, you're my enemy."

Thats the absolute, black and white. Right and wrong nothing more.

Jedi tend to realise that there are grays out there, they don't kill everybody that doesn't agree with them. They don't rage wars to spread their idea's across the galaxy just to defend their goals. Thats the absolute here.. With me or against me, just black and white no grey.

Obi was right when he said that, because Jedi don't think like that. Of course they are against their enemy they are the enemy, but unlike the Sith they are not against the guy on the street that doesn't take sides. They would never kill them, Sith would.

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post May 25th, 2005 01:30 PM
Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darth cretin

Hmm i see what you are saying Padme, but think the person above this post put much simpler terms my argument.. understanding the grey areas, and no offing joe schmoe on the street for disagreeing and all.

Old Post May 25th, 2005 01:50 PM
Click here to Send darth cretin a Private Message Find more posts by darth cretin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
brendy
Impressive

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Fishy
You are IMO taking that quote of context..

"If you're not with me, you're my enemy."

Thats the absolute, black and white. Right and wrong nothing more.

Jedi tend to realise that there are grays out there, they don't kill everybody that doesn't agree with them. They don't rage wars to spread their idea's across the galaxy just to defend their goals. Thats the absolute here.. With me or against me, just black and white no grey.

Obi was right when he said that, because Jedi don't think like that. Of course they are against their enemy they are the enemy, but unlike the Sith they are not against the guy on the street that doesn't take sides. They would never kill them, Sith would.

Top man. thats exactly the point. cool

"If you're not with me, you're my enemy." that is the absolute.

you dont have to read into anything its right there in your face.

"Luke! Take A Puff On One Of These Giant Cigarettes"

Old Post May 25th, 2005 01:58 PM
Click here to Send brendy a Private Message Find more posts by brendy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Reborn Again
I'm HELL's Wrath!

Re: "Only Sith deal in absolutes"

quote: (post)
Originally posted by LandoSpeeder2
"Only Sith deal in absolutes." I don't like this at all. This should have been cut from the movie.

1. Sidious said evil or whatever is a point of view, kind of like, their really isn't such a thing as good and bad, just point of views, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the opposite of absolute?

2. If Jedi doesn't deal with absolutes then why are they saying the Sith is evil, and they seem to think their is right and wrong, the Jedi is basically based on absolutes.

3. This pretty much slams Christians, considering Christians deal in absolutes.

Perfectly logical standpoint. The Sith think linear while the Jedi wage both sides and decide on the most logical outcome. Therefore Yoda was correct when he said that.

Old Post May 25th, 2005 02:14 PM
Click here to Send Reborn Again a Private Message Find more posts by Reborn Again Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mtryder

I don't feel like wading through three pages, so this might have been said already.

In saying that "Only Sith deal in absolutes", Obi-Wan is dealing in absolutes. Pretty stupid of him.

Old Post May 25th, 2005 02:55 PM
Click here to Send mtryder a Private Message Find more posts by mtryder Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darth cretin

mtryder: it's not stupid of him at all because stating a fact, i.e. acknowldging that there are absolutes, is not the same as dealing in them, i.e. making your decisions based only on the absolutes.

Old Post May 25th, 2005 07:38 PM
Click here to Send darth cretin a Private Message Find more posts by darth cretin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SS_181st_Snow
Flyer of the Wraith.

And here's my totally pointless, out-of-the-blue thought for this thread. If Sith deal in absolutes, they would not make good Car Salesmen....at all...Jedi would though. One wave of that hand and they can have their price met.

HEIL BARON VON RICHTHOFEN! HEIL THE LUFTWAFFE!

Old Post May 26th, 2005 02:33 AM
Click here to Send SS_181st_Snow a Private Message Find more posts by SS_181st_Snow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote