KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Completed Palpatine Essay

Completed Palpatine Essay
Started by: Gideon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (23): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Eminence
Boss

quote: (post)
Gideon
Yeah, you'll have to.

And I noticed you didn't respond to the other part.
This other part?
quote:
Gideon
Your “off hand” mention of the Slayers coordination seemed like an attempt at apologetics; the guide notes that the battle meld in general is “an advantage the enemy couldn’t match.” How much do you think a little enhanced coordination would compare to the full might of the Skywalkers’ battle meld?
It's been addressed twice already. You dismissed it as apologetics, I don't really care.

quote:
Probably because you're attempt to mitigate the battle-meld failed utterly, completely, and oh-so-miserably.
No u.

quote:
WTF?

He is the one who is noted to have basically reached godhood during this duel. He is the one that they are in awe of.
Yes, it couldn't possibly be that he's just that much better than them and cutting loose in a way they haven't seen before.

quote:
And you're telling me that he's not the one who's benefitting from this power up?
I'm telling you he isn't benefiting from the meld as much as they are, because that would make no sense.

quote:
By the way, unless I'm missing something, how the hell is that even a decent argument? The fact that he is a "calm center" is somehow proof that he's not drawing power from them?
Jesus.

He isn't the "calm center," he's described as drawing power from "a calm center; an eye." If he'd been drawing power directly from either Jacen or Jaina's Force reserves, it logically would have been explained as such.

Old Post May 20th, 2009 12:49 AM
Click here to Send Eminence a Private Message Find more posts by Eminence Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Eminence
This other part?

quote:
It's been addressed twice already. You dismissed it as apologetics, I don't really care.

I clearly struck a nerve, because I'm right. All of Luke's major feats during that book are because of a battle-meld! I win!!1!oneone!!

quote:
No u.

I accept your concession.

quote:
Yes, it couldn't possibly be that he's just that much better than them and cutting loose in a way they haven't seen before.

That's probably it.

Because it couldn't be because he's reached an uber level of functioning because of their extremely potent battle-meld.

quote:
I'm telling you he isn't benefiting from the meld as much as they are, because that would make no sense.

Prove it.

quote:
Jesus.

He isn't the "calm center," he's described as drawing power from "a calm center; an eye." If he'd been drawing power directly from either Jacen or Jaina's Force reserves, it logically would have been explained as such.

A calm center; an eye. Hmm. You mean the Force? The Force that he practically entered a state of unity with as per the guide's words?

Nah.

Old Post May 20th, 2009 12:59 AM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Gideon
Are you telling me that the Hidden One is (or intended to be?) a high tier Force user?

I rather doubt it.

You're asserting that Luke is weak or his abilities are exaggerated because of his show against the random monk. I say the random monk is anything but average BECAUSE he made Luke work.

Old Post May 20th, 2009 01:09 AM
Click here to Send Dr McBeefington a Private Message Find more posts by Dr McBeefington Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fan Skywalker

Yep, promise.

I apologize Gideon, but i desire more then your word. I want you to explain to me how the meld was the reason for Luke's ability to defeat the immense army when he was scaling the citadel, when i remember one occasion where Jacen left the meld to use his vongsense and Luke lost no apparent momentum (pg 420 and i doubt this was the only time he did leave the meld). Also there's also the issue of Jacen's quote (see below).

Jacen recalled watching his uncle on Belkadan, where the war had begun, wielding two lightsabers when he had come to Jacen's rescue. But the rescue on Belkadan paled in comparison to the control Luke demonstrated now

Old Post May 20th, 2009 01:11 AM
Click here to Send Fan Skywalker a Private Message Find more posts by Fan Skywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Fan Skywalker
I apologize Gideon, but i desire more then your word. I want you to explain to me how the meld was the reason for Luke's ability to defeat the immense army when he was scaling the citadel, when i remember one occasion where Jacen left the meld to use his vongsense and Luke lost no apparent momentum (pg 420 and i doubt this was the only time he did leave the meld). Also there's also the issue of Jacen's quote (see below).

Say please.

Old Post May 20th, 2009 01:27 AM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eminence
Boss

I clearly struck a nerve, because I'm right. All of Luke's major feats during that book are because of a battle-meld! I win!!1!oneone!!
Nope.

quote:
I concede nothing.

quote:
That's probably it.

quote:
Because it couldn't be because he's reached an uber level of functioning because of their extremely potent battle-meld.
I didn't say he wasn't still a part of their meld.

So I win.

quote:
Prove it.
It's logical. Why would [by far] the strongest of the trio be the most dependent on their collective pool of power?

quote:
A calm center; an eye. Hmm. You mean the Force? The Force that he practically entered a state of unity with as per the guide's words?

Nah.
You lost me.

Edit: And so much for Orwell. Nerd.

Old Post May 20th, 2009 01:28 AM
Click here to Send Eminence a Private Message Find more posts by Eminence Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

“The uniting of several Jedi Knights through the Force, a technique developed by the Jedi during the Yuuzhan Vong War to draw strength from one another and act as a single, powerful entity.”
- the Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia , A-G, page 287.

“By telepathically linking their minds together, Jedi can draw on one another’s strength for support.”

“Battle-meld permits a group of Jedi to become stronger than if each stood alone, while enabling them to communicate with one another through the Force.”

- the Essential Guide to the Force, page 79.

Further proof that the Force meld or battle-meld goes beyond mere coordination.

Old Post May 20th, 2009 01:33 AM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Eminence
Nope.

Prove it, then.

quote:
I concede nothing.

Yes, you do.

quote:

No, you don't.

quote:
I didn't say he wasn't still a part of their meld.

So I win.

Which means he didn't do it on his own or of his own power. Which means my point still stands, and he's no match for Palpatine.

I win.

quote:
It's logical. Why would [by far] the strongest of the trio be the most dependent on their collective pool of power?

Because, logically, he's their only hope; why would he lower himself to compensate for them when the outcome of this battle decides the war itself?

quote:
You lost me.

Edit: And so much for Orwell. Nerd.

Finished. Nerd. And why are you calling me a nerd? One of us has a hot girlfriend, is insanely popular, and recently prom king. The other is you.

The calm center could be an expression for the Force, which the Essential Guide makes it clear that Luke and the others were drawing on heavily during the meld.

Old Post May 20th, 2009 01:36 AM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Dr McBeefington
You're asserting that Luke is weak or his abilities are exaggerated because of his show against the random monk.

Um, neither. I'm asserting they're inconsistent and that he hasn't demonstrated the power to take down Palpatine.

Way to think like Janus, DS. Because I am not fellating a character, I must have it out for him.

quote:
I say the random monk is anything but average BECAUSE he made Luke work.

No one said he's average. But he's miles and miles and miles beneath anyone truly notable.

Old Post May 20th, 2009 01:38 AM
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

Um, neither. I'm asserting they're inconsistent and that he hasn't demonstrated the power to take down Palpatine.

Which I never argued. Read my posts again. Using this case isn't a good example either.

quote:
Way to think like Janus, DS. Because I am not fellating a character, I must have it out for him.

Way to read like Nai Gideon. Please show where I ever said ANYTHING of the sort. In case you're going to look at the only one that comes close, I asked if your contention was either A or B, I've never even remotely implied that you have anything against Luke.

quote:
No one said he's average. But he's miles and miles and miles beneath anyone truly notable. [/B]

Maybe, maybe not. Ridiculous assertion to make with the amount of information we have about him.

Old Post May 20th, 2009 01:51 AM
Click here to Send Dr McBeefington a Private Message Find more posts by Dr McBeefington Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by Dr McBeefington
You're asserting that Luke is weak or his abilities are exaggerated because of his show against the random monk.

You assumed that I was trying to downplay Luke's abilities, DS. That implies an agenda, which I don't have.

And I loved the read like Nai comment; fantastic comeback. I say we use them often.

As regards the Hidden One's strength, it's equally ridiculous to assume that he's top tier. The fact that he challenged Luke Skywalker doesn't mean a lot; didn't you once argue that Darth Nihilus couldn't be considered top tier? Well, Nihilus has a lot more going for him than this guy.

You need to pick a side and stick with it.

Old Post May 20th, 2009 01:57 AM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

All right, folks. I'm going to hit the sack (no jokes plz). Tee tee why el.

Old Post May 20th, 2009 02:08 AM
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

You assumed that I was trying to downplay Luke's abilities, DS. That implies an agenda, which I don't have.

quote:
I'm not arguing that he struggled, but it seems that your contention is that BECAUSE he struggled, he's not as powerful as everyone believes. IF I am right and that is your contention which I hope it's not, it's not a very good one. First you'd have to judge the quality of the opponent, and then you'd have to judge the intensity with which Luke was fighting.

I didn't assume anything, that's why I asked you. I read your posts and came up with 2 possible scenarios and then I asked YOU what your contention was. So there was no assumptions or implications of any kind. You're trying to stretch what I said.

quote:
As regards the Hidden One's strength, it's equally ridiculous to assume that he's top tier. The fact that he challenged Luke Skywalker doesn't mean a lot; didn't you once argue that Darth Nihilus couldn't be considered top tier? Well, Nihilus has a lot more going for him than this guy.

I never said he was top tier, nor did I assert as much. I simply said it's ridiculous to cast him down the star wars hierarchy based on the short amount of time we see him in Outcast flexing his powers. For all we know he could be low tier or high tier, but there's not enough on him to make any kind of assumption.
And I don't recall what I argued concerning Darth Nihilus, that's another discussion.

quote:
You need to pick a side and stick with it.

Since I'm unclear as to what sides to pick, or if there ARE any sides, I don't understand what you're saying here.

Old Post May 20th, 2009 02:20 AM
BoratBorat
Restricted

Account Restricted

All right, folks. I'm going to hit the sack (no jokes plz). Tee tee why el.
Are you going to hit Dr Mcbeefingtons sack? I'd love to drool over that.

Old Post May 20th, 2009 02:49 AM
Click here to Send BoratBorat a Private Message Find more posts by BoratBorat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eminence
Boss

quote:
Gideon
Finished. Nerd. And why are you calling me a nerd? One of us has a hot girlfriend.
Who is clearly sexually deprived thanks to your love of a two thousand year old corpse.

We'll cover the rest tomorrow, once you're out of your father's whore's house and have cited everything pertaining to the battle meld that you possibly can.

Old Post May 20th, 2009 03:10 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

psst, Eminence.

*leans in close and whispers* You should just remind him that he's retired, he'll back right off.

Old Post May 20th, 2009 12:10 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eminence
Boss

In time.

Old Post May 20th, 2009 07:21 PM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

The cited information is here. Once again, Eminence, refrain from indulging your frustration at being universally ignored. It's not our fault that you're fat, worthless, stupid, and hideously unpopular.

“The uniting of several Jedi Knights through the Force, a technique developed by the Jedi during the Yuuzhan Vong War to draw strength from one another and act as a single, powerful entity.”
- the Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia , A-G, page 287.

“By telepathically linking their minds together, Jedi can draw on one another’s strength for support.”

“Battle-meld permits a group of Jedi to become stronger than if each stood alone, while enabling them to communicate with one another through the Force.”

- the Essential Guide to the Force, page 79.

Further proof that the Force meld or battle-meld goes beyond mere coordination.

Old Post May 20th, 2009 09:22 PM
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

The random monk is a force god.

Old Post May 20th, 2009 09:55 PM
Eminence
Boss

Prove it, then.
He killed Shimrra with no physical assistance from Jacen and what would be at best negligible assistance from the meld.

I win.

quote:
Yes, you do.
Prove it.

quote:
No, you don't.
Sure I do.

quote:
Which means he didn't do it on his own or of his own power.
Not entirely under his own power. You make it seem like he would be comparatively incompetent if it weren't for the twins, that he relies more on the meld than he does on his own power and "control."

quote:
Which means my point still stands, and he's no match for Palpatine.

I win.
You fail because you're obnoxious and reference a position that has absolutely nothing to do with this (read: my) argument.

quote:
Because, logically, he's their only hope; why would he lower himself to compensate for them when the outcome of this battle decides the war itself?
WTF? How would the twins drawing proportionately more from Luke than he draws from either of them "lower" him?

quote:
Finished. Nerd. And why are you calling me a nerd?
This thread and its predecessor.

QED.

quote:
The calm center could be an expression for the Force, which the Essential Guide makes it clear that Luke and the others were drawing on heavily during the meld.
Imagine Jedi drawing heavily on the Force...

quote:
The cited information is here.
It doesn't answer my questions.

quote:
Once again, Eminence, refrain from indulging your frustration at being universally ignored. It's not our fault that you're fat, worthless, stupid, and hideously unpopular.
The first two can be factually disproved by calipers/machines and my bank accounts, respectively. The third is true (Super Talented Unique Person In Demand ftw), the fourth is laughable.

Old Post May 20th, 2009 10:16 PM