KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Biggest Cliche in Gaming History

Biggest Cliche in Gaming History
Started by: Nemesis X

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
jinXed by JaNx

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ~:Mr.Anderson:~
Action hero faces objectives through hordes of aliens alone.

-7 half life games

-4 halo games

-metroid prime series

-Unreal tournament series

-space invaders

-defender

-defender II

-Sinistar

and MORE.

Think those are formulas...,not cliches.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2009 02:34 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mandrag Ganon
Seeker

Originally posted by ~:Mr.Anderson:~
Mario, mr. ganon. mario.

Oh, We all know Mario is in it for the special favors from the princess... If anyone is trying to save the world just because he's a nice guy, it's Luigi...

Originally posted by NemeBro
To be fair F3 making a tribute to the genre.

True.

Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
Also Gears of War is another good example.

Indeed.

Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Collectibles

Also, the new master cliche...,ACHIEVEMENTS. Instead of collecting collectibles to unlock secrets and additional content. We collect collectibles for a message.

I still don't understand what is so attractive about achievements... yet I can't stop hunting them... They're like birthdays, their existance makes no sense, and yet are loved by so many...

Last edited by Mandrag Ganon on Sep 29th, 2009 at 02:57 AM

Old Post Sep 29th, 2009 02:51 AM
Mandrag Ganon is currently offline Click here to Send Mandrag Ganon a Private Message Find more posts by Mandrag Ganon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

The creation of Dark Khan.

Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Think those are formulas...,not cliches.

Agreed.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2009 03:49 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mandrag Ganon
Seeker

Dark/evil Version of the main character: I.E. Dark Link, Dark Samus, etc.

I still am looking forward to Dark Master Chief.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2009 03:59 AM
Mandrag Ganon is currently offline Click here to Send Mandrag Ganon a Private Message Find more posts by Mandrag Ganon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Shame on me for forgetting to mention that. SA-X from Metroid Fusion would also count as far as that goes, along with Shadow Mario from Sunshine (even though it was Bowser Jr in disguise).

And lol @ the Dark MC idea..
Dark Donkey Kong & Dark Arbiter anyone?

Old Post Sep 29th, 2009 04:03 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

The final boss being vulnerable to only one particular weapon/attack, and is usually the rarest/strongest one in the game.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2009 04:10 AM
Mandrag Ganon
Seeker

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Shame on me for forgetting to mention that. SA-X from Metroid Fusion would also count as far as that goes, along with Shadow Mario from Sunshine (even though it was Bowser Jr in disguise).

And lol @ the Dark MC idea..
Dark Donkey Kong & Dark Arbiter anyone?

Ah! Yea, I forgot about the SA-X. Hell, one could even argue Shadow the Hedgehog, but that is beginning to strech it a bit.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2009 04:13 AM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

One of the biggest cliches ever is the puzzle solving. They get frustrating sometimes including in each Metroid Prime game.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2009 04:32 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Originally posted by Mandrag Ganon
Ah! Yea, I forgot about the SA-X. Hell, one could even argue Shadow the Hedgehog, but that is beginning to strech it a bit.

Perhaps. Not that much of a stretch though.

Originally posted by Nemesis X
One of the biggest cliches ever is the puzzle solving. They get frustrating sometimes including in each Metroid Prime game.

True, but I think that still goes along with what jinXed said as being a formula, not a cliche.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2009 05:43 AM
CadoAngelus
Zanpakuto

Originally posted by Mandrag Ganon
Ugh, I am so sick of prophecies and chosen ones. Why can't we have a hero that saves the world just because he's a nice guy?

Half-Life series

sure the first was was a matter of life or death trying to escape as war zone, but the second one was just like "Where the **** am i?" "hi! we're dying...help?" "sure, got nothing else to do since i've been trapped in stasis in a parallel universe for the god knows how many years, where's the crowbar"

that's another cliche now seemingly, trademark weapons...

CadoAngelus - Savior, Conqueror, Hero, Villain.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2009 09:12 AM
CadoAngelus is currently offline Click here to Send CadoAngelus a Private Message Find more posts by CadoAngelus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

A betrayal... Happens in so many games/

Old Post Sep 30th, 2009 09:43 AM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

KRAUSER!

Old Post Sep 30th, 2009 08:57 PM
Juk3n
Devils Advocate

Re: Biggest Cliche in Gaming History

Originally posted by Nemesis X
Tell us what you think is the biggest cliche in gaming history.

Orphan kid
mysterious past
parents died to protect him
hidden powers
what a suprise his parents killer is the baddie he now faces...

done to death, replace parents with king/princess/wife, but it's pretty much the standard JRPG cliche for the past 20 years.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2009 09:55 PM
Juk3n is currently offline Click here to Send Juk3n a Private Message Find more posts by Juk3n Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Hero dies or has his final mission get retconned when sells speak and its time to milk the cow.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Sep 30th, 2009 10:56 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

FPS

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Oct 1st, 2009 03:27 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MooCowofJustice
Too Far Gone

Originally posted by Zack Fair
Hero dies or has his final mission get retconned when sells speak and its time to milk the cow.

I take offense to that, sir.

A character with an abnormally large or complicated/ridiculously designed sword.

Examples: Nero, Cloud, Sephiroth, Ragna, and many more.

All hail Scythe, King of the Sigs.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2009 03:31 AM
MooCowofJustice is currently offline Click here to Send MooCowofJustice a Private Message Find more posts by MooCowofJustice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Characters you think will live through the entire game until they get unexpectedly killed.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2009 03:40 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EvilAngel
Over the hills

For you to need The legendary sword to defeat the great enemy...

For your hero to come to terms with reason X before he can finish what he started and confront guy X

For the main villian to assume he can kick your ass all the way and brush you off, by pitting you against his minions, so by the time you come face to face you are a threat.

I think that's right by the thread.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2009 03:59 AM
EvilAngel is currently offline Click here to Send EvilAngel a Private Message Find more posts by EvilAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Biggest Cliche in Gaming History

Originally posted by Juk3n
Orphan kid
mysterious past
parents died to protect him
hidden powers
what a suprise his parents killer is the baddie he now faces...

done to death, replace parents with king/princess/wife, but it's pretty much the standard JRPG cliche for the past 20 years.
YOU'rE A WiZaRD, hARRy!!

Old Post Oct 1st, 2009 04:39 AM
Moriarty is currently offline Click here to Send Moriarty a Private Message Find more posts by Moriarty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Hero(es) save(s) the day.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2009 09:25 AM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote