KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Game Informer's Top 200 Games of all time

Game Informer's Top 200 Games of all time
Started by: Prep-Man

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Digi
Forum Leader

1. No one posted the criteria they used, which is essential to any list. Having read the article, the criteria they used make decisions like Zelda and Pong more palatable, if still debatable.

2. These things are meant to spark discussion, not be "right." Take it all with a grain of salt before heaping on the verbal barbs at Game Informer.

3. Dark Forces II was on the list. I'm sated.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2010 11:03 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juk3n
Devils Advocate

That would be true however, there's only 1 reason GTA3 would be classed as 'greater ' than say, GTA San Andreas, and that would be because it came first. lets be honest, GTA 3 started it, but san andreas was the best one in that generation. Which leads me to believe that the list is actually supposed to be top most influential.

I'll bet if everyone is this forum made an HONEST top 20 games relevent to them, NO one NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON, would include Mike Tyson in their top 20. Be Honest.

Last edited by Juk3n on Jan 7th, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Old Post Jan 7th, 2010 11:03 PM
Juk3n is currently offline Click here to Send Juk3n a Private Message Find more posts by Juk3n Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
No End N Site
Saikyo Pharaoh Sol Radguy

'Haven't played 70% of that list, EVER.

"Step back loser! Make way for the winner!"
-Anakaris-

Old Post Jan 7th, 2010 11:13 PM
No End N Site is currently offline Click here to Send No End N Site a Private Message Find more posts by No End N Site Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Personally I believe 90% of the best games of all time to have been released in the last 10 years... It's called progress.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2010 11:42 PM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by §P0oONY
Personally I believe 90% of the best games of all time to have been released in the last 10 years... It's called progress.

lol

While I may not agree with 90%, that's not far off.

I must say games like Super Metroid, Mario 3, Contra, GoldenEye, Pong, Mario 64, Wolfenstein, etc. etc. etc. Those not only were abusrdly awesome games for their time, they are still fun to play every now and then. On top of that, they were really good during their time, as well.

Also, I don't find some modern game to be any fun...and be too boring such as some of the newer FPS titles. I have yet to play MW2...it just doesn't seem all that different from other FPS titles. Gears of War 1 and 2 were/are great...but...I didn't get the enjoyment out of those as I did from Perfect Dark and Goldeneye.

Obviously, I don't agree with the list, but I can understand their sentiments on some of the selections.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2010 12:44 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Originally posted by Juk3n
doom 94' > MW1? GTFO. PC elitist scum might drink Dooms Nutjuice because it was "teh first of it's kind", but that shit doesn't wash with me.

Either way, it did much more for gaming than Modern Warfail ever did. smile

Old Post Jan 8th, 2010 01:15 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Either way, it did much more for gaming than Modern Warfail ever did. smile
That shouldn't be the point, a game isn't good because of what comes from it. Modern Warfare is an improvement on Doom.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2010 01:20 AM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

That shouldn't be the point, a game isn't good because of what comes from it. Modern Warfare is an improvement on Doom.

Agreed. But see my #1 at the top of this page, because their criteria included historical significance as part of the rankings. According to your criteria, yes, a lot of that list is bonkers. According to theirs, however, it becomes much more understandable.

Also, a lot of that stuff is legitimately still fun. Simplicity can be awesome, grainy graphics and all.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2010 01:30 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Yup, and MW (as well as most shooters) probably wouldn't have existed were it not for Doom's success. It's a shame some can't have respect for the classic shooters too. erm

Obviously though, the Game Informer list wasn't going by the 'improvements'. Mainly the titles that were the first of their kind. Otherwise, OoT would've been #1 on the list instead of the NES Zelda.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2010 01:31 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Originally posted by Digi
Agreed. But see my #1 at the top of this page, because their criteria included historical significance as part of the rankings. According to your criteria, yes, a lot of that list is bonkers. According to theirs, however, it becomes much more understandable.

Also, a lot of that stuff is legitimately still fun. Simplicity can be awesome, grainy graphics and all.
Naturally, I believe a list of significant importance would be drastically different too though. I mean. "158 - Pong"?

Old Post Jan 8th, 2010 01:32 AM
§P0oONY

Yup, and MW (as well as most shooters) probably wouldn't have existed were it not for Doom's success. It's a shame some can't have respect for the classic shooters too. erm

Obviously though, the Game Informer list wasn't going by the 'improvements'. Mainly the titles that were the first of their kind. Otherwise, OoT would've been #1 on the list instead of the NES Zelda.
I have respect for Doom, it's just an inferior game to modern shooters.

To add to Digis "Also, a lot of that stuff is legitimately still fun. Simplicity can be awesome, grainy graphics and all.":

I agree, hence the reason I didn't say 100%, there are fantastic classic games, a lot of them. Games have generally improved though. My top 10 would include a lot of old games.

(The 90% was plucked from the air btw, I didn't do the maths, I was just making a point.)

Old Post Jan 8th, 2010 01:35 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Naturally, I believe a list of significant importance would be drastically different too though. I mean. "158 - Pong"?

Eh, that's the problem with such lists. They include both historical significance AND modern playability. How much does one weigh each? I understand Pong being on any list that includes history, and agree with it, but I really think any list should just choose one or the other, and not try to mix both.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2010 01:35 AM
§P0oONY

Originally posted by Digi
Eh, that's the problem with such lists. They include both historical significance AND modern playability. How much does one weigh each? I understand Pong being on any list that includes history, and agree with it, but I really think any list should just choose one or the other, and not try to mix both.
I don't think you can really list games in such a way, because of these very points, everyone has different ways of weighing these things up.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2010 01:38 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

One thing I would have changed. I would put Half Life further ahead, and maybe that spot Half Life 2 was.

Much more important game in my opinion. Other than that, it's a list. The picking new games over old sickens me. If a best of list is needed to be done, you have to include the old games and compare them to the impact the new games have.

Did Doom have a bigger impact than Modern Warfare 1 and 2? Yes it did. Is it better comparatively, hell no but compared to games in thier respective years, then Doom wins because it was the best shooter out and one of the best games.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2010 03:19 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Yup, and MW (as well as most shooters) probably wouldn't have existed were it not for Doom's success

Don't you mean Wolfenstien 3D??

if it were'nt for that there would be no Halo and Call of duty's.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2010 03:24 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Wolfenstien was the first but it was Doom that ultimately made the impact.

Nirvana wasn't the first grunge band but they made a bigger impact.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2010 03:56 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Pong should be at least top 5 "greatest games" made.

It made the video game industry what it is today.

Admit it, it still is fun to play Flash pong games sometimes..

http://www.crazymonkeygames.com/Curveball.html
http://www.crazymonkeygames.com/Battle-Pong.html
http://www.crazymonkeygames.com/Insane-Orb.html

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Last edited by AsbestosFlaygon on Jan 8th, 2010 at 04:59 AM

Old Post Jan 8th, 2010 04:54 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Pong is a shit game.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2010 05:14 AM
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Still, it deserves respect for putting the gaming industry on the map.

It's the game that started it all.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Jan 8th, 2010 05:37 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juk3n
Devils Advocate

Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Still, it deserves respect for putting the gaming industry on the map.

It's the game that started it all.

Being the first isnt the same as being the best.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2010 08:49 AM
Juk3n is currently offline Click here to Send Juk3n a Private Message Find more posts by Juk3n Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote