KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Games 'Versus' Forum » Link versus the Old School Video Games

Link versus the Old School Video Games
Started by: TheAuraAngel

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Super Marie 64
Queen of Feuds

quote: (post)
Originally posted by TheAuraAngel
I don't think even the player can be focused on where the ghosts are always at. Otherwise takes the surprise out of the game. And I assume Pacman smells the fruit and decides to go nom nom nom.

There are four ghosts.

Link is alone.

Pacman is the hunter here, not the hunted.

Not being able to focus on all of them, doesn't mean he doesn't know where they are. I've taken a great amount of levels throughout my years in Pacman, many, many points, but the skills of the player can not be used to gauge the capacity of the character.

To be abundantly clear with my case: Just because you know where the ghosts are, doesn't mean they can't eventually corner you. They are more, and move randomly. There will come a point when you are cornered, not out of lack of attention but as a result of random events conspiring against you.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2011 08:28 PM
Super Marie 64 is currently offline Click here to Send Super Marie 64 a Private Message Find more posts by Super Marie 64 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BloodRain
Knight of Retribution

1. Former since it's simpler.

2. Should I take it down a notch? Some other TKer?

3. So is Peppy. stick out tongue

4. Maneuvers. And he has a way of outsmarting Pacman's nose.

Then a win as long as he can keep it up. At lv30 moving your whole arm to control the blocks is murder compared to pressing a button.

Yeah, so far its like playing wii tennis vs a supercomputer.

..... touché.

For instance?

Old Post Mar 15th, 2011 08:31 PM
BloodRain is currently offline Click here to Send BloodRain a Private Message Find more posts by BloodRain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

Farore's Wind?

The moon and stars aren't just shades of lead

But you wouldn't know as you rest your head.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2011 08:33 PM
ScreamPaste is currently offline Click here to Send ScreamPaste a Private Message Find more posts by ScreamPaste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Super Marie 64
Queen of Feuds

3. So is Peppy. stick out tongue

Peppy's just a coach here. There's only so much you can teach, and only at X pace. Fox knows this by heart, all Link has is Peppy's voice and a brief investigation.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2011 08:34 PM
Super Marie 64 is currently offline Click here to Send Super Marie 64 a Private Message Find more posts by Super Marie 64 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
I already assumed that Fox might not die in the explosion. But he will die via the lack of oxygen.

Don't remember seeing that either. All I remember seeing is that Pacman will move at a slightly faster pace than Link. By the way, "slightly" does not have a standard unit of measurement. And no, I don't. Did you give him a can of bean-o or something too that I don't know about because you didn't specify?

12 tons? That's an interesting number. Where did you get that?

See? I don't remember that at all.

He'll be beamed out in the nick of time.

Pacman likes to eat. Link is edible. No, but I did in a round about way give him some things to use.

ScreamPaste.

Originally posted by Super Marie 64
There are four ghosts.

Link is alone.

Pacman is the hunter here, not the hunted.

Not being able to focus on all of them, doesn't mean he doesn't know where they are. I've taken a great amount of levels throughout my years in Pacman, many, many points, but the skills of the player can not be used to gauge the capacity of the character.

To be abundantly clear with my case: Just because you know where the ghosts are, doesn't mean they can't eventually corner you. They are more, and move randomly. There will come a point when you are cornered, not out of lack of attention but as a result of random events conspiring against you.

Pacman can only smell Link when he is too close. Would have thought that was enough to convey the meaning that Pacman cannot at all times know where Link is.

Originally posted by BloodRain
Then a win as long as he can keep it up. At lv30 moving your whole arm to control the blocks is murder compared to pressing a button.

Yeah, so far its like playing wii tennis vs a supercomputer.

..... touché.

For instance?

It's actually murder for another reason. See Tetirs Effect.

..... It can be the enemy A.I on Wii Tennis then. Level 1 for simplicity. It is controlling the bar.

Fruit?

Peppy's just a coach here. There's only so much you can teach, and only at X pace. Fox knows this by heart, all Link has is Peppy's voice and a brief investigation.

Link also happens to be the fastest learner ever. He'll get the gist of the ship in no time. Peppy is there to help with some advice and intel on how Fox tends to fight.

Last edited by AuraAngel on Mar 15th, 2011 at 08:40 PM

Old Post Mar 15th, 2011 08:37 PM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BloodRain
Knight of Retribution

Wind against Pacman? Would be hard to set that one up.

"Gonna need more chloroform..."

"If you look down on us, judge us, condemn us... then you shall fear us!"

Old Post Mar 15th, 2011 08:38 PM
BloodRain is currently offline Click here to Send BloodRain a Private Message Find more posts by BloodRain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

Originally posted by BloodRain
Wind against Pacman? Would be hard to set that one up.
Set way point near power pellet, wait, when Pacman is between you and waypoint, snatch pellet, teleport, stab.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2011 08:45 PM
ScreamPaste is currently offline Click here to Send ScreamPaste a Private Message Find more posts by ScreamPaste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Link has no magic vs Pacman.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2011 08:46 PM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Super Marie 64
Queen of Feuds

Pacman can only smell Link when he is too close. Would have thought that was enough to convey the meaning that Pacman cannot at all times know where Link is.

Pacman can turn on a dime, and where does this "smell" part come from? He doesn't have a nose. Or are you altering Pacman for the sake of the thread?

Old Post Mar 15th, 2011 08:47 PM
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

Link has no magic vs Pacman.
Oh, you're ghey then. Meh.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2011 08:48 PM
AuraAngel
Hegemon

(please log in to view the image)

I see a nose. And no, am respecting limitations of the old games. Besides, in the original Pacman he doesn't seem to have eyes either.

Originally posted by ScreamPaste
Oh, you're ghey then. Meh.

He can still win. :O

Old Post Mar 15th, 2011 08:49 PM
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

By throwing his sword so far left it comes from the right?

Old Post Mar 15th, 2011 08:53 PM
CosmicComet

Proof that Link is edible?

Old Post Mar 15th, 2011 08:55 PM
CosmicComet is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicComet a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicComet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Originally posted by ScreamPaste
By throwing his sword so far left it comes from the right?

Nope. By stripping.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2011 08:55 PM
MooCowofJustice
Too Far Gone

He'll be beamed out in the nick of time.

Pacman likes to eat. Link is edible. No, but I did in a round about way give him some things to use.

ScreamPaste.

Lame.

You expected fruit to do that. Fail.

ScreamPaste's calculations were for a bolt of lightning, I believe. I think you just accepted that it's lightning.

All hail Scythe, King of the Sigs.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2011 08:59 PM
MooCowofJustice is currently offline Click here to Send MooCowofJustice a Private Message Find more posts by MooCowofJustice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
Lame.

You expected fruit to do that. Fail.

ScreamPaste's calculations were for a bolt of lightning, I believe. I think you just accepted that it's lightning.

Why fail again?

?

ScreamPaste calculations were for a spherically shaped electric attack. Not lightning. :O

Old Post Mar 15th, 2011 09:05 PM
Super Marie 64
Queen of Feuds

(please log in to view the image)

I see a nose. And no, am respecting limitations of the old games. Besides, in the original Pacman he doesn't seem to have eyes either.

He can still win. :O

While I can't see the image, I assume it's the art for the arcade. While I bow to that presentation, there are still a few problems that challenge your poor conclusion:

There's no indication that it's his sense of smell that discover the cherry, and not some other awareness. Can you smell ghosts? And he knows of the cherry the instant it appears, so smell is an unlikely conclusion.

In addition, "cover art" can just as well be simply made to appeal, and doesn't necessarily tell the truth. It's just there to be cute, since he doesn't look at all like that in the game.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2011 09:14 PM
AuraAngel
Hegemon

While I can't see the image, I assume it's the art for the arcade. While I bow to that presentation, there are still a few problems that challenge your poor conclusion:

There's no indication that it's his sense of smell that discover the cherry, and not some other awareness. Can you smell ghosts? And he knows of the cherry the instant it appears, so smell is an unlikely conclusion.

In addition, "cover art" can just as well be simply made to appeal, and doesn't necessarily tell the truth. It's just there to be cute, since he doesn't look at all like that in the game.

It is actually a 3d rendering of Pacman. Sort of like how a 3D Link proves that Link has fingers and such.

The alternatives are: Hearing it, when fruit doesn't exactly make a sound. Or giving him a birds eye view of the labyrinth, which is the players perspective. The latter is the one you prefer though it seems improbable. I don't understand why Pacman would be able to see where everything is, including himself. He can technically even see his death.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2011 09:31 PM
BloodRain
Knight of Retribution

Isnt this like how a player controlled character can react to something behind them only due to the players view? Pacman probably doesnt sense, smell or see how in our view, just running along hoping not to run into a ghost.

"Gonna need more chloroform..."

"If you look down on us, judge us, condemn us... then you shall fear us!"

Old Post Mar 15th, 2011 09:45 PM
Demonic Phoenix

1. Link likely clears Tetris.

2. M2 TK > Link's sword swings

3. Can't speak for SpaceWar.

4. LOLSPITE. He gets eaten by Pacman.

Originally posted by CosmicComet
Proof that Link is edible?

^ It's in his face

~ The power-ups will at the very least turn him edible. Pac-man's faster, and knows where the power-ups are located.

"To all visitors from Transylvania looking for the head of Voivode Dracula: Yes, we have it. Yes, he's dead. No, you cannot see it. No, he will not return and invade you again. It has been over thirty years, please stop pestering us."

Old Post Mar 15th, 2011 10:14 PM
Demonic Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Demonic Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Demonic Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote