KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » John Carter

John Carter
Started by: Kazenji

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (20): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Esau Cairn
Contagious

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Just read that part that "explains" how he ends up on Mars. It's pretty vague, but interesting. It might be a spoiler, though. I hope they stay true to this: [SPOILER - highlight to read]: He's being pursued by Indians and hides in a cave. He wakes up and can't move, so it makes it seem like they've drugged him with some gas. He then has some sort of out-of-body experience where he is looking at himself and then he looks toward the heavens and is suddenly transported to Mars because he has an affinity for war. So it sounds like we're not supposed to know if it's a dream or some sort of acid trip or he died or what...

Hahaha... I love it. laughing

The other version, I vaguely recall (from having read the stories over 25 years ago) isn't set in Western times ie: cowboys & Indians.

It's more like 1940's & John Carter's living in the city....
From memory : [SPOILER - highlight to read]: He builds a prototype telescope & "discovers" Mars. Whilst observing Mars he becomes aware that it is inhabited with life forms who appear to be at war with each other.
Then someone on Mars discovers that John is watching them & he is then transported to their planet & finds himself in the midst of battle.

I think the reason for the 2 versions was due to Burroughs re-writing the John Carter stories as it became popular.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2011 08:00 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
I think the reason for the 2 versions was due to Burroughs re-writing the John Carter stories as it became popular.

Ah. Interesting! That's probably the one they'll go with for the movie, then. It makes better "real-world" sense, as much as sci-fi can. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: An ambiguous drug-induced hallucination doesn't sound very Disney. lol. Sucks, though, cuz that's the better one to me.. haha. But I guess they both have kind of an Evil Dead sort of feel (speaking of re-writing things...)

Old Post Dec 10th, 2011 08:17 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
I have the feeling this movie is going to bomb hard. It needs to be marketed better.

It's three months from release. Expect them to push hard starting at Christmas and the next few months. I see the teaser poster in the theatres.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Dec 11th, 2011 05:21 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Just read that part that "explains" how he ends up on Mars. It's pretty vague, but interesting. It might be a spoiler, though. I hope they stay true to this: [SPOILER - highlight to read]: He's being pursued by Indians and hides in a cave. He wakes up and can't move, so it makes it seem like they've drugged him with some gas. He then has some sort of out-of-body experience where he is looking at himself and then he looks toward the heavens and is suddenly transported to Mars because he has an affinity for war. So it sounds like we're not supposed to know if it's a dream or some sort of acid trip or he died or what...

Hahaha... I love it. laughing

The movie may make some changes there; maybe a dimensional doorway like the ones to Narnia. I read that passage in the book, and Carter narrates that part in the cave where the Indians don't come in because they feel a dark presence behind Carter; he feels it too but can't explain it, only that it makes someone afraid. Kind of vague.

But nothing like in the novel that preceded John Carter by a few years - Lieutenant Gullivar Jones: His Vacation. Striking similarities; another former Civil War soldier gets transported to Mars, but he gets there by magic carpet! You put that on screen, no one will buy it.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Dec 11th, 2011 08:06 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by roughrider
The movie may make some changes there; maybe a dimensional doorway like the ones to Narnia.

I hope not, that would be gay as hell. I'd much prefer Esau's explanation...

From memory : [SPOILER - highlight to read]: He builds a prototype telescope & "discovers" Mars. Whilst observing Mars he becomes aware that it is inhabited with life forms who appear to be at war with each other.
Then someone on Mars discovers that John is watching them & he is then transported to their planet & finds himself in the midst of battle.

I hope Disney doesn't gay it up. It looks fun on the trailer. Oh, and I'm really loving the way the book is written. He's a great writer.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2011 10:25 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

In this video, the director says he is "mysteriously transported to Mars." So at least they're keeping it mysterious. I hope he takes a bite of a particularly potent 'shroom. laughing out loud

Old Post Dec 13th, 2011 06:03 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I'm pretty psyched about this. I finished reading A Princess of Mars. I'll be moving to The Gods of Mars soon, I think. It's pretty great. Love his writing and it's a pretty moving premise, so I'm anxious to see if they keep the core or the heart of the story intact. The trailers look good, I think. Of course, I'd probably prefer that it would be an R-rated adventure, cuz the stories are written somewhat graphically, but with a $250 million budget and coming from Disney, that's probably unrealistic.. heh. But it hasn't be rated yet, so we'll see...

Old Post Dec 17th, 2011 11:04 PM
super pr*xy

saw the 2nd trailer during sherlock holmes.. i didn't like the 1st trailer, but the 2nd one piqued my interest..

Old Post Dec 20th, 2011 02:25 AM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Holy shit, this is gonna f*cking rock. Although the CGI looks a little "iffy." But here's a really nice TV Spot trailer... eek! blink

Old Post Dec 20th, 2011 06:33 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Japanese trailer with some new scenes

http://www.superherohype.com/news/a...ohn-carter-hits

Old Post Dec 24th, 2011 02:15 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Nice, find sir. (At first I thought I might resist watching it, but what the hell, I've read the book at this point, I don't really mind.) Cool, looks like he gets to Mars by [SPOILER - highlight to read]: some sort of contraption he stumbles upon..?, which isn't exactly true to the book, but I guess I can dig it. I expected that to get changed. It looks like it is staying pretty true to the book, though.

And you know what, though? I already want a sequel, cuz the second book starts out really badass. This could probably turn out to be a multi-film sci-fi/action/fantasy epic. And I hope it does. But there you go, I've probably already jinxed it... erm

Old Post Dec 24th, 2011 02:53 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I'm pretty effin' psyched about this. I think it's gonna rock. The trailers are really nicely done, which is probably a good sign. I think the director has got some skillz. Check out this little TV spot...

And I thought this picture looked fu*king NICE...

Attachment: where the hell am i.jpg
This has been downloaded 53 time(s).

Old Post Dec 28th, 2011 03:44 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

International Poster

(please log in to view the image)

Attachment: johncarterinternational.jpg
This has been downloaded 37 time(s).

Old Post Jan 11th, 2012 10:40 PM
Tzeentch
#gottem

I still predict this movie is going to bomb. I have heard absolutely zero public buzz on this.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jan 12th, 2012 01:35 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Well the timing of release is the critical point.

I mean Avengers in April & Batman in July...does anyone know when this is hitting the big screen?

I also think naming the movie John Carter was a bad idea from a marketing point of view.
It hints neither at action nor fantasy...

"DADDY DADDY, I want to see John Carter."
That just screams STRANGER DANGER!!!

Last edited by Esau Cairn on Jan 12th, 2012 at 08:22 AM

Old Post Jan 12th, 2012 08:18 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I mean Avengers in April & Batman in July...does anyone know when this is hitting the big screen?

Comes out March 9th. Though I don't think they had a rating for it until just recently. The Official Site says PG-13 now. That might be why they've been hesitant to do much heavy marketing.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2012 07:50 PM
siriuswriter

When I first came upon this movie name, I thought it was a Western. Took me to see the trailer to know that's it's spacey. Saw the trailer attached to Girl With A Dragon Tattoo... so-so.

I agree, this will tank if Disney doesn't step up the marketing. This could actually have moments of excitement in it, but you wouldn't know unless you're a fan or have time to fiddle around the movie forums. Which not everyone does.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2012 05:28 AM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by siriuswriter

but you wouldn't know unless you're a fan or have time to fiddle around the movie forums. Which not everyone does.

I'm neither

yet i'm still interested in this movie.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2012 06:16 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Good for you, Kazenji.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jan 14th, 2012 06:53 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

yet another useless post from Blaxican have fun doing your trolling.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2012 07:00 AM