KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Destiny

Destiny
Started by: Zack Fair

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (49): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Gravelord
Trapped within

Nah, it doesn't feel much like Halo at all. Bungie could have made just about any science fiction game and I feel like they would all draw these types of comparisons.

"Evil will hold."

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2014 05:01 AM
The Gravelord is currently offline Click here to Send The Gravelord a Private Message Find more posts by The Gravelord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Renegade
Nah, it doesn't feel much like Halo at all. Bungie could have made just about any science fiction game and I feel like they would all draw these types of comparisons.

You didn't get it when i said "Halo-Lands" roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2014 06:35 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

I didn't either.

Can you explain?

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2014 08:39 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Estacado
Legendary

Think he ment its halo gameplay mixed with border lands xp system and sandbox world.

Bankai.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2014 08:43 AM
Estacado is currently offline Click here to Send Estacado a Private Message Find more posts by Estacado Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

And Kazenji says it like it's a bad thing.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2014 11:15 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Estacado
Legendary

As long as its fun I dont care.

Bankai.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2014 12:17 PM
Estacado is currently offline Click here to Send Estacado a Private Message Find more posts by Estacado Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by The Renegade
I'll give some early impressions and keep on going as I play, as opposed to just waiting until it's over.

(Note: I have not done competitive multiplayer yet.)

I've gone with a Warlock. The level cap is eight.

My impressions are similar to Zack Fair's impression. The graphics are great, the gameplay is tight, it's responsive, and character customization isn't horrendously elaborate (no sliders) but the options you're given are decent. Also, the class powers are cool. The special grenade you get when you're a Warlock doesn't just explode. Instead, it sucks the life out of enemies rapidly in this vivid purple aura.

I like that the hairstyles are "far out" and unique. Many have criticized this but it makes sense that hairstyles would appear different many years into the future.

Some criticism? Peter Dinklage's voice acting is weak and the framerate is a tad skippish for 1080p. It's nothing drastic but I'm sure they'll iron it out. Also, not being able to turn my character around three hundred and sixty degrees is irritating when creating a character.

This obviously isn't a major criticism but I like to see what the hairstyles look from behind, especially the female ones, and you basically have to do the intro sequence and get to the tower before you can. That sucks.

Other than that? It's great. Running around giant open spaces, doing quests, and joining other players in live events is incredibly entertaining. I don't know what the story is like but, in terms of looks and feeling, This game has it down like it should. It's budget (exceeding hundreds of millions) surely did not go to waste, in that respect.

These are my impressions, as of so far. I'll note that this is not a review and, at least, not a full one. As a policy, I don't review alpha or beta stages in games as it is not the complete product.

This is the type of review I was looking for.

thumb up

This is my most anticipated game in years.

Originally posted by Estacado

As long as its fun I dont care.

Halo-Lands? (Amalgamation of Halo and Borderlands)

**** yes. Sign me up. That sounds like an awesome game.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2014 02:14 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Estacado
Legendary

Originally posted by dadudemon
This is the type of review I was looking for.

thumb up

This is my most anticipated game in years.

Halo-Lands? (Amalgamation of Halo and Borderlands)

**** yes. Sign me up. That sounds like an awesome game.

thumb up
Yup.
Been waiting for a borderlands type of game.

Bankai.

Last edited by Estacado on Jul 22nd, 2014 at 03:12 PM

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2014 03:02 PM
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Warlock is a lot more fun than Hunter for me. Enjoyed MP more with the Warlock, eventhough the flying/jetpack thing is a lil underwhelming.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2014 05:40 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Estacado
Legendary

^
Ha told ya magic is the only way!

Bankai.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2014 05:48 PM
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

I've played Titan and Hunter.

I enjoyed the Titan better, more suited to my play style

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2014 06:00 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Problem with the hunter is that he feels too effin weak/squishy. That double jump is beast though.

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2014 06:04 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

I thought I would play as hunter when the game is released. Seems to fit more my play style. Totes my goats in Borderlands 2. smile

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2014 06:37 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

It's fine. Going to pick it up when it gets released but I totally see Halo-Lands. Hell, they even give you a AI that follows and talks to you...

Old Post Jul 24th, 2014 01:26 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

I've been playing as a Hunter Exo (the machine race). So far, this game is a blast! Its cool just running past other players going about their missions on while I'm in a random part of the map doing my own missions. It all comes off as very MMORPGish, and its ****ing awesome. I'll definitely be picking this game up when it comes out.

PWNT

Old Post Jul 24th, 2014 03:19 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Yeah the campaign/sp/mmo coop facets are well done. Feels really cool.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2014 08:18 AM
The Gravelord
Trapped within

Originally posted by Kazenji
You didn't get it when i said "Halo-Lands" roll eyes (sarcastic)

Halo + Borderlands = Halo-Lands, I imagine. Regardless, the implication was that it's like Halo, which I disagreed with.

"Evil will hold."

Old Post Jul 24th, 2014 11:22 AM
The Gravelord is currently offline Click here to Send The Gravelord a Private Message Find more posts by The Gravelord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

It is though....

You character wakes up and gets introduced by an AI that goes with and tells you where to go and to watch out for things. You also have a radar very similar to Halo and the regenerating shield. I also think I heard a few similar Halo sounds as well.

Doesn't mean its a bad thing but this game doesn't seem to push any new gaming boundaries.

I don't like how you go to third person at the city. I totally look weird.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2014 01:02 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Gravelord
Trapped within

Originally posted by Smasandian
It is though....

You character wakes up and gets introduced by an AI that goes with and tells you where to go and to watch out for things. You also have a radar very similar to Halo and the regenerating shield. I also think I heard a few similar Halo sounds as well.

Doesn't mean its a bad thing but this game doesn't seem to push any new gaming boundaries.

Nah, not really.

The radar is common in more game than Halo, along with the "regenerating shield." Shields, even ones that generate, are prevalent in sci-fi games. A "few similar Halo sounds?" That's a straw clutch, to me.

I'm not saying it abstains completely from sharing elements that Halo had. It doesn't. It has a similar style, especially due it being the same developer, but it being called "Halolands" and "Next gen Halo" are unwarranted because I don't think it shares enough to warrant such titles. So, I wouldn't say there's enough to claim it's "like Halo." I think it would need to share a lot of things for that to be reasonable.

Also, your evaluation seems to have a shred of confirmation bias attached to it. You didn't seem to highlight any of the differences but rather a few similarities, some more desperate than others and some commonly found in science fiction.

I even get the "wake up to A.I." thing but it's just so separated from what happens. In Destiny, it's implied you were dead. In Halo, MC was sleeping. In Destiny, the A.I. recovers you. In Halo, you meet the A.I. after being woken up by assorted crew members. Destiny, male hovering bot. Halo, female holo A.I.

Not to mention, we haven't seen enough to assume that Ghost will develop like Cortana did. Ghost could have a completely different character development and role than Cortana did. It's a little early to write it off as similar because it's also an "A.I." and it's there at the beginning of the game.

Also, I don't know if it pushes many boundaries, especially due to the fact that the full game isn't out yet.

"Evil will hold."

Old Post Jul 24th, 2014 02:40 PM
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Originally posted by Smasandian
It is though....

Hmm it does feel like Halo/albeit with better controls. The radar and regenerating shield is such a standard for shooters nowadays that I wouldn't use them to compare it to Halo. Everything else is Halo like. From a ghost-like personal vehicle to the way the enemies behave and even the ships that arrive and deliver new Fallen feel very Covenant. I agree. The game is not revolutionary as far as the the actual shooting gameplay goes(its pretty much a halo reskin) however it might get to be revolutionary if the MMO aspects live up to the hype.

Props to Bungie for always delivering awesome AI though. Some of the fallen have genuinely surprised me. Either by outflanking me, or pushing when I'm reloading from relocating and stuff.

The radar sucks balls, but I guess I'll get used to it.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2014 05:28 PM