KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Revamping the tierings/power levels in comics...

Revamping the tierings/power levels in comics...
Started by: TheLordofMurder

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Oliver North
0 - No strength, character is intangible and can't physically affect the world
1 - less than basic human, child, elderly [Power Pack, Franklin Richards]
2 - Basic human [Daredevil]
3 - Enhanced Human [Cap]
daredevil doesn't have basic human strength, he's olympic level. basic human strength is like random AIM scientist #467

Old Post Apr 5th, 2013 10:27 PM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

This tier is more complicated than that.

You have to set a base for it.

So you have Human Tier

Below Adult Human: Aunt May, Quanchi (lol busting level capability)
Normal Adult Human: Jarvis, Alfred (lip busting level capability)
Athlete Adult Human: Flash Thompson (face, bone busting level capability)
Peak Adult Human: Batman (killer capability)

From there you build up, and yes I am suggesting Quanchi to be pilar of this tier. laughing out loud

Thank You Prof. T.C McAbe, You are Superman!

Last edited by Rao Kal El on Apr 5th, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Old Post Apr 5th, 2013 10:57 PM
Rao Kal El is currently offline Click here to Send Rao Kal El a Private Message Find more posts by Rao Kal El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

I'm all for scaling things down, eg, herald level should not be able to survive black holes, and street levelers can't dodge bullets.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2013 11:03 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by psycho gundam
daredevil doesn't have basic human strength, he's olympic level. basic human strength is like random AIM scientist #467

fair enough

I'd even say 10 levels isn't enough, it was more just to demonstrate what I was saying than to give any hard and fast levels to anything.

Hell, you could even break it into level 2 - human A), B), C), D) E), etc, where necessary.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2013 11:14 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raisen

Manliness Tier

Female: Not a man at all (Black Widow, Thor, Carver, Scarlett Witch)

Beta Male: Male that avoids other male genitalia (Most men are in this category)

Alpha Male: On a constant mission seeking out male genitalia to "size" up competition (Only Bruce is in this category)

Old Post Apr 5th, 2013 11:44 PM
Raisen is currently offline Click here to Send Raisen a Private Message Find more posts by Raisen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
h1a8

Re: Revamping the tierings/power levels in comics...

Originally posted by TheLordofMurder
I once touched upon this topic with Rage and zopzop and I think its something worth discussing in detail...

In comics (both in Marvel and DC) you have characters performing feats that are far beyond what they really should be accomplishing (IMHO of course)...as a result, I fully believe dam near every aspect of both DC and Marvel comics needs to be retconned.

Now assumming that it was up to you, how would you rebalance everything so that there is atleast some logic and consistency in the type of feats various characters are able to perform?

I'll go 1st to give an example of what I am asking for:

Street Level
Low: Can beat up the weak and the Elderly...or a normal person that is physically impared in some way; may be grossly out of shape and slow for example.
Mid: Can beat up common crooks/thugs.
High: Can beat up a very skilled and physically powerful opponent...Brock Lesnar for example.

Enhanced
Low: Can defeat scores of normal humans without much effort.
Mid: Can go crazy and wreck vehicles and small buildings one after another.
High: Can wreck large buildings and devastate city blocks.

Herald
Low: Can manipulate matter/energy or destroy objects on par with the Martian Moon Deimos (12km diameter).
Mid: Can manipulate matter/energy or destroy objects on par with the Martian Moon Phobos (22km diameter).
High: Can manipulate matter/energy or destroy objects on par with the Saturn Moon Siarnaq (32km diameter).

Trans
Low: Can manipulate matter/energy or destroy objects on par with the Saturn Moon Dione (1120km diameter).
Mid: Can manipulate matter/energy or destroy objects on par with the Neptune Moon Triton (2706km diameter).
High: Can manipulate matter/energy or destroy objects on par with the Jupiter Moon Io (3636km diameter).

Skyfather
Low: Can manipulate matter/energy or destroy objects on par with a small planet; Mars (6800km diameter).
Mid: Can manipulate matter/energy or destroy objects on par with a medium sized planet; Earth (12756km diameter).
High: Can manipulate matter/energy or destroy objects on par with a large planet; Neptune (49500km diameter).

Elder God
Low: Can manipulate matter/energy or destroy objects on par with a gas giant; Saturn (120536km diameter).
Mid: Can manipulate matter/energy or destroy objects on par with a small star; Red Dwarf (210000km diameter).
High: Can manipulate matter/energy or destroy objects on par with an average star; Our Sun (1390000km diameter).

Cube Being
Low: Can reality warp several solar systems at will.
Mid: Can reality warp dozens of solar systems at will.
High: Can reality warp a small pocket dimension at will.

Abstract/High Powered Cosmic
Low: Can bust a Galaxy.
Mid: Can bust a Galactic Cluster.
High: Can bust a Super Cluster.

God Tier
Low: Can wreck havok on a universal scale at will.
Mid: Can destroy a universe, but not all at once.
High: Can 1 shot an entire universe.

Dam that took alot of time (prays this doesnt get locked; I put alot of effort into this)....

Anyway, again, how would you all rebalance the comic book tiers/power levels if it were up to you?
I agree with this 100%. Good job. I would say that average portrayals though. For example, a character is in x tier if they can under average portrayals do y things. 1 more thing, a skyfather has to be immune to all bfr tactics (can get back from any dimension or location in space). A herald has to be immune to space bfr tactics (get back from anywhere in space).

-General Zod: Superman II

Old Post Apr 6th, 2013 12:50 AM
h1a8 is currently offline Click here to Send h1a8 a Private Message Find more posts by h1a8 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Uriel005

Originally posted by 753
op's parameters are far too low and would inflate power level descriptions: metas would be pushing herald and heralds would be pushing skyfather.

the tier thread we already have is adequate for the most part
You're equating the name of the rank with power level. OP is more concerned with more defined limits and reclassification of heroes more than a simple renaming of the tier system. Like Captain America being considered a peak human.... no way in hell does he fall into high street-low/mid meta tier like some place him in. He's delivered hulk staggering blows with his bare hands and feet. He outpaces cars and has recovered from a bullet to the brainpan in a matter of hours. OP just wants to redefine where he belongs and give clear criteria to tiers rather than the roundabouts system that we have.

to be quite honest I would take it a step further and create sub-classifications to include things like energy manips intelligence etc etc.

edit: at least that's what I'm getting from this.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2013 01:59 AM
Uriel005 is currently offline Click here to Send Uriel005 a Private Message Find more posts by Uriel005 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheLordofMurder

Thanx for the responses peeps! Now to respond to some of your replies...

Old Post Apr 6th, 2013 04:18 AM
TheLordofMurder is currently offline Click here to Send TheLordofMurder a Private Message Find more posts by TheLordofMurder Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheLordofMurder

Originally posted by -Pr-
Pretty much, yep.

==

So is this thread designed as a new tier listing?

Not really a "new" tierings list, just a coherent idea of how to define character power levels and also set limits (a parameter) of what a character in a particular tier should be capable of doing...

It avoids ridiculousness like Thor absorbing and redirecting a blast capable of destroying 1/5th of the universe for example; Thor (and other characters in his tier) would have definitive limits on what they could do and any writer could work within those confines while maintaining suspension of disbelief...

Old Post Apr 6th, 2013 04:23 AM
TheLordofMurder is currently offline Click here to Send TheLordofMurder a Private Message Find more posts by TheLordofMurder Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheLordofMurder

Originally posted by Oliver North
I've always found tiers to be somewhat problematic. It seems like characters that have one very specific ability at a trans level often get equated with characters that have a vast array of abilities simply because that one skill. For instance, Man-Thing is far too durable/has too good of regeneration to put him in the Enhanced category, but lacks any other real powers to make him a herald. I think Hulk is also an issue (and, in fact, looking at the divisions above, it is ranked almost entirely in terms of destructive potential, meaning someone like Cyclops would be ranked far too high [potentially high herald the way some members like to cite "Get off my lawn"]).

It is probably way too much effort, but I've always thought breaking it down into a numeric system for different properties. So, like, for strength you might have:

0 - No strength, character is intangible and can't physically affect the world
1 - less than basic human, child, elderly [Power Pack, Franklin Richards]
2 - Basic human [Daredevil]
3 - Enhanced Human [Cap]
4 - something between 2-100 tons
5 - something between 2-100 tons
6 - something between 2-100 tons
7 - something between 2-100 tons
8 - ~100 tonner [Thing, Colossus, etc]
9 - Plot device strength (ie: so strong that the story determines the feat) [Hulk, Superman, Thor, etc]
10 - Strength is an irrelevant factor [Galactus, Eternity, etc]

Again, to break down each character or each potential property would be a massive task, but ultimately I think it is a superior system. Most properties could be evaluated using the same 0-10 rubric (less than human -> too powerful for it to matter), and some "overall" score could be calculated, if you really wanted to. I just think something that is closer to this is better than the more generic levels...

/2 cents

thumb up

I completely agree with you and yes, your system would be much more accurate than mines...

Mines are simply guidelines to give each tier more meaning, make things more organized, and set general limits on how a powerful a character in a given tier should (or rather would) be...

Old Post Apr 6th, 2013 04:26 AM
TheLordofMurder

Originally posted by yaadaveyaa
if u were basing off str wouldnt you just take the strongest physical character there is list him as the top and go down from there? like hulk then the next guy down and so on and so forth?

I am thinking it wouldnt go off of just strength, but more of an combo of a characters total abilities...

Old Post Apr 6th, 2013 04:29 AM
TheLordofMurder

Originally posted by zopzop
Ooooh.

Dude, then I agree with you.

In fact, I would go you one better. No God would be able to affect an area larger than where his worshipers have spread. How does it make sense for Odin (or any other skyfather) to be able to bust a planet if there are 11 or so other Skyfathers around with a larger worshiper base spread out over more of the planet (*cough* Vishnu *cough*) ?

Oh and before you think I'm crazy, there was a time when Marvel saw it my way too :
(please log in to view the image)

You make an excellent point pertaining to Skyfathers zopzop... thumb up

Too bad that scan wasnt put into action by the writers in Marvel; things might be much different today if they had...

Old Post Apr 6th, 2013 04:32 AM
Q99

quote:

Enhanced
Low: Can defeat scores of normal humans without much effort.
Mid: Can go crazy and wreck vehicles and small buildings one after another.
High: Can wreck large buildings and devastate city blocks.

There's character we currently have in this category who can do a heck of a lot more.

quote:
Herald
Low: Can manipulate matter/energy or destroy objects on par with the Martian Moon Deimos (12km diameter).
Mid: Can manipulate matter/energy or destroy objects on par with the Martian Moon Phobos (22km diameter).
High: Can manipulate matter/energy or destroy objects on par with the Saturn Moon Siarnaq (32km diameter).

In almost all cases, if a character can do one of these, they can do all of these.

quote:
Trans
Low: Can manipulate matter/energy or destroy objects on par with the Saturn Moon Dione (1120km diameter).
Mid: Can manipulate matter/energy or destroy objects on par with the Neptune Moon Triton (2706km diameter).
High: Can manipulate matter/energy or destroy objects on par with the Jupiter Moon Io (3636km diameter).

In almost all cases, if a character can do one of these, they can do all of these.

quote:

Skyfather
Low: Can manipulate matter/energy or destroy objects on par with a small planet; Mars (6800km diameter).
Mid: Can manipulate matter/energy or destroy objects on par with a medium sized planet; Earth (12756km diameter).
High: Can manipulate matter/energy or destroy objects on par with a large planet; Neptune (49500km diameter).

There are heralds that can planet bust. Heck, many heralds have.
---

The problem is you've made benchmarks that sound fitting to you, but absolutely do not map onto the power tiers as they exist in comics.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2013 04:36 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheLordofMurder

Originally posted by carver9
Ok...so overall, in order for the characters to be ranked in a tier, they would need the fts replicating what you've described in your title? Also, when does the time period begin? Year 2000? 1990? Where do we start.? Some characters would be bumped down a bit. Wouldnt be as many high to mid Heralds and some of the trans characters would be dropped as well looking at their recent portrayals.

I am not suggesting that we take current portrayals of characters and apply my tiers to them...

I am simply saying that if it were up to me, I wouldnt give the writers the free reign to write characters however they chose to write them; there would be parameters and guildelines in place for all the characters (the OP is an example of the structure they'd have)...

I believe the guidelines in the OP would make the task of gauging character power and defining where they belong easier than the system we currently have...

Old Post Apr 6th, 2013 04:37 AM
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

I wouldn't revamp the tiers at all. Just change how specific characters fit in.

The very nature of comics is fluid. And that's without considering multiple takes and opinions on the same character. At best, we could hope for more consistency.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2013 04:38 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheLordofMurder

Originally posted by Mindship
I'm all for scaling things down, eg, herald level should not be able to survive black holes, and street levelers can't dodge bullets.

thumb up

I 100% agree with this...

Old Post Apr 6th, 2013 04:39 AM
TheLordofMurder

Re: Re: Revamping the tierings/power levels in comics...

Originally posted by h1a8
I agree with this 100%. Good job. I would say that average portrayals though. For example, a character is in x tier if they can under average portrayals do y things. 1 more thing, a skyfather has to be immune to all bfr tactics (can get back from any dimension or location in space). A herald has to be immune to space bfr tactics (get back from anywhere in space).

Thank you! And I can agree with this...

thumb up

Old Post Apr 6th, 2013 04:40 AM
TheLordofMurder

Originally posted by Uriel005
You're equating the name of the rank with power level. OP is more concerned with more defined limits and reclassification of heroes more than a simple renaming of the tier system. Like Captain America being considered a peak human.... no way in hell does he fall into high street-low/mid meta tier like some place him in. He's delivered hulk staggering blows with his bare hands and feet. He outpaces cars and has recovered from a bullet to the brainpan in a matter of hours. OP just wants to redefine where he belongs and give clear criteria to tiers rather than the roundabouts system that we have.

to be quite honest I would take it a step further and create sub-classifications to include things like energy manips intelligence etc etc.

edit: at least that's what I'm getting from this.

I couldnt have worded this better myself...

Good stuff! thumb up

Old Post Apr 6th, 2013 04:41 AM
Q99

quote:

So you have Human Tier

Below Adult Human: Aunt May, Quanchi (lol busting level capability)
Normal Adult Human: Jarvis, Alfred (lip busting level capability)
Athlete Adult Human: Flash Thompson (face, bone busting level capability)
Peak Adult Human: Batman (killer capability)

I think not even that covers it.

After all, almost any active non-powered hero can beat up a dozen athletic humans, and then still get their rears handed to them by Batman.

I'd say you'd have athletic human, then low street level hero human (i.e. the types who a dozen thugs is a serious worry. Like, say, Stephanie Brown as Spoiler, Rorschach, yadda yadda),
high street level heroic human (heroes who are badass and well trained, but a step down. Experienced Robins, Vigilante, a good chunk of Batman Inc.),
and then peak street level heroic human (your actual Batman types)

Old Post Apr 6th, 2013 04:44 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheLordofMurder

Originally posted by Q99
There's character we currently have in this category who can do a heck of a lot more.

There are heralds that can planet bust. Heck, many heralds have.
---

The problem is you've made benchmarks that sound fitting to you, but absolutely do not map onto the power tiers as they exist in comics.

Re-read the OP; I do not wish to map my idea on how characters currently rank (in view of current feats)...

I'd throw everything away as pertains all characters and start over; this time with greater organization and guidelines in place...there would be no Herald level characters (like Superman for example) going around sneezing solar systems away or moving Earth sized objects (or even objects the size of our Moon) with his bare hands.

Things definitely need to be scaled down (IMHO of course) to avoid the absolute ridiculous feats some of these characters have...

The OP is just an example of how one might rank the characters and at the same time provide parameters on just what you can expect from a given character performance wise...

Old Post Apr 6th, 2013 04:47 AM