KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Game you regret buying.

Game you regret buying.
Started by: Spawningpool

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 3 4 [5]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Star428
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BloodRawEngine
Lacking AI is something that Turn-based combat only ACCENTUATES by bogging it down for the sake of what you're ccalling "balance". With real-time there's a helluva lot more in terms of sliding scale of diffuculty than just higher stats or larger repertoire of attacks. It's those things IN ADDITION to a more direct and more rewarding sense of progress. I've yet to meet a Turn-based systm that doesn't feel exactly the same as they did back in the 90's.

It really doesn't. As far as I care, it gives you more time to think at the expense of giving you any variety in HOW to act and HOW to perform your roles. Instead of a party handling like a well-oiled machine it's reduced to a point and click. Turn-based combat in RPG's and chess are two completely different things, and if I wanted to play chess, I'D PLAY CHESS. In my experience, TBS games do a better job of capturing only tedim by taking away the sense of competition you can actually get when playing chess, considering that's a two-person game.

Well, I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree then. As I said, Turn-based strategy or tactics games are all that I really enjoy playing. Oh, and I'm not just referring to TBS role-playing games. I'm talking about war games live Civilization Revolution and XCOM (turn-based squad tactics). Both of those games are extremely addictive and competitive. They both require great skill and knowledge and they're both turn-based. smile The best video games I've played in my entire life, tbh.

I've tried RTS games and liked none of them. Usually, I'm constantly pausing the game to think. Not my idea of a good time. It's clear to me that strategy plays a much greater role in TBS games than it does RTS games.

Most people believe Evolution not because they themselves are dumb, but cause they trust the "experts" who are feeding them evolutionary fast food, and so they don't bother questioning whether or not it's true.

Last edited by Star428 on Mar 23rd, 2015 at 04:43 PM

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 04:29 PM
Star428 is currently offline Click here to Send Star428 a Private Message Find more posts by Star428 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

I regret trading my Devil may cry 4 for a Red faction: guerilla. What a disappointment.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 04:40 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BloodRawEngine
Video Game Engine of War

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Star428
Oh, and I'm not just referring to TBS role-playing games. I'm talking about war games live Civilization Revolution and XCOM (turn-based squad tactics). Both of those games are extremely addictive and competitive. They both require great skill and knowledge and they're both turn-based. smile The best video games I've played in my entire life, tbh.

And any decent MOBA title subverts the notion that any game with a sense of competitiveness or strategic knowledge aren't exclusively turn-based. My only incentive on having to end my time with League was the toxic community, not the gameplay at hand.

quote:
I've tried RTS games and liked none of them. Usually, I'm constantly pausing the game to think. Not my idea of a good time. It's clear to me that strategy plays a much greater role in TBS games than it does RTS games.

That's your problem if you're at a loss for things. Me, I prefer the sense of challenge that can come from adapting to the more constant change in something real-time that translates more directly to the fighting at hand.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2015 05:16 PM
BloodRawEngine is currently offline Click here to Send BloodRawEngine a Private Message Find more posts by BloodRawEngine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote