KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Angela vs. Dracula

Angela vs. Dracula
Started by: StiltmanFTW

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
VanMae

Er, the ability to mass-summon and control predators and vermin has been a basic part of Dracula's powerset since the original Bram Stoker novel. How is a Dracula without that ability "normal", unless this is about the historical Vladislaus Drakulya?

Old Post Jun 30th, 2016 06:43 PM
VanMae is currently offline Click here to Send VanMae a Private Message Find more posts by VanMae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Todd lost a legal battle.

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
McFarlane vs. Neil Gaiman, legal battle. Gaiman won and sold the character rights to Marvel.

She's been a part of the MU since 2013.

Isn't that kind of the same thing like how DC/WB lost the "rights" to Captain Marvel?

Old Post Jul 1st, 2016 05:23 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Delta1938
True King of House of El

Originally posted by Flyattractor
Isn't that kind of the same thing like how DC/WB lost the "rights" to Captain Marvel?

Unless you mean something else, DC never lost the rights. Fawcett Comics had been out of business for about a couple decades, and Marvel made their own "Captain Marvel" to secure the trademark, which isn't the same as copyright.

They did this before DC started licensing some of the Fawcett Comics characters(before eventually buying the properties). Since Marvel owned the trademark, while DC could still use the name "Captain Marvel" in the actual stories, they couldn't use it for title name and whatnot.

Now, I don't have a source for this, but I'd figure since they were using "Shazam" as the central trademark for the title names, and that kinda became the brand, that's why DC stopped using "Captain Marvel" as the name after FLASHPOINT. But we see they still had the copyright when Earth-5 Captain Marvel showed-up in THE MULTIVERSITY and I think CONVERGENCE.

So yeah, this isn't the same thing. McFarlin straight-up lost in court, DC just decided it'd be easier to use "Shazam" as the character name since that basically became the brand.

Here's some stuff for whoever would be interested in the legal history.

http://goodcomics.blogspot.com/2005...revealed-2.html

http://goodcomics.blogspot.com/2005...revealed-6.html

http://goodcomics.comicbookresource...ds-revealed-12/

Old Post Jul 1st, 2016 06:09 AM
Delta1938 is currently offline Click here to Send Delta1938 a Private Message Find more posts by Delta1938 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote