KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Amazing.....?Why? 22222

Amazing.....?Why? 22222
Started by: eninn

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
MythLord
Diamond

Yo Leach and Adam, what if someone believes there could be a chance that a God might exist, but isn't sure due to no concrete evidence being presented?
Would he be a theist or an atheist?

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Mar 25th, 2019 06:28 PM
MythLord is currently offline Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Atheist.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2019 06:30 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Agnostic-Atheist

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 25th, 2019 06:32 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Eon Blue
So you’re arguing that there’s no such thing as agnosticism as a paradigm?

Well, you can be "agnostic" toward any number of notions (God or otherwise). Just wait until the evidence comes in. But that doesn't necessarily indicate what you do or do not believe. You could be agnostic toward the existence of God (meaning you don't know for sure), but still believe. Atheists basically have to remain somewhat agnostic because there's also no conclusive proof of no God...

But with that being said: as far as how the evidence aligns, there's no good evidence to demonstrate any sort of personal God and there's plenty of evidence to demonstrates impersonal natural processes (Big bang, evolution through natural selection, etc). God is really no more than an attempt to solve the problem of infinite regression, to make that beginning point. But that beginning point is likely some law of physics that we have yet to discover and possibly never will. Call that "God" if you want, but it gets you deism at most. Definitely not Allah or Yahweh or SATAN (my favorite, lol) or any other sort of personal entity that is directly involved in the world.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2019 06:41 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Oh, wow! Everyone else showed up here! eek!

Welcome everyone! Welcome to eninn's fun little thread of Islamic Propaganda! evil face

Old Post Mar 25th, 2019 06:46 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

It is a fun thread.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Mar 25th, 2019 06:57 PM
MythLord is currently offline Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Oh, wow! Everyone else showed up here! eek!

Welcome everyone! Welcome to eninn's fun little thread of Islamic Propaganda! evil face

Eninn is harmless. He's also my brother in Islam. PBUH

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 25th, 2019 06:58 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Robtard
Eninn is harmless. He's also my brother in Islam. PBUH

Didn't know you were Muslim, 'tard.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2019 06:59 PM
sapphire lion
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well, you can be "agnostic" toward any number of notions (God or otherwise). Just wait until the evidence comes in. But that doesn't necessarily indicate what you do or do not believe. You could be agnostic toward the existence of God (meaning you don't know for sure), but still believe. Atheists basically have to remain somewhat agnostic because there's also no conclusive proof of no God...

But with that being said: as far as how the evidence aligns, there's no good evidence to demonstrate any sort of personal God and there's plenty of evidence to demonstrates impersonal natural processes (Big bang, evolution through natural selection, etc). God is really no more than an attempt to solve the problem of infinite regression, to make that beginning point. But that beginning point is likely some law of physics that we have yet to discover and possibly never will. Call that "God" if you want, but it gets you deism at most. Definitely not Allah or Yahweh or SATAN (my favorite, lol) or any other sort of personal entity that is directly involved in the world.

yeah, keep looking for that law of physics. when evidence that says otherwise stares you in the face.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2019 07:29 PM
sapphire lion is currently offline Click here to Send sapphire lion a Private Message Find more posts by sapphire lion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

You’re preaching to the choir about the implications that agnosticism begets deism as opposed to direct theism. Most religions hold to a childlike and fictitious god-like figure that revels in pettiness; textbook examples of a grand patriarch are dubious at best.

I’m in agreement to the latter point of your post, but I do believe there is a clear schism between atheism and agnosticism: there are varied beliefs that intersect between both sides of the spectrum, to claim that there is no such thing as agnostic is akin to Jordan Peterson claiming atheists aren’t really atheists. I’d personally place myself within the agnostic-atheist camp generally, even though I find others within said camp to be just as certain as their counterparts.

The macrocosmic sphere of religion generates much hostility from me as much as staunch atheism does.

I will never be a memory.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2019 07:36 PM
Eon Blue is currently offline Click here to Send Eon Blue a Private Message Find more posts by Eon Blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by sapphire lion
yeah, keep looking for that law of physics. when evidence that says otherwise stares you in the face.

Elaborate, please.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2019 07:37 PM
Eon Blue is currently offline Click here to Send Eon Blue a Private Message Find more posts by Eon Blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Well I actually believe deep down every one is a theist. If you listen carefully to Richard Dawkins I don't think he has a problem with the concept of God he just seems to really hate Christians.

He has issues.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2019 10:59 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eon Blue
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Deadline
Well I actually believe deep down every one is a theist. If you listen carefully to Richard Dawkins I don't think he has a problem with the concept of God he just seems to really hate Christians.

He has issues.

Interesting. Elaborate more m, if you care to. I’m genuinely interested in this theory.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 05:25 AM
sapphire lion
Restricted

Account Restricted

Elaborate, please.

very simple all laws gave a beginning or a law giver, something or someone with a mind to set the law in motion.
so if he (patent leech) says a physical law gave birth to our universe/other laws, you still need to answer where did that law come from. would you then say that another law gave birth to said law that gave birth to the cosmos ad infinitum ? nope not possible. for you still have to face the fact that as information is proven to come from a mind a law must(that primal law of physics per his statement.) then have to come from an infinitely complex mind.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 08:55 AM
sapphire lion is currently offline Click here to Send sapphire lion a Private Message Find more posts by sapphire lion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

He has issues.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

An extremely intellectually dishonest analysis. Just wave away everything he says in an entire book he wrote on the subject, The God Delusion.

But I expect nothing more from you.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 12:28 PM
MythLord
Diamond

He has issues.

This is just gonna turn into a "No True Scotsman" fallacy, isn't it?

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 01:23 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

...to claim that there is no such thing as agnostic is akin to Jordan Peterson claiming atheists aren’t really atheists.

There is such a thing as agnostic, it just doesn't pertain to belief, by definition. See next quotes below...

quote:
Agnosticism - has to do with knowledge. (literally "without knowledge")
Atheism - has to do with belief. (literally "without god")

The lack of evidence (knowledge) should lead to a lack of belief. thumb up
quote:
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Belief is a true dichotomy: either one holds a belief or he does not. As it relates to a/theism, if one believes a god exists, he is a theist. All other positions, including, "I do not know," are atheism.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 01:41 PM
Adam_PoE

Originally posted by sapphire lion
very simple all laws gave a beginning or a law giver, something or someone with a mind to set the law in motion.
so if he (patent leech) says a physical law gave birth to our universe/other laws, you still need to answer where did that law come from. would you then say that another law gave birth to said law that gave birth to the cosmos ad infinitum ? nope not possible. for you still have to face the fact that as information is proven to come from a mind a law must(that primal law of physics per his statement.) then have to come from an infinitely complex mind.

Semantics for the loss! This is a spectacularly bad argument. Scientific laws are observations with the highest level of explanatory and predictive power. It is descriptive of natural phenomena, nor proscriptive from a lawgiver.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 04:03 PM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by MythLord
Yo Leach and Adam, what if...

There's no "a" in Leech!

May GOD smite you!

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 05:10 PM
sapphire lion
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Semantics for the loss! This is a spectacularly bad argument. Scientific laws are observations with the highest level of explanatory and predictive power. It is descriptive of natural phenomena, nor proscriptive from a lawgiver.

i havent said they arent descriptive of a natural phenomena, every body knows that. I am well aware that the only way to know these laws is to observe.
The point is did these laws form themselves?
Which is why i said that if a law provided the many laws which govern the cosmos(per patient leech's statement), should it not follow that another law provided that singular law that provided the rest? would it go ad infinitum? or would you quit with attributing such a precise cosmos to some random law that had other singular laws behind it, and try the alternative(i.e if you're willing to admit the alternative in question here) wink

Old Post Mar 26th, 2019 05:21 PM