KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Doctor Strange in the Multiverse Of Madness

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse Of Madness
Started by: carthage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ares834
This movie was basically just some cool scenes and moments strung together by a bare-bone and shoddy plot. And those good moments were almost all pure Raimi. They should just have let him go all the way.
The best scene really was the undead Strange taking control of the spirits and that was straight out of Raimi's Evil Dead-verse.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post May 10th, 2022 09:29 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Robtard
The best scene really was the undead Strange taking control of the spirits and that was straight out of Raimi's Evil Dead-verse.

Yeah, I watched the Red Letter Media review of this because I don't give a f#ck about spoilers and that definitely sounds true.

I'm still not that interested in it even though Raimi did it, because from what it sounds like he only has splashes of his work in it. I don't like inconsistency like that. Marvel has been struggling with consistent tone lately.

Old Post May 10th, 2022 11:14 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tkitna

Just got back from seeing this. It had issues, but it was alright. I'm a Wanda fan so I was entertained. I thought it was average. My son and daughter thought it was horrible.

5/10

By Stoic

Old Post May 11th, 2022 02:46 AM
tkitna is currently offline Click here to Send tkitna a Private Message Find more posts by tkitna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by ares834
This movie was basically just some cool scenes and moments strung together by a bare-bone and shoddy plot. And those good moments were almost all pure Raimi. They should just have let him go all the way.

Yeah, from what I've read, the studio butchered Raimi's vision for the film. IIRC, his original cut was around 160 minutes long. But then Disney Marvel made them do a bunch of reshoots while simultaneously cutting it down to just over two hours. So, from the sounds of it, a lot of what Raimi wanted for the film ended up getting watered down.

#releasetheraimicut

Old Post May 11th, 2022 08:20 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by Darth Thor
So I was expecting better, but I did enjoy it. Enjoyed the horror, the blood, the cool cameos. And the character themes.

That said there were some clear plot holes. I mean jeez how long did it take Wanda to pin America down and take her powers ? Even [SPOILER - highlight to read]: zombie Strange after he was formed took his sweet time to fly over.

And yeah I agree the first film was better. But this one of course had more geek moments.

Wanda should have been able to just [SPOILER - highlight to read]: turn everyone who got in her way into spaghetti but then the heroes would have had no chance of winning at all. So, they just reduced her to shooting red magic lasers 90% of the time, which was dumb.

Also, she can apparently send demons between universes to chase America down but can't go herself? And that's not even getting into the No Way Home points I raised about that earlier.

But this is something that I've previously stated was a concern of mine after WandaVision came out. That they made her so powerful that any story that involves her is going to require a lot of PIS in order for her not to immediately succeed in whatever her objective is.

But the MCU doesn't seem to know how to handle magical characters in general. Because I've had similar complaints about Loki after his solo series and even Strange himself in the past. They give these characters all these different powers and abilities that are all extremely useful, but then basically have them forget about most of them when the plot demands it. Because if characters like Wanda, Loki or Strange consistently utilised their abilities properly, very few opponents would stand a chance against them.

Old Post May 11th, 2022 08:29 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ I guess in the heat of the fight the spells go out the window and their reflex is just to Phew Phew Zap Zap

Old Post May 11th, 2022 11:04 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller

#releasetheraimicut

^^^This seems like it’s becoming a trend.

Old Post May 12th, 2022 05:57 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

I enjoyed this and liked it much more than the first. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: The best part was definitely zombie Strange. That was pure Raimi. I loved the horror vibes, and genuinely did not see SW being the villain coming. Tons of great scenes.

Like everyone else, not a super fan of the illuminati being stomped within minutes. Wanda duking it out with Captain Carter and Marvel while reality warping the others to hell was stupid.

PWNT

Old Post May 12th, 2022 07:14 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by riv6672
^^^This seems like it’s becoming a trend.

Lets just stop that trend.

Old Post May 13th, 2022 06:00 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Nope. The trend needs to continue. Let filmmakers make films, not committees.

Old Post May 13th, 2022 02:14 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

IIRC, his original cut was around 160 minutes long.

Yeah, I was surprised to see it was made shorter.

But that happens to a lot of films, unless you're Peter Jackson...

Old Post May 15th, 2022 04:13 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rudester
Tommy

Crap wasn't impressed. Rolls eyes.

Old Post May 16th, 2022 03:46 AM
rudester is currently offline Click here to Send rudester a Private Message Find more posts by rudester Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Yeah, I was surprised to see it was made shorter.

But that happens to a lot of films, unless you're Peter Jackson...

Yeah, shortening runtime for cinematic releases isn't uncommon. But when you combine a really extensive cut down (literally 25% of the film) with a bunch of reshoots it rarely ends well.

Old Post May 16th, 2022 06:19 AM
riv6672

^^^Right the first time would be nice.

Maybe they make more money this way?

Old Post May 16th, 2022 04:42 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

Saw this Friday night. 6.5-7/10. I was expecting this to be the best flick in Marvel's Phase 4 lineup by a country mile, but it gets a distant second place after the excellence that was No Way Home.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: The Good:
- Agree with the comments on Xavier's introduction with Danny Elfman's rendition of the X-Men cartoon theme. Best moment of the movie, along with the illuminati intro (more on that in a moment).
- Raimi's horror touches throughout the film, especially Zombie Strange with his Darkman/Army of Darkness evil Ash makeup and cosmetics, were a lot of fun to see again.
- Elfman delivered another solid superhero film score.
- Strange vs. evil Strange music battle was one of the best MCU action set pieces to date.
- As stated by nearly everyone on this thread, the America Chavez/Dr. Strange falling through the multiverse sequence was great.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: The Bad:
- This movie was too mediocre for Raimi's comeback to Marvel. Should've let him have full creative control and go crazy on the big screen, but nope, you get some Raimi stylistic flashes mixed in with the Marvel formula.
- The overarching phase four 4 plotting is getting all over the place with this movie and some of the other media (Loki in particular) for the MCU.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: The Ugly:
- While Cumberbatch, as usual, gives a good performance (rather, good performances), his character arc as Strange was near non-existent here. Between No Way Home and MoM, Strange is somewhat going the way of Fat Thor in Endgame: going from an a-tier character to comic relief.
- While Wanda being the villain was a welcome twist, the only way her character arc makes sense is that she has become fully psychotic because of the Scarlet Witch and darkhold taking hold on her. Wandavision ended with her powered up and looking for her boys, but didn't leave any indication she would try to slaughter every universe in her way to get to them. Making her any type of sympathetic doesn't work in the light of the film's plot.
- The Illuminati cameos were soured horribly by the fact they get wrecked a couple minutes after their intro. One of the best sequences of the movie was Professor X going into Wanda's mind, took me back to the best of Fox's X-Men movies, and then he gets insta-killed. Why have all these big characters if they're going to killed immediately? At least let them team up with Strange for a bit, turns out one or two are working with Wanda, etc. Something besides "oh look, Mr. Fantastic!" And then he dies.

Old Post May 17th, 2022 07:20 PM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Yeah, shortening runtime for cinematic releases isn't uncommon. But when you combine a really extensive cut down (literally 25% of the film) with a bunch of reshoots it rarely ends well.

I've enjoyed the film. Sure wouldn't mind it being longer.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Not surprised that Illuminati got steamrolled --- that's the main use of characters from alternate realities, they all die like Kenny from South Park.

Old Post May 17th, 2022 09:13 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
I've enjoyed the film. Sure wouldn't mind it being longer.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Not surprised that Illuminati got steamrolled --- that's the main use of characters from alternate realities, they all die like Kenny from South Park.

I enjoyed the film from a visual standpoint, but the issues I had with some of the plot elements did detract from it for me as a whole.

And I think a reason why a lot of people are annoyed with [SPOILER - highlight to read]: how the Illuminati was handled is the fact that fans have been really excited to see the FF, X-Men etc. ever since Marvel got the film rights back. So, to finally see some of those characters only for them to get wrecked with embarrassing ease was a massive letdown. And that's not even getting into the dumb ways a lot of them died. Reed in particular was an absolute moron, which is made worse by the fact that he's supposed to be a super genius.

Old Post May 18th, 2022 10:48 AM
Darth Thor

^ Luckily they are alternate universe morons.

I really enjoyed the film. Just think it was overhyped. It wasnt a massive event like No Way Home, which is what I think people were expecting. Especially after the trailer showing Patrick Stewart was in this.

But yes there were some clear plot holes.

Old Post May 18th, 2022 11:12 AM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Just think it was overhyped.

It was.

Impossible expectations after NWH.

It was always meant to be a Dr. Strange film, not X4 crossover.

Old Post May 18th, 2022 02:19 PM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Old Post May 19th, 2022 07:42 PM