KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Jungle Cruise (2020)

Jungle Cruise (2020)
Started by: Patient_Leech

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Patient_Leech
System Failure

quote: (post)
Originally posted by riv6672
I’d forgotten all about this. laughing

Yeah, I did too, but to be fair the pandemic pushed back the release date a good bit.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2021 12:47 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Yeah, I did too, but to be fair the pandemic pushed back the release date a good bit.

That’s true.

I had this weird moment though, after seeing this thread again that I’d seen the movie and somehow completely spaced it. confused

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2021 01:16 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

The movie that everyone keeps forgetting about. I think it comes out tomorrow...

I'm not going to lie, it looks awful, but I hope it'll still be entertainingly awful.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2021 09:00 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

The movie that everyone keeps forgetting about. I think it comes out tomorrow...

I'm not going to lie, it looks awful, but I hope it'll still be entertainingly awful.
Yes I have tickets for the wife and eye for 5pm tomorrow.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2021 09:03 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Same.

I’m def. not going in expecting anything deep!

Old Post Jul 29th, 2021 11:06 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Very good reminded me of the Mummy more than Pirates[SPOILER - highlight to read]: the use of an extended orchestral version of nothing else matters is used to transition the film to a more serious mode beautifully. The suffragettes at the end back in London will trigger the usual crowd

Old Post Jul 30th, 2021 05:14 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

The Mummy (1999) was a fun ride and still is, watched it a few months back and it still holds up.

So interesting that you compared it to that, might have to end up watching this.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jul 30th, 2021 05:19 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
The Mummy (1999) was a fun ride and still is, watched it a few months back and it still holds up.

So interesting that you compared it to that, might have to end up watching this.
it is very similar at times and quite enjoyable. The Rock actually acts. He does humour very well here.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2021 07:08 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I probably will give this a chance when I get... a chance.

Especially since you mentioned Metallica, I think. 🤔

Old Post Jul 31st, 2021 01:28 AM
tkitna

Not bad. Emily Blunt is great in everything.

By Stoic

Old Post Jul 31st, 2021 08:33 AM
tkitna is currently offline Click here to Send tkitna a Private Message Find more posts by tkitna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I haven't quite reached the end of this yet, but as Robtard would say, it's pretty much ass. Not necessarily dirty ass, but more like glossy, desperate Disney ass.

As someone who has been on the Amazon river (in much the same way that the movie depicts, as a matter of fact: I went on a Medical mission trip with my dad on a boat in the Amazon of Peru) this is an embarrassingly goofy portrayal. The whole movie is just as I suspected, a sad attempt to make another Pirates of the Caribbean style franchise. And this time it is sort of a knock-off Indiana Jones movie. It actually made me think of Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull a good bit.

The story is lame, the CGI is over-used and it's mostly cringe.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2021 04:00 PM
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

I haven't quite reached the end of this yet, but as Robtard would say, it's pretty much ass. Not necessarily dirty ass, but more like glossy, desperate Disney ass.

As someone who has been on the Amazon river (in much the same way that the movie depicts, as a matter of fact: I went on a Medical mission trip with my dad on a boat in the Amazon of Peru) this is an embarrassingly goofy portrayal. The whole movie is just as I suspected, a sad attempt to make another Pirates of the Caribbean style franchise. And this time it is sort of a knock-off Indiana Jones movie. It actually made me think of Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull a good bit.

The story is lame, the CGI is over-used and it's mostly cringe.
interesting PL I've also visited the Amazon. I just put realism aside for these sort of films. Ffs I lived in Cairo and have a really good working history of ancient Egypt but I lived the Mummy. For me, I just look at them as stories.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2021 04:06 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Yeah, I mean, I don't mind a little fantasy, I know it's a Disney flick. I don't mean that so much as a criticism as an observation.

The main criticism is that I just found the entire thing to be kind of a pathetic and cringy attempt to make another theme park ride blockbuster franchise. Literally the same [SPOILER - highlight to read]: "lift the curse" premise. I did like that The Rock turned into a literal rock at the end, though. highlight for me.. haha. laughing out loud

Old Post Aug 1st, 2021 09:00 PM
Impediment
Endless

I'm not a fan of the Rock. Never have been.

The Rock is to movies what Steve Zahn was to movies in the 2000s.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Aug 1st, 2021 09:55 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

I liked Steve Zahn in Sahara.
He told a funny story in an interview about hitting the gym to get in shape before filming, and feeling really good about putting on muscle/losing body fat.

And then Matthew McConaughey walked in on the first day of filming and Steve was like “well shit, now I feel fat again”. laughing

Old Post Aug 4th, 2021 02:26 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

Watched it at home, it's not as bad as I thought it'd be, even with the blatantly obvious lazy ripoff** of POTC villain angle.

**[SPOILER - highlight to read]: The mutated undying conquistadors might as well been the mutated undying pirates

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Aug 4th, 2021 06:29 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Juat call it dirty ass, Rob. I want to see you say it.

With some of the other decent stuff you've called dirty ass, yet not this...

This was the epitome of artificial, corporate, dirty ass.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2021 12:29 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

So oddly enough a few nights after I watched this I saw...

Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid (2004) (Aka Anaconda 2)

And the comparison of these two films is kind of interesting. Because the plot is actually pretty damn similar. The're both looking for some special flower in the jungle, basically. To use for medical purposes/making money. It was crazy what a breath of fresh air this trashy sequel to another trashy film was because the locations and animals felt more real (aside from the obviously CGI anaconda moments, obviously). But the conflict with the characters and the environments were so much more interesting and compelling.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Aug 6th, 2021 07:35 PM
riv6672

^^^i barely remember that movie.
Well, aside from Salli Richardson.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2021 08:54 AM
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

So oddly enough a few nights after I watched this I saw...

Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid (2004) (Aka Anaconda 2)

And the comparison of these two films is kind of interesting. Because the plot is actually pretty damn similar. The're both looking for some special flower in the jungle, basically. To use for medical purposes/making money. It was crazy what a breath of fresh air this trashy sequel to another trashy film was because the locations and animals felt more real (aside from the obviously CGI anaconda moments, obviously). But the conflict with the characters and the environments were so much more interesting and compelling.

(please log in to view the image)
never watched, but I will.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2021 06:41 PM