KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Oscars 2023

Oscars 2023
Started by: Patient_Leech

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Living was actually surprisingly charming. After the first 10 min or so I was afraid it was going to be painfully boring, but it got much better. Great performance from the Nighy.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2023 01:02 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Watched Blonde.

I confess to not really knowing didley squat about Marilyn Monroe. I enjoyed the movie, at least for Ana de Armas' performance. She's incredible in the film. She carries it. The film itself is not great, though. It's a tough watch. She has daddy issues and that's pretty much the entire film. I give it a 7/10, but that's honestly just for her performance. And she's topless several times.

After the movie I looked up some of her real life and it seems the movie (and novel) does take great artistic liberties with the truth, but it's at least based on reality and rumor.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2023 09:11 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

It seems like Everyything Everywhere... is a shoe in for best picture. Personally, it didn't really do it for me. I thought it was a fun and original movie but I didn't love it.

I really liked Banshees.

But really I'm only interested in the best actor race this year. Having been hearing tons of praise for Fraser, i was kind of expecting it to be hyperbole based on nostalgia people have for him and the films of his form the 90's that they enjoyed, but having now seen The Whale I'm rooting very hard for him. He's truly incredible in that film and elevates it beyond what it otherwise would have been. The fact that he was able to elicit such emotions and give such a nuanced and powerful and human performance while so limited in his movements because of the character's situation was just so impressive to me. Also the way he captures all the little things that living in such a way would certainly include, like the constant heavy, labored breathing, and every movement he makes seeming like such a struggle. Just incredible stuff.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2023 11:34 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaden_3.0

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
It seems like Everyything Everywhere... is a shoe in for best picture. Personally, it didn't really do it for me. I thought it was a fun and original movie but I didn't love it.

I really liked Banshees.

But really I'm only interested in the best actor race this year. Having been hearing tons of praise for Fraser, i was kind of expecting it to be hyperbole based on nostalgia people have for him and the films of his form the 90's that they enjoyed, but having now seen The Whale I'm rooting very hard for him. He's truly incredible in that film and elevates it beyond what it otherwise would have been. The fact that he was able to elicit such emotions and give such a nuanced and powerful and human performance while so limited in his movements because of the character's situation was just so impressive to me. Also the way he captures all the little things that living in such a way would certainly include, like the constant heavy, labored breathing, and every movement he makes seeming like such a struggle. Just incredible stuff.

Agreed. Plus the awards he's won already and the speeches he's given show him to be truly humble and incredibly grateful towards the fans that have been pressuring studios to bring him back to the fore.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2023 11:48 PM
Jaden_3.0 is currently offline Click here to Send Jaden_3.0 a Private Message Find more posts by Jaden_3.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Yeah, by all accounts he's a great guy. I'd honestly be pulling for him even if I didn't think his performance warranted the win, just because how nice he seems. But since he absolutely does deserve to win on the merits of the performance alone, it's an easy thing to root for.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2023 12:37 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Agreed. Hoping for Fraser to win. And I also didn't like Everything Everywhere... it didn't work for me at all. Honestly it's the worst Best Pic nominee to me, so I'll be annoyed if it wins.

I actually re-watched Banshees of Inisherin to show my wife. It's even better the second time.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2023 01:52 AM
Jaden_3.0

Fraser won 👍

Everything Everywhere all at Once doing extremely well with Best Director, Best Actress, Supporting Actor and Actress, Editing, Original Screenplay.

Will it get Best picture though?

Old Post Mar 13th, 2023 03:30 AM
Jaden_3.0 is currently offline Click here to Send Jaden_3.0 a Private Message Find more posts by Jaden_3.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaden_3.0

Yes it will.

Good stuff.

Let's not forget the main thing about this year's Oscars.

That once again, I'm right and you bunch of loser degenerates are wrong.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2023 03:33 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I seen from Sir Roger Deakins, He thinks The Batman should've been nominated Best cinematography.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2023 03:44 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

99.9% of the time, I couldn’t give two tugs of a dead dog’s dick about the Oscars, but Brendan Fraser deserves his Best Actor award. He hit a grand slam.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Mar 13th, 2023 03:44 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Good for Brendan. Didn't see the Whale, but I'm happy for him.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2023 03:56 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Good for the Whale. Didn't see Brendan, but I'm happy for him.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2023 11:45 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Impediment
99.9% of the time, I couldn’t give two tugs of a dead dog’s dick about the Oscars, but Brendan Fraser deserves his Best Actor award. He hit a grand slam.
thumb up yeah, he did.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2023 12:08 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Top Gun was the best film of the year, but Cruise is tainted. In some ways sad because he is probably the most successful actor of all time.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2023 12:12 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

I loved Everything Everywhere All At Once, but I still did not predict it winning all of these awards. I mostly viewed it as an entertaining movie with a little heart.

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2023 01:04 PM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Jaden_3.0
Fraser won 👍

Everything Everywhere all at Once doing extremely well with Best Director, Best Actress, Supporting Actor and Actress, Editing, Original Screenplay.

Will it get Best picture though?

Fuc#in' ridiculous. That movie barely deserved a nomination, let alone so many wins. But I saw it coming.

But other than that I was pretty pleased with the outcomes. Glad Fraser won, much deserved.

Jimmy Kimmel nailed it. He was great poking fun at the slap and he even brought out the donkey. So much win there.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2023 02:24 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Was glad Fraser won best actor, he deserved it with his broken-man performance.

EEAAO wining nigh everything else I didn't care for. But I also don't care too much about the Oscars.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 13th, 2023 03:08 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaden_3.0

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Fuc#in' ridiculous. That movie barely deserved a nomination, let alone so many wins. But I saw it coming.

Kreye moare, phagutt. Lelz.

Best film of last year followed by Top Gun.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2023 03:13 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

I did enjoy seeing Short Round hugging Doctor Jones on stage.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 13th, 2023 03:15 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

All Quiet on the Western Front won some stuff so that pleased me.

It was the best picture in my opinion. At least it won Best International picture.

I just don't think EEAAO should have gotten best director AND best picture. Ridiculous. F#cking mess of a filum.

And Banshees not winning anything is ridiculous.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2023 03:43 PM