KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Was Mace's Posse Supposed to Look Stupid?

Was Mace's Posse Supposed to Look Stupid?
Started by: PVS

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Question Was Mace's Posse Supposed to Look Stupid?

you know....when they put palpatine under arrest.
they went down like idiots...and this always annoyed me
since they are supposed to be among the best as far as jedi go.

but then i remember the scene where anakin, obiwan, and palpatine
are caught in the ray shields and obiwan gets confused and asks
why the hell they were being so stupid. "wait a minute...we're smarter than this!"

so, was that why they were so shitty?
was palpatine draining their wit through the dark side?

discuss

Old Post Jun 9th, 2006 12:19 AM
Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Agen Kolar (I think that's him) was the really stupid one. He was f*ckin' looking the other way for crying out loud.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2006 12:23 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blue_Hefner

They all were stupid--for even coming.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2006 12:32 AM
Click here to Send Blue_Hefner a Private Message Find more posts by Blue_Hefner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sithsaber408
Intelligently Designed

quote: (post)
Originally posted by PVS

why the hell they were being so stupid. "wait a minute...we're smarter than this!"

discuss

If you listen to the commentary on the ROTS dvd, Lucas says that it seems stupid for them to get caught in such a simple trap (ray shileds), but if you look at the whole picture, while they saved Palpatine, they still wanted to capture Grievous.

They got to him in the easiest way, being "captured".

The whole bit with R2 zapping the droids so Obi could grab his saber was planned by the Jedi.

As for the Jedi SWAT team,.....

They just sucked.

www.impactchurch.info

Old Post Jun 9th, 2006 01:09 AM
Click here to Send sithsaber408 a Private Message Find more posts by sithsaber408 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sesse
Jedi Ghost

"
Mace Windu decides, after getting information from Anakin, that he is going to confront and arrest Chancellor Palpatine. He picks as his helpers what would appear to be three of the shabbiest Jedi he could find.

(please log in to view the image) Saesee dies immediately. He is technically ranked as a 'Master,' though you wouldn't know it the way he holds his lightsaber in the manner most would hold a vacuum cleaner, yet uses it to even less of a defensive advantage. The novelization goes into great albeit unnecessary detail about how he had two horns but one got cut off in combat but had grown back perfectly so that one could not even tell. This makes one wonder why the horn being cut off was even brought up in the first place.

(please log in to view the image) Kolar lasts a second longer than Tiin, but wields his lightsaber even less expertly. By this point, the viewer is wondering if Mace even bothered to find Jedi to accompany him to Palpatine's office, or if he just rounded up some panhandlers along the way and handed out lightsabers.

(please log in to view the image)Kit Fisto is everyone's favorite Jedi whose name sounds like a bizarre sexual fetish. We know Kit Fisto is going to put up some fight based on his major role in the Clone Wars cartoon series. However, while Fisto does great things in the cartoon fighting alongside the Mon Calamari and using his lightsaber underwater his technique in the movie seems to more closely resemble that of a frightened, blind gimp than a Jedi Master. Fisto just holds out his lightsaber with a look of total panic on his face. His notoriety from the Clone Wars series appears to only buy him a few extra seconds of screen time before finally being struck down.

It's apparent that the intent of this scene was to show how powerful Sidious is. Unfortunately, it fails for two reasons. 1.) We haven't really seen these Jedi do anything worthy of note. Aside from Kit Fisto deflecting blaster fire from battle droids in the previous movie (which, if these movies are any indicator, it seems anyone holding a lightsaber is able to do), we haven't seen him do anything outside of the cartoon series to show that he is even a subpar Jedi. Given our lack of knowledge about the inept Jedi "Masters" that Palpatine faces, he might as well be striking down his cleaning lady. 2.) The Jedi die so quickly, by such weak attacks, that they just look like a collection of fools.

If they'd already been shown as skilled swordsmen, then it would be quite shocking that Palpatine dispatched them so easily. Unfortunately, we don't know them from a hole in the wall, so Palpatine's seemingly harmless attacks make them look like unskilled circus performers.
"

I think this says it all...

Old Post Jun 9th, 2006 09:21 AM
Click here to Send Sesse a Private Message Find more posts by Sesse Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HyperDream
Oh the hugemanitee!

you can make all the excuses you want, but what i believe is that lucas was frickin running out of time and had to disperse the jedi quickly to save time in the movie for other 'more important' things. thats why i believe that ep 3 shouldve been cut into two movies, ep 2 being the first in the prequels, and ep 1 being thrown out the window like the rest of the garbage.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2006 09:32 AM
Click here to Send HyperDream a Private Message Find more posts by HyperDream Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MEDVOCK
-FISTO FAN-

quote:
Kolar lasts a second longer than Tiin, but wields his lightsaber even less expertly. By this point, the viewer is wondering if Mace even bothered to find Jedi to accompany him to Palpatine's office, or if he just rounded up some panhandlers along the way and handed out lightsabers.

Attachment: omfg! owned!.jpg
This has been downloaded 269 time(s).

Old Post Jun 9th, 2006 10:39 AM
Click here to Send MEDVOCK a Private Message Find more posts by MEDVOCK Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grate the Vraya
Disciple of Inglip

Originally posted by Tangible God
Agen Kolar (I think that's him) was the really stupid one. He was f*ckin' looking the other way for crying out loud.
In Kolar's favor, there was a really nice lamp on the desk of Palpatine's office yes stick out tongue

I got everything!

Old Post Jun 9th, 2006 01:11 PM
Click here to Send Grate the Vraya a Private Message Find more posts by Grate the Vraya Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by sithsaber408
If you listen to the commentary on the ROTS dvd, Lucas says that it seems stupid for them to get caught in such a simple trap (ray shileds), but if you look at the whole picture, while they saved Palpatine, they still wanted to capture Grievous.

They got to him in the easiest way, being "captured".

The whole bit with R2 zapping the droids so Obi could grab his saber was planned by the Jedi. or else why the dialogue?

As for the Jedi SWAT team,.....

They just sucked.

no, they did NOT get captured on purpose, or why else would we have seen obiwans "wtf???" moment. he couldnt understand why they we being so stupid, and openly questioned it.

also remember yoda sitting across from palpatine in ep 2. "the dark side clouds EVERYTHING"

obviously the sith have some form of mind manipulation on the jedi.
now, i didnt say control, i said manipulation (for any knee-jerk responders) the blatant clues are all there.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2006 01:16 PM
Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blue_Hefner

Mace was stupid for not being Anakin.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2006 02:54 PM
Click here to Send Blue_Hefner a Private Message Find more posts by Blue_Hefner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chinabing

We did this already, you're monday-morning quarterbacking.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...threadid=386176

Old Post Jun 9th, 2006 03:52 PM
Click here to Send chinabing a Private Message Find more posts by chinabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chinabing

Originally posted by chinabing
We did this already, it's all monday-morning quarterbacking.

The Jedi don't look stupid, they look overwhelmed.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2006 03:53 PM
Click here to Send chinabing a Private Message Find more posts by chinabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by chinabing
We did this already, you're monday-morning quarterbacking.

a related topic, yes. but not a dupe topic.
the thread you link simply asks "why was mace windu's posse so lame"
whereas this thread asks the question "were they intended to be lame?"
sorry to pop your balloon sad

Old Post Jun 9th, 2006 04:26 PM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

do we need to stsy so on-topic that in thread in about "why" we can't answer part of the "why" because we use the word "intention"

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Jun 9th, 2006 04:43 PM
Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Alliance
do we need to stsy so on-topic that in thread in about "why" we can't answer part of the "why" because we use the word "intention"

its a different premise. but im not going to argue this with a backseat mod.
report this thread to the mods. see what ush thinks about it.
if he feels its a dupe he will merge it, if not it will stay. isnt that convenient? now....topic?

Old Post Jun 9th, 2006 04:45 PM
Grate the Vraya
Disciple of Inglip

Originally posted by PVS
its a different premise. but im not going to argue this with a backseat mod.
report this thread to the mods. see what ush thinks about it.
if he feels its a dupe he will merge it, if not it will stay. isnt that convenient? now....topic?
haha

backseat mod

laughing out loud

I got everything!

Old Post Jun 9th, 2006 05:50 PM
Click here to Send Grate the Vraya a Private Message Find more posts by Grate the Vraya Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
systemshock2

Re: Was Mace's Posse Supposed to Look Stupid?

Originally posted by PVS

discuss

It's possible, especially regarding the ray shield scene. Here's some direct quotes from the novel right after the ray shields drop down, when Obi-Wan and Anakin argue about how they were caught so easily. You can take anything written from the ROTS novel as canon or noncanon if you'd like, at least it offers an insightful perspective on the matter.

---------------------------
"Joke some other time," Obi-wan muttered. "It's the dark side-the shadow of the force. Our instincts still can't be trusted. Don't you feel it?"

The dark side was the last thing Anakin wanted to think about rightnow. "Or, you know, it could be that knock on the head," he offered.

Obi-Wan didn't even smile. "No. All our choices keep going awry. How could they even locate us so precisely? Something is definitely wrong here. Dooku's death should have lifted the shadow-"

"If you've a taste for mysteries, Master Kenobi," Palpatine interrupted pointedly, "perhaps you could solve the mystery of how we're going to escape."
---------------------------------

Then it goes onto the rest of the scenes. Now taking Obi-Wan's thoughts about their easy capture into consideration, it's plausible to then decipher that Mace's posse was also affected by the dark side of the force, which might then explain why they were taken down so easy.

Best rivalry ever!

Old Post Jun 9th, 2006 07:56 PM
Click here to Send systemshock2 a Private Message Find more posts by systemshock2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HyperDream
Oh the hugemanitee!

were mlooking at it way to deeply. it was just a shity scene thats all.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2006 08:03 PM
Click here to Send HyperDream a Private Message Find more posts by HyperDream Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MEDVOCK
-FISTO FAN-

Well, I honestly thought Kit Fisto did great fighting alongside Mace. Notice how fluently he moves as he blocks Sidious's barrage of attacks. He even manages to slide himself between Mace and Sidious, in an attempt to gain more space in order to deliver what he thought would be the "finishing blow". Hell, he even manages to WAVE to the audience whilst fighting for his life!
Kit Fisto was one of only three Jedi to EVER duel Sidious (in saber combat), and it just so happens that this particular scene was one of the most (if not THE most) important in the ENTIRE saga! Imagine if Sidious didn't attack Kit during his twirl!
There is one thing I don't understand though, and that is how Kit Fisto somehow manages to make his way two meters to the right during his saber twirl, only to be slashed across the waist by Sids. I honeslty think there was more to this duel, and that someday in the future, when the ultimate prequal trilogy is released, we will finally be able to see the full performance, UNCUT.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2006 01:03 AM
Click here to Send MEDVOCK a Private Message Find more posts by MEDVOCK Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

you honestly convinced yourself that kit put up a good fight?

Old Post Jun 10th, 2006 01:20 AM