KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Can an atheist be spiritual?

Can an atheist be spiritual?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Atheists cannot be spiritual. 8 32.00%
Of course, atheists can be spiritual. 15 60.00%
I do not know. 2 8.00%
Total: 25 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Can an atheist be spiritual?
Started by: Shakyamunison

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Question Can an atheist be spiritual?

If you do not believe in god or anything mystical, can you be spiritual?

And if the answer is no, are you missing out on an important part of the human experience?

Old Post Mar 5th, 2007 04:07 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

I am athiest. I consider myself spiritual in a sense.

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Mar 5th, 2007 04:54 AM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Just because I don't believe in God, doesn't mean I don't believe in all the colours of the wind.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2007 05:19 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Alliance
I am athiest. I consider myself spiritual in a sense.

How does atheism have any thing to do with spiritualism?

Spiritual definition
http://209.161.33.50/dictionary/spiritual

1: of, relating to, consisting of, or affecting the spirit : incorporeal <spiritual needs>
2 a: of or relating to sacred matters <spiritual songs>
b: ecclesiastical rather than lay or temporal <spiritual authority> <lords spiritual>
3: concerned with religious values
4: related or joined in spirit <our spiritual home> <his spiritual heir>
5 a: of or relating to supernatural beings or phenomena
b: of, relating to, or involving spiritualism : spiritualistic

If you don't believe in a god, how can you believe in a spirit? It's all myth.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2007 05:29 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Tangible God
Just because I don't believe in God, doesn't mean I don't believe in all the colours of the wind.

The wind is colorless. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Mar 5th, 2007 05:30 AM
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

Well being spiritual is rather vague, even with the dicionary definition. Maybe mystical is a better way of saying what I feel, but its a sence of purpose and possible connected to other people. That is not something controled by a god, but Human controled.
or something of the like.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2007 05:42 AM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Tptmanno1
Well being spiritual is rather vague, even with the dicionary definition. Maybe mystical is a better way of saying what I feel, but its a sence of purpose and possible connected to other people. That is not something controled by a god, but Human controled.
or something of the like.

I do get what you are saying, but you can't have your cake and eat it too. If you don't believe in god, doesn't that mean you believe in science? If the answer is yes, remember science does not support mysticism.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2007 05:50 AM
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

True,
Firstly, I don't exactly believe in human connectiveness, but I do know some Athiests that believe that.
Also, I'm not sure what you call it, but what do you call questioning reality, and wondering what exactly is true and what coupld possibly be imaginary.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2007 05:53 AM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Tptmanno1
True,
Firstly, I don't exactly believe in human connectiveness, but I do know some Athiests that believe that.
Also, I'm not sure what you call it, but what do you call questioning reality, and wondering what exactly is true and what coupld possibly be imaginary.

No one knows. Even science will tell you that at it's very core is a set of assumptions.

Someone greater then I once said: "To search for God, is to create God." So, if you are an atheist and wish to be spiritual, you have to somehow create God. You don't have to call it God, maybe something like the Mystic Law, but it is still God.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2007 05:59 AM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
If you don't believe in god, doesn't that mean you believe in science?

no.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2007 06:19 AM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Alliance
no.

You ether buy into some mythology or you stick with observable reality, what other choice is there?

Old Post Mar 5th, 2007 07:14 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

You can have your God without it being the one from the strict, Earth is 6000 this summer, Christian dogmas.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2007 10:22 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sorgo X
Restricted

Account Restricted

If you're spiritual, it defeats the purpose of being atheist, one would think.

YOU ARE NOT PREPARED

Old Post Mar 5th, 2007 10:30 AM
Sorgo X is currently offline Click here to Send Sorgo X a Private Message Find more posts by Sorgo X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

The problem with answering such a question is that the term spiritual is so vague and ill-defined most of the time.

For some people, it involves a variety of very personal things like self-realization, philosophical searching, etc. For many others, it is something like a very deep and strong emotional reaction to the wonders of life. All of these and similar senses of spirituality are entirely compatible with atheism.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2007 10:45 AM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

How does atheism have any thing to do with spiritualism?

Spiritual definition
http://209.161.33.50/dictionary/spiritual

1: of, relating to, consisting of, or affecting the spirit : incorporeal <spiritual needs>
2 a: of or relating to sacred matters <spiritual songs>
b: ecclesiastical rather than lay or temporal <spiritual authority> <lords spiritual>
3: concerned with religious values
4: related or joined in spirit <our spiritual home> <his spiritual heir>
5 a: of or relating to supernatural beings or phenomena
b: of, relating to, or involving spiritualism : spiritualistic

If you don't believe in a god, how can you believe in a spirit? It's all myth.

The spirit can also refer to your mind. Also, just because one of the myths, "God", is not accepted doesn't mean you can't believe in all other sorts of wacky stuff (Goblins, Dragons, Ghosts, Jesus).

For example I would claim you and debbie are in fact atheists, though you use the term God in ways that I would say you'd be better off in a mental asylum, and probably don't see yourself as atheists (or nutjobs for that matter)

So...answer: You can be spiritual and an atheist.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2007 11:45 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sorgo X
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Storm
The problem with answering such a question is that the term spiritual is so vague and ill-defined most of the time.

For some people, it involves a variety of very personal things like self-realization, philosophical searching, etc. For many others, it is something like a very deep and strong emotional reaction to the wonders of life. All of these and similar senses of spirituality are entirely compatible with atheism.

No, it's not fair to say that spiritualism is generally compatible with Atheism, especially after your first statement, which is that the meaning of spirituality is quite expendable.

Many people believe spiritualism to be that they CONTAIN a spirit and have a connection with a higher power or that the said entity has a divine purpose. That would not collectively fit with Atheism, although other perceptions of spiritualism would.

YOU ARE NOT PREPARED

Old Post Mar 5th, 2007 12:05 PM
Sorgo X is currently offline Click here to Send Sorgo X a Private Message Find more posts by Sorgo X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
{{QS}}
Used to be quickshot

Isn't Bhuddism spiritual and Atheistic.It's gone quite well for them.

Free to wreak havoc

Old Post Mar 5th, 2007 12:17 PM
{{QS}} is currently offline Click here to Send {{QS}} a Private Message Find more posts by {{QS}} Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Boris

No, of course not, as with god, spirits do not exist.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2007 12:51 PM
Boris is currently offline Click here to Send Boris a Private Message Find more posts by Boris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LatinoStallion
Perfection

Many Christians and Muslims aren't spiritual, so likewise, why can't an Atheist be spiritual ?

Old Post Mar 5th, 2007 02:09 PM
LatinoStallion is currently offline Click here to Send LatinoStallion a Private Message Find more posts by LatinoStallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

You ether buy into some mythology or you stick with observable reality, what other choice is there?

Logic. Existentialism. General spiritualism.

You presented the choices as if:

1. People have an option to believe science
2. Science is anti- or the opposite of religion.
3. Science disproves god, which it does not.

So, i think it was a crappy statement.

Originally posted by Boris
No, of course not, as with god, spirits do not exist.

If spiritualism was about believeing in spirits, maybe you'd be correct.

Last edited by Ordo on Mar 5th, 2007 at 03:07 PM

Old Post Mar 5th, 2007 03:05 PM