KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Christianity Gone Tomorrow?

Christianity Gone Tomorrow?
Started by: PITT_HAPPENS

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

Question Christianity Gone Tomorrow?

OK, lets just say that science proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Christian god doesn’t exist, so what would happen to modern society? There are about 2 billion Christians in the world and has considerable world influence on every day life, would there be strife or violence, what are your thoughts?

No I don’t want to hear “It will never happen”, for the sake of the thread I’m purposing that it does. I know even with positive proof that many believers will still believe but in my personal opinion many would question or become Agnostic to a degree.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 02:34 PM
Da Pittman is currently offline Click here to Send Da Pittman a Private Message Find more posts by Da Pittman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

I personally think that science has for hundreds of years been able to "disprove" the Christian God of the Bible. People like to believe though, and they are indoctrinated from a young age into how they are supposed to think.

If anything, I feel science making a statement like "there is no way that a God could exist" would simply polorize the masses. Those who are supportive of science would go that way (I'm sure there would be some religious individuals that jump ship) and those who prefer religion the other.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 02:43 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Many Christian will not believe it, and go on with life as normal. There will be some that leave the church, but most people are there for other reasons. In some places there maybe violence, but it will be disorganized and condemned by the Christian community. A lot of articles will be written about how stupid science is. Someone will build a museum that shows how science got it wrong and how god is real. After some time, someone will come up with a theory on how god could be disproved and still exist. JIA will get onto this forum and make 500 threads about how god does exist and science is stupid.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 02:46 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
2D_MASTER
Restricted

Account Restricted

Who gives a shit?

Shut up! It's Daddy, you shithead! Where's my bourbon?

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 02:48 PM
2D_MASTER is currently offline Click here to Send 2D_MASTER a Private Message Find more posts by 2D_MASTER Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
JIA will get onto this forum and make 500 threads about how god does exist and science is stupid.
laughing

While I know the hard core believers like JIA will be unaffected but lets say that is half of the Christian population (which I believe if a high number) that would have over a billion people question or leave the faith. I could also see hard core Atheist jump on the attack of the religion and trying to get all traces removed, would other religions join this?

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 02:53 PM
Da Pittman is currently offline Click here to Send Da Pittman a Private Message Find more posts by Da Pittman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Its not going to happe, science never tests the supernatural.

Please close.

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 02:53 PM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

Originally posted by 2D_MASTER
Who gives a shit?
Well for one, me because I posted the question. The other would be if it did happen it could be the best or worse thing and a major event which sometimes leads to war or other world changing events. If you don’t like it why do you care?

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 02:54 PM
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

Originally posted by Alliance

Please close.
Damn Alliance I hope you're joking, confused I already stated that in the start of this post that if it could happen.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 02:56 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by PITT_HAPPENS
Damn Alliance I hope you're joking, confused I already stated that in the start of this post that if it could happen.

Ignore Alliance, he's just anal-retentive. wink

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 03:08 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

i think if it happened, alot of rich people will end up poor once their funds from their reaping the rewards of being at the top of a religion would leave them out of work, i think wars will eventually die down, although a lot of people will still belive simply because they cannot let go of the idea and there may be a few wars over in the eastern areas, a lot of suicide bombings but after the smoke has cleared humanity will be far better as a whole and it will be one thing we can push aside and dump to use the funds for something thats real,like science, development, the worlds people would be far richer.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 03:59 PM
Burning thought is currently offline Click here to Send Burning thought a Private Message Find more posts by Burning thought Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by Burning thought
i think if it happened, alot of rich people will end up poor once their funds from their reaping the rewards of being at the top of a religion would leave them out of work, i think wars will eventually die down, although a lot of people will still belive simply because they cannot let go of the idea and there may be a few wars over in the eastern areas, a lot of suicide bombings but after the smoke has cleared humanity will be far better as a whole and it will be one thing we can push aside and dump to use the funds for something thats real,like science, development, the worlds people would be far richer.

wow....

roll eyes (sarcastic)

I'm sure the vast majority of wars in human history were fought over reasons of religion...

And as soon as there aren't any books with the message "Love thy neighbour" in them around, people will certainly get along...

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 04:15 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Just because science proves there is no god does not mean that religion will go away. Religion is a natural byproduct of humanity. People will simple make new religions.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 04:21 PM
Boris

It's already pretty much happened.

They'll simply deny it and go on with their bullshit.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 04:30 PM
Boris is currently offline Click here to Send Boris a Private Message Find more posts by Boris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by inimalist
wow....

roll eyes (sarcastic)

I'm sure the vast majority of wars in human history were fought over reasons of religion...

And as soon as there aren't any books with the message "Love thy neighbour" in them around, people will certainly get along...

was this supposed ot mock me or something? i got a aggresive vibe from it

your correct though, most wars are because of religion, the ridiculous madman behind 911 were apparently doing it over religion

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 04:46 PM
Burning thought is currently offline Click here to Send Burning thought a Private Message Find more posts by Burning thought Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

your correct though, most wars are because of religion, the ridiculous madman behind 911 were apparently doing it over religion

I think he was being sarcastic.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 04:47 PM
Bardock42

Originally posted by Alliance

Please close.

...nonsense. Science tests what we think is supernatural...

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 05:09 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

I was being very sarcastic

most wars in history have been fought for nationalistic and economic reasons. Since for the majority of human history, the church has been the state, religion was always attached to nationalism.

you say 9-11, I say Palestine, Kashmir, and Chechnya, not to mention the Norther Waziristan region.

Also, if you go by numbers (and not the immediate impact on society) I would be willing to say that there are more good deeds done each day than evil ones in the name of religion. While 9-11 was a transforative moment that was fueled by religious extremism, it was only 1 event (or 4 if you REALLY want to stretch it) that had a major impact. Do you really think that there weren't 4 events of good done on that same day in the name of religion?

Is religion required for good will, no, and I would even say good will done through religion gets confused a lot between charity and theology. However, religion is a force for good in the world, and at the individual level has been shown to have very positive effects on a person.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 05:32 PM
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

there were many ancient wars as well, Crusades, most of the ancient world was full of holy wars, i doubt there are more good deeds done in the name of religion than bad, there are probably deeds that were done in the thought of good for religion that are actually bad

but if you look at history as a whole, religion, especially that which looks at our christian God or jesus as its figuirehead are full of monstrousness and constant wars, the bad would outnumber the good acts for religion 10-1 at least starting with large events like Crusades, bloody wars, Jihads as well as the rubbish in the times where people were trialed for witchcraft and thousands of innocents, children included were drowned and burned for this ridiculous faith

at least some religion is peaceful, Christianity and anything tied to the one "true" God and jesus are golden masks held over the faces of wicked and twisted men

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 06:04 PM
tsilamini

and you think that the Crusades are best understood as a conflict of religions?

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 06:08 PM
Burning thought
Restricted

Account Restricted

they are very much in the thought of religion, the problem is that most people, like now were simply using their "holy" station to control the populace and kings often used their soldiers to gain terrirtoy and area in the name of God, controlling peopel with the religion

but a lot of the crusades were in the name of religion, thats a fact, hence "holy crusade"

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 06:10 PM