KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » comics and racism...

comics and racism...
Started by: Francisco

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Francisco

comics and racism...

It's the comic industry and its fans racist or not? Why it is that when a black character gets a book everyone seems to instantly agree that the art or the writer sucks but when the character is white they love him even if the writer and the artist are the same? Why the comic industry keeps making the same mistakes over and over while expecting to have different results? Why it is that when a black writer speaks about race and discrimination he is immediatly chalked as racist but when a white does the same he becomes a hero and is prized by his effort? Why can't the fanboys tolerate a strong, intelligent black hero?

Not contentment, but more power; not peace at any price, but war; not virtue, but efficiency (virtue in the Renaissance sense, virtu, virtue free of moral acid).
The weak and the botched shall perish: first principle of our charity. And one should help them to it.
What is more harmful than any vice?--Practical sympathy for the botched and the weak--Christianity...

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 02:28 PM
Francisco is currently offline Click here to Send Francisco a Private Message Find more posts by Francisco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Molly Hayes
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: comics and racism...

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Francisco
It's the comic industry and its fans racist or not? Why it is that when a black character gets a book everyone seems to instantly agree that the art or the writer sucks but when the character is white they love him even if the writer and the artist are the same? Why the comic industry keeps making the same mistakes over and over while expecting to have different results? Why it is that when a black writer speaks about race and discrimination he is immediatly chalked as racist but when a white does the same he becomes a hero and is prized by his effort? Why can't the fanboys tolerate a strong, intelligent black hero?

You mean the present Black Panther series?

I'm young and female, but tough, I love coffee

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 02:29 PM
Molly Hayes is currently offline Click here to Send Molly Hayes a Private Message Find more posts by Molly Hayes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I dunno, personally I find that some of the Black Characters are amazingly cool.

I am mostly thinking about blacks I have to admit. Don't know many Arab or Asian heroes.

But Steel, Black Panther and Mr. Terrific (II?) seem to be some of the best coolest characters there are.

Also, Chasing Amy is a good movie.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 02:32 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Francisco

Re: Re: comics and racism...

Originally posted by Weyoun
You mean the present Black Panther series?
Amongst others.
BP is just one example of the industry's treatment of black characters and the reaction of fanboys/closet racist/nerdbiggots. As long as the character is white they would tolerate and even prize whatever nonsense the writers come up with but if the character isn't white or white looking they will whine, scream and curse no matter how good the wrting might be.

Not contentment, but more power; not peace at any price, but war; not virtue, but efficiency (virtue in the Renaissance sense, virtu, virtue free of moral acid).
The weak and the botched shall perish: first principle of our charity. And one should help them to it.
What is more harmful than any vice?--Practical sympathy for the botched and the weak--Christianity...

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 02:37 PM
Francisco is currently offline Click here to Send Francisco a Private Message Find more posts by Francisco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Originally posted by Bardock42
Also, Chasing Amy is a good movie.

Yeah, but that Hooper X character wasn't very good; he was weak and a racist.

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 02:39 PM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Yeah, but that Hooper X character wasn't very good; he was weak and a racist.
Agreed.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 02:45 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Molly Hayes
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Re: comics and racism...

Amongst others.
BP is just one example of the industry's treatment of black characters and the reaction of fanboys/closet racist/nerdbiggots. As long as the character is white they would tolerate and even prize whatever nonsense the writers come up with but if the character isn't white or white looking they will whine, scream and curse no matter how good the wrting might be.

I have no problems with the present Black Panther run, I think giving him "the ebony blade" is cheap. I didn't like Doom being turned into a Nazi specially given his heritage and why his mother went to hell. It seemed stupid. Otherwise it's fine.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 02:54 PM
Molly Hayes is currently offline Click here to Send Molly Hayes a Private Message Find more posts by Molly Hayes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

(please log in to view the image)
For reference. Here's some of the awesome awesome writing the OP is referring to. no expression

After belittling the European Latverian culture, Black Panther, while wearing a full body suit -- which doesn't allow for one to distinguish his race -- makes a comment about how the Latverians are staring at them because they're black, hypocritically forgetting that his own country is isolationist and xenophobic.
I dunno, personally I find that some of the Black Characters are amazingly cool.

I am mostly thinking about blacks I have to admit. Don't know many Arab or Asian heroes.
There aren't many and almost all of them come from X-Men, at least in Marvel. Can't think of Asian or Arab DC characters off the top of my head.
Also, Chasing Amy is a good movie. [/B]
Indeed.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 02:57 PM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Molly Hayes
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by xmarksthespot
(please log in to view the image)
For reference. Here's some of the awesome awesome writing the OP is referring to. no expression

Exactly

I have no problems with the present Black Panther run, I think giving him "the ebony blade" is cheap. I didn't like Doom being turned into a Nazi specially given his heritage and why his mother went to hell. It seemed stupid. Otherwise it's fine.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 02:59 PM
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

Apparently sarcasm is lost on you, dear.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 03:01 PM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

There aren't many and almost all of them come from X-Men, at least in Marvel. Can't think of Asian or Arab DC characters off the top of my head.
It is kinda true, thinking about it though.

There are only very few other than white races. Does J'onn J'onnz count?

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 03:02 PM
Molly Hayes
Restricted

Account Restricted

Apparently sarcasm is lost on you, dear.

Exactly, are you a girl as well?

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 03:02 PM
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

It is kinda true, thinking about it though.

There are only very few other than white races. Does J'onn J'onnz count?
He's a whole 'nother species though. Actually thought of a DC character, Batgirl is Asian.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 03:03 PM
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

Exactly, are you a girl as well?
No, probable sock.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 03:04 PM
Molly Hayes
Restricted

Account Restricted

No, probable sock.

I was sock checked last night. I am not a sock.

I am a girl who likes comics and films that's all, I can't believe the hostility on this forum.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 03:07 PM
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

I don't much care if you are a sock or not.

This thread will probably be moved.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 03:13 PM
Bardock42

He's a whole 'nother species though. Actually thought of a DC character, Batgirl is Asian.

Didn't she go evil? I stopped my Batman stuff. Bored me. Only shit runs lately.

Oh, by the way, Karate Kid is asian I believe.
I was sock checked last night. I am not a sock.

I am a girl who likes comics and films that's all, I can't believe the hostility on this forum.
If you are hot I might like you.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 03:13 PM
Fishy

Re: comics and racism...

Storm

She's pretty cool I believe, can't think of any other black people out there but I would hardly call that a side affect of racism...

Thanks TWelling4Ever

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 03:15 PM
Fishy is currently offline Click here to Send Fishy a Private Message Find more posts by Fishy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Molly Hayes
Restricted

Account Restricted

Didn't she go evil? I stopped my Batman stuff. Bored me. Only shit runs lately.

Oh, by the way, Karate Kid is asian I believe. If you are hot I might like you.

I am blonde and about 5ft 7" I play a lot of netball and tennis in the summer.

Then you have Arabian night, Falcon, Shang Chi etc. etc.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 03:16 PM
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

Didn't she go evil? I stopped my Batman stuff. Bored me. Only shit runs lately. If you are hot I might like you.
I think so. Are we only looking for heroes?

Psylocke - but she's not really asian.
Jubilee
Sunfire

Off the top of my head.

In DC, the girl Dr Light.

Leave the maybegirl alone you German swine.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2007 03:16 PM