KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Exar Kun vs. Palpatine

Exar Kun vs. Palpatine
Started by: The Merchant

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (44): « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 15 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Merchant
Dang, Nai made a beautiful rebuttal. Hmmm, Exar Kun beating ROTS Palpatine is becoming more and more likely.

Kun's already above Vitiate, so this won't be so shocking tbh.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2015 05:01 PM
Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

Suuuure you don't want a rebuttal. That's not something a devil's advocate would seek in the spirit of debate. wink

Ronan gave Thanos the finger and it took the power of an Infinity Gem to kill him. Meanwhile Loki was getting punked by Hawkeye, outwitted by BW, and generally disrespected by anyone in the film with a speaking role. Ronan was manly AF.

No kidding you were paraphrasing Loki. I'm just saying Loki was treated like a pansy; not an image you'd probably want to associate with.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2015 05:07 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EmperorSidious2
Master of Magic

How is this even here. Palatine has been stated the most powerful Sith Lord of all time by ROTS. That includes Exar Kun. Kun while powerful isn't on sidiosu level or even close. He is below. In terms of TK, lightning telepathy, all the conventional powers, Sidious is the clear winner. Kuns Sith sorcery really will boil down to simply a distraction. Sidious strength of will and knowledge of telepathy(battle meditation) and knowledge of sith sorcery will allow him to disable Kuns illusions.

As duelist Sidious is again superior. He is way more versatile than Kun, having knowledge of all seven forms. Let's be honest while I agree Kun did surpass vodo si ask bass, in their last battle isn't the only way he won was by hammering vodo into submission by breaking his quarter staff, and having to pull out duel blades or a saber staff, something no one else has experience with? Sidious has both knowledge and experience with dual blades, and knowledge fighting against and training someone in saber staff combat.

Sidious is also physically better with force augmentation. He is much faster than Kun being able to fade in and out of existence own his own speed. Able to push back the muscle tank and body builder savage oppress with one hand with ease, same with maul, also able to show his superior strength over maul in their duel.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2015 05:09 PM
Click here to Send EmperorSidious2 a Private Message Find more posts by EmperorSidious2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fated Xtasy
Kami

has anyone mentioned how the NEC states that Yoda could not defeat the most powerful Sith in history ?

just saying.

here's an attachment

Attachment: sithmmostpowahful.jpg
This has been downloaded 0 time(s).

Old Post Aug 5th, 2015 06:05 PM
Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

It almost certainly has been mentioned. It's mentioned every time Sheev is brought up against other Sith, along with a handful of other quotes.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Aug 5th, 2015 06:49 PM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Originally posted by Nai
Speed

I've already provided a "speed feat" for Kun, although I have mentioned myself, that it probably isn't the most impressive demonstration of Force speed. Yet, you might watch Ulic Qel-Droma (Exar Kun's equal in terms of lightsaber combat) in action:

When being confronted with Warb Null and five soldierst of the Naddist Cult...
(please log in to view the image)

...Ulic's reaction looks like that:

So let me point that out for you: The two brighter spots in the middle of the circle of Ulic's blade are the two missing soldiers. So Ulic hacks five soldiers to pieces in split seconds, indicated by the fact, that he manages to cut two of them down, before the weapon of his previous victim is even on its way to the ground. I'd say, that is even faster than Sidious "speed blitz", that – according to the "Revenge of the Sith"-novelization – looked like this:

"Saesee Tiin's head bounced when it hit the floor. Smoke curled from the neck, and from the twin stumps ofthe horns, severed just below the chin. Kit Fisto gasped, "Saesee!" The headless corpse, still standing, twisted as its knees buckled, and a thin sigh escaped from its trachea as it folded to the floor. "It doesn't..." Agen Kolar swayed. His emerald blade shrank away, and the handgrip tumbledfrom his opening fingers. A small, neat hole in the middle of his forehead leaked smoke, showing light from the back of his head."... hurt..." He pitched forward onto his face, and lay still." - Revenge of the Sith Novelization

Emphasis mine.
This is what happens between Sidious hitting Saesee Tiin and Agen Kolar. Kit Fisto speaks the name of his fallen comrade, the corpse does collapse, the onlookers notice the sigh escaping from the decapitated body and then Kolar is hit. Ulic kills two people before the guy he killed first can drop his weapon...

I hope it is clear enough now, why I don't see Sidious winning this.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2015 07:02 PM
Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

That guy is having a hell of an orgasm.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2015 07:43 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

I'm pretty sure that's Jesus...

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Aug 5th, 2015 07:59 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
So Exar Kun is the "most powerful and dangerous of all Sith Lords". And even if you want to believe the argument put forth, that the "most powerful" has been "retconned" – that is certainly not the case, when it comes to the "most dangerous" part of the quote. And there is more than enough reason to assume, that this is a rather accurate description.

I just saw that under the picture that also stated Nadd existed 1,000 years before Kun. Lol

There'll be a golden ladder reaching down.
When the man comes around.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2015 08:07 PM
Click here to Send psmith81992 a Private Message Find more posts by psmith81992 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nai
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally posted by The_Tempest
Suuuure you don't want a rebuttal. That's not something a devil's advocate would seek in the spirit of debate. wink

Pardon me. You accused me of wanting to bait a rebuttal out of you, to which I replied, that I don't care if you reply or not. And I don't. I also don't care if anybody else replies, although that would be "appreciated". wink

quote:

Ronan gave Thanos the finger and it took the power of an Infinity Gem to kill him. Meanwhile Loki was getting punked by Hawkeye, outwitted by BW, and generally disrespected by anyone in the film with a speaking role. Ronan was manly AF.

As I said: Loki was confronted with opponents superior to himself in certain regards, that he didn't expect (and respect) because of his arrogance. Ronan's final moments were stupidity distilled. He is about to wipe out all live on the planet, archieving all he wanted and then stops because somebody dances. Seriously? And after all: Loki ended up as King of Asgard, while Ronan was blown to pieces.

quote:

No kidding you were paraphrasing Loki. I'm just saying Loki was treated like a pansy; not an image you'd probably want to associate with.

I'm in great fear for my image and my masculinity in general. roll eyes (sarcastic) MCU Loki still has more fangirls than Sidious. wink

@EmperorSidious2:

Good god. How about at least pretending to do some spell-checking before hitting the reply button?

Originally posted by EmperorSidious2
How is this even here. Palatine has been stated the most powerful Sith Lord of all time by ROTS.That includes Exar Kun.

That has been stated by characters within the story, that could be wrong. So?

quote:

Kun while powerful isn't on sidiosu level or even close. He is below. In terms of TK, lightning telepathy, all the conventional powers, Sidious is the clear winner. Kuns Sith sorcery really will boil down to simply a distraction. Sidious strength of will and knowledge of telepathy(battle meditation) and knowledge of sith sorcery will allow him to disable Kuns illusions.

Kun's Sith magic has nothing to do with illusions. How about reading the stuff you want to reply to before hitting the reply button?

quote:

As duelist Sidious is again superior. He is way more versatile than Kun, having knowledge of all seven forms. Let's be honest while I agree Kun did surpass vodo si ask bass, in their last battle isn't the only way he won was by hammering vodo into submission by breaking his quarter staff, and having to pull out duel blades or a saber staff, something no one else has experience with? Sidious has both knowledge and experience with dual blades, and knowledge fighting against and training someone in saber staff combat.

Again: How about reading the stuff you reply to, before hitting the reply button. Kun's unique style is fundamentally different from the usual handling of the weapon. And his weapon itself is also unique, being a single-hilt design with adjustable blade length / density.

quote:

Sidious is also physically better with force augmentation. He is much faster than Kun being able to fade in and out of existence own his own speed. Able to push back the muscle tank and body builder savage oppress with one hand with ease, same with maul, also able to show his superior strength over maul in their duel.

Again: How about reading the stuff you reply to, before hitting the reply button. The speed of Sidious is not uncommon for force users, which I've already proven. In fact, it is apparently beaten by Ulic, who is Kun's equal. And the same Ulic can't be contained by a being capable of lifting five humans and a rather huge metal pieces from the ground with one hand.

I also love the description of Opress as a "body builder"...

"Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?"

Old Post Aug 5th, 2015 08:22 PM
Click here to Send Nai a Private Message Find more posts by Nai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The_Tempest

Originally posted by Nai
Pardon me. You accused me of wanting to bait a rebuttal out of you, to which I replied, that I don't care if you reply or not. And I don't. I also don't care if anybody else replies, although that would be "appreciated". wink

Originally posted by Nai
As I said: Loki was confronted with opponents superior to himself in certain regards, that he didn't expect (and respect) because of his arrogance. Ronan's final moments were stupidity distilled. He is about to wipe out all live on the planet, archieving all he wanted and then stops because somebody dances. Seriously? And after all: Loki ended up as King of Asgard, while Ronan was blown to pieces.

I think you fail to appreciate the hypnotic effect of these sweet-ass dance moves.

Ronan was close to his victory, yeah, and had no real reason to believe these assclowns could stop him. Not to mention the fact that a perpetually grim warlord might very well be legitimately surprised by such irreverent behavior in the heat of battle.

Loki was just embarrassing in TA, honestly. Loved him in Thor, tho.

Originally posted by Nai
I'm in great fear for my image and my masculinity in general. roll eyes (sarcastic) MCU Loki still has more fangirls than Sidious. wink

Pfft. Sheev being a great slayer of intergalactic snatch is well-established in the lore.

Besides which, this is him preparing to sodomize Michael Fassbender. Yeah, that's right, goddamn Magneto takes it in the butt from the Emperor.

#pimp

Old Post Aug 5th, 2015 09:49 PM
EmperorSidious2
Master of Magic

Originally posted by Nai

@EmperorSidious2:

Good god. How about at least pretending to do some spell-checking before hitting the reply button?

That has been stated by characters within the story, that could be wrong. So?

Fair enough for now.

Kun's Sith magic has nothing to do with illusions. How about reading the stuff you want to reply to before hitting the reply button?

Or how about you calm down and just look at it. Sith Magic, illusions, etc all fall into that single category and it's just easier to lablet it that way.

Again: How about reading the stuff you reply to, before hitting the reply button. Kun's unique style is fundamentally different from the usual handling of the weapon. And his weapon itself is also unique, being a single-hilt design with adjustable blade length / density.

So you honestly think that me going back and reading something that everyone knows about is going to change anything. I already know Kun has a unique way of using his style with a unique weapon to him and how he uses it. I'm telling you that it really won't help him against Sidious. Sidious whether conventional or not cancels out his way of fighting with his versatility and experience. His weapon while unique won't come as much as a surprise to Sidious as you think as while he can adjust the blade setting with a flip of a switch, however that isn't really going to help him against Sidious. When Kun created the blade it was unique for that error. The entire idea of a double bladed saber or even jar Kai was in a way foreign. With Sidious it's the same as breathing. He's most likely the greatest jar Kai duelist of all time possibly. So really the only thing that could take Sidious off guard would be him being able to change the settings whenever however that won't save Kun. It might help but won't win.

Again: How about reading the stuff you reply to, before hitting the reply button. The speed of Sidious is not uncommon for force users, which I've already proven. In fact, it is apparently beaten by Ulic, who is Kun's equal. And the same Ulic can't be contained by a being capable of lifting five humans and a rather huge metal pieces from the ground with one hand.

You do understand Sidious is not a normal force weilder. He is the most powerful dark sider(besides the ones, spirits etc) to exist. Really that idea just doesn't hold water. Sidious power in the force is greater than ulics so with that Sidious speed would be greater. Also sidiosu strength would also be greater as he was able to once again push savage and maul of him with one hand with little effort, and push maul back with his own strength.

I also love the description of Opress as a "body builder"...

I knew you would. laughing out loud

Old Post Aug 5th, 2015 11:33 PM
Click here to Send EmperorSidious2 a Private Message Find more posts by EmperorSidious2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sinious
Yo Da Best

@ Tempest

I always felt like not enough people are realizing what a failure Loki is in the Avengers. So I can't agree more on that Ronan/Loki comparison. thumb up

"That is why you fail."

Old Post Aug 6th, 2015 12:23 AM
Click here to Send Sinious a Private Message Find more posts by Sinious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

You don't get to speak of the MCU until you've seen Age of Ultron (please log in to view the image)

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Aug 6th, 2015 12:55 AM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Just saw that yesterday. Pretty solid film. Ultron was a better character than a powerful villain though imo

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Aug 6th, 2015 12:58 AM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sinious
Yo Da Best

Originally posted by Emperordmb
You don't get to speak of the MCU until you've seen Age of Ultron (please log in to view the image)

I'm waiting for the dvd release god damn it. miffed

Originally posted by carthage
Just saw that yesterday. Pretty solid film. Ultron was a better character than a powerful villain though imo

How/where did you see it yesterday? confused

"That is why you fail."

Old Post Aug 6th, 2015 01:01 AM
Click here to Send Sinious a Private Message Find more posts by Sinious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Check your pm for my [SPOILER - highlight to read]: nudes/ **** I mean the link

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Aug 6th, 2015 01:05 AM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sinious
Yo Da Best

Your [SPOILER - highlight to read]: nudes would mean much more to me. bunny

"That is why you fail."

Old Post Aug 6th, 2015 01:15 AM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Nai
My dear Darth Thor.
I was rather certain that, giving we were discussing combat here, it was pretty clear, that, when I was talking "Sith skills", I was talking about those that come in handy in direct confrontation. Yet, you use the better part of your posting to demonstrate, that Maul was also capable of manipulation. Nice thing. Doesn't help him in combat and is, therefor, entirely irrelevant to our debate. So I left the parts in question out. Which first leads me there:

Since Sidious' training is all that Maul knew it is pretty clear, that he couldn't have used anything else to archive his goals. However. He, thus far, just demonstrated his combat related skills, some telekinesis and manipulation. None of that even remotely on a level to "rival" Sidious. And in that regard, you left the deciding sentence out, which I have introduced to the debate earlier:

"Remember the first and only reality of the Sith. There can only be two. And you are no longer my apprentice. You have been replaced." - Sidious in TCW "The Lawless".

The reason for Sidious to label him "rival" is, that Maul doesn't longer belong to the usual master - apprentice duo that form the Sith Order. The action of seperating himself from his masters command, having been replaced, and training an apprentice for himself (his brother) are enough reasons for Sidious to remove him from the picture.

None of that suggest that Maul was ever trained as a "real Sith Lord" by Sidious. With "all types of Sith ways" Filoni is clearly referring to manipulation ("not the least of which...") and not advanced force techniques. Which is entirely irrelevant anyway, since Filoni's words aren't canon.

Maul's combat prowess was never in question. His ability to use the Force was. None of the two Jedi masters have attacked him directly with the Force. Assant used it for building a trap that almost killed Maul, Kenobi used it in an unorthodox fashion in order to defeat him. As we have seen, Sidious can simply own him at will with any kind of force attack, while he is incapable of doing the same while in combat with more powerful Force users (Mace, Yoda).

Force Lightning and the ability to deflect it would be a start, yes. Because Sidious himself labeled that an ability reserved for advanced Sith studends / Sith Lords:

"Those who follow the dark side may learn to release pure energy from their fingertips This Force lightning can be directed at a target and cause great pain as it siphons off the living energy and eventually kills its victim. Knowledge of this power has long been limited to the Sith Lords. No, you are not prepared for any more information at this time. - Darth Sidious as Holocron Gatekeeper, Jedi vs. Sith - The Essential Guide to the Force, p.176

Emphasis mine. Apparently, Maul was one of the individuals "not prepared" for learning the ability.

Yes. I've cited it already, multiple times in fact:

"I too him [Darth Maul] from his homeworld, Iridonia, and raised him as I would construct the perfect weapon. I trained him in numerous exotic and forbidden martial arts, disciplined him constantly, and personally applied the Sith tattoos that were evidence of his complete dedication to the dark side.[...]Maul completed his basic training several years before the Battle of Naboo, and served me well as an assassin and extension of my will. Als loyal as he was, I made no effort to caution him when I foresaw his death in a duel with the Jedi on Naboo[...]Ultimately, Maul was nothing more than a tool[...]" - Darth Sidious, Star Wars: Jedi vs. Sith - The Essential Guide to the Force, p.169

Emphasis mine.
Sidious did train Maul as a weapon. He makes no notice of having trained his apprentice in Sith ways (especially advanced force techniques) but just talks about martial arts. Furthermore he states that Maul had just completed his basic training some years before his death and calls him a "tool".

Nothing of that does much to contradict the idea that Maul was no "real Sith Lord".

Nope. I'm still trying to put things into perspective.
Maul just fought Jedi (and people that weren't force sensitives) in a sucessful fashion. Once confronted with a powerful Dark Side adversary, he gets owned. Much like he would get owned by anybody capable of willing to use force attacks against him.

Following that line of thought, Sidious ability to defeat him with force attacks is certainly less impressive than some people would like it to be. That's all.

Well I hope we can at least agree that Maul was trained in being a Scheming Mastermind as well as a Combatant as that's made pretty clear:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/darth-maul

A deadly, agile Sith Lord trained by the evil Darth Sidious, Darth Maul was a formidable warrior and scheming mastermind. He wielded an intimidating double-bladed lightsaber and fought with a menacing ferocity.

So already we know he was trained as more than just a combatant.

Also notice how both the Official Site and the New Ultimate Guide refers to him as a "Sith Lord." So I'm still a little confused in your difference between a Sith Lord and a "Real" or "Proper" Sith Lord.

New Ultimate Guide:

"One of the deadliest, most efficiently trained Sith in the Order's history, Darth Maul's tattooed face is as symbolic of his utter devotion to the dark side, as it is marking his hatred of the Jedi."

As for his higher level Force Powers. I'll point out again he was younger than Padawan Kenobi in TPM, so I'm not sure how far you expected his training to have gone into the higher levels by that stage. Whilst with someone like Count Dooku (or even Darth Vader) who converted to the Dark Side after already being more than adept in the Jedi Arts, had nothing more to learn from Sidious BUT higher level Dark Side skills/techniques.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Aug 6th, 2015 at 10:48 AM

Old Post Aug 6th, 2015 10:46 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by carthage

Meh Ultron was ok. I didn't appreciate them using Spader's Reddington character. Keep that shit to the Blacklist.

There'll be a golden ladder reaching down.
When the man comes around.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2015 11:20 AM
Click here to Send psmith81992 a Private Message Find more posts by psmith81992 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote