KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Why is the theory of evolution considered a threat by certain Christians?

Why is the theory of evolution considered a threat by certain Christians?
Started by: Bashar Teg

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (16): « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Genesis-Soldier
god blessed him with a...

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bardock42
We also need people to have basic scientific understanding including one of the most well proven Biological theories, in order for society to flourish.

The same reason to discount evolution can apply to anything.

very true

i myself believe in the theory as i find in todays societies we turn to science to have the answers since religion does not always

Old Post Oct 6th, 2015 11:58 AM
Genesis-Soldier is currently offline Click here to Send Genesis-Soldier a Private Message Find more posts by Genesis-Soldier Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

If you ever plan on getting a job in a biology related field, having knowledge of evolution is definitely useful to have.

Fighting diseases, understanding parasites and how the immune system reacts, a lot of that is informed by our knowledge of evolution.

Actually studying animals and such, discovering new ones, and understanding their classifications, likewise.

A nation with schools that did not teach evolution would fall behind in some very major fields. That's just practical terms.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2015 12:35 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Q99
There's belief that things can be tested and based on evidence at all.

If you don't have that, well, then you can arbitrarily believe in anything.

But once you've gotten that step, you can go expecting and wanting something to be totally wrong and finding it right, you can go in expecting and wanting something to be right and finding it false, and the tests, the *evidence*, doesn't care what your beliefs are going in as long as you actually do the tests.

Only ignorant extremists are certain of things they can't possibly know.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Oct 6th, 2015 01:03 PM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by psmith81992
It's amusing that your own answers or lack thereof makes you gravitate towards the idea that god is a myth.

You seem to think that I don't believe in God because I lack answers to what are some very basic questions.

But I don't believe simply because it has never been proven. That is the definition of a myth. If there was a clear answer in the bible as to why God made us curious by nature but also demands faith..it wouldn't suddenly make me think God is real. God is in the exact same category as people like Zeus or Poseidon.

You behave as if his existence is fact and yet for that to be the case we'd need concrete evidence. I don't think even the most loyal religious person would think we have anything that qualifies as scientific evidence for the existence of God. The best I've seen people come up with is "the universe is like..totally unique and special, how could this not be done on purpose?"

Last edited by Surtur on Oct 6th, 2015 at 03:16 PM

Old Post Oct 6th, 2015 03:12 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
You seem to think that I don't believe in God because I lack answers to what are some very basic questions.

The questions and answers aren't basic. I think you already don't believe in God and then choose to justify it by having ridiculously simplistic answers to said questions.

quote:
But I don't believe simply because it has never been proven. That is the definition of a myth.

Oh sure it has, just certain events that were deemed God are now called science (not that I'm refuting science). The giving of the Torah that was witnessed not just by Jews, but by all other people, etc. You're simply saying "I wasn't there or it was too long ago for any kind of proof, therefore it's a myth."

Btw, here are the definitions for myth, none of which are applicable here:

quote:
myth
miTH/Submit
noun
a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events.
synonyms: folk tale, folk story, legend, tale, story, fable, saga, mythos, lore, folklore, mythology
"ancient Greek myths"
a widely held but false belief or idea.

quote:
You behave as if his existence is fact and yet for that to be the case we'd need concrete evidence.

No, I behave as though I believe in his existence, and neither his existence nor lack thereof has been proven on any level, so when you spout words like "myth", you come off as ignorant.

There'll be a golden ladder reaching down.
When the man comes around.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2015 03:25 PM
psmith81992 is currently offline Click here to Send psmith81992 a Private Message Find more posts by psmith81992 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

The giving of the Torah that was witnessed not just by Jews, but by all other people, etc. You're simply saying "I wasn't there or it was too long ago for any kind of proof, therefore it's a myth."

Just wondering, do we actually have any primary sources of the Torah being given to Jews outside of the Torah?

Old Post Oct 6th, 2015 03:36 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

"Myth n 1.
(Classical Myth & Legend) a. a story about superhuman beings of an earlier age taken by preliterate society to be a true account, usually of how natural phenomena, social customs, etc, came into existence b. another word for mythology 1 , mythology 3
A person or thing whose existence is fictional or unproven
(Literary & Literary Critical Terms) (in modern literature) a theme or character type embodying an idea: Hemingway's myth of the male hero.
(Philosophy) philosophy (esp in the writings of Plato) an allegory or parable"

So, the story of god as we know it is, by definition, a myth.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Last edited by Adam Grimes on Oct 6th, 2015 at 03:49 PM

Old Post Oct 6th, 2015 03:44 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Star428
Restricted

Account Restricted

Biggest myth of all-time: Apes turning into humans. Only an idiot would believe that nonsense. thumb up

Most people believe Evolution not because they themselves are dumb, but cause they trust the "experts" who are feeding them evolutionary fast food, and so they don't bother questioning whether or not it's true.

Last edited by Star428 on Oct 6th, 2015 at 04:28 PM

Old Post Oct 6th, 2015 04:24 PM
Star428 is currently offline Click here to Send Star428 a Private Message Find more posts by Star428 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

since you're still here

Originally posted by Bashar Teg

what threat would a universal acceptance of evolution pose for christianity, and how do you feel it goes against the teachings/ethics/morality of the new testament?

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2015 05:05 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Originally posted by Star428
Biggest myth of all-time: Apes turning into humans. Only an idiot would believe that nonsense. thumb up

Originally posted by Trocity
(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Oct 6th, 2015 05:25 PM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

You sound an awful lot like those hipsters atheists you hate so much. thumb down

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Oct 6th, 2015 05:59 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

Just wondering, do we actually have any primary sources of the Torah being given to Jews outside of the Torah?

Both Christianity and Islam acknowledge the Mt. Sinai event.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2015 07:27 PM
psmith81992 is currently offline Click here to Send psmith81992 a Private Message Find more posts by psmith81992 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Both Christianity and Islam acknowledge the Mt. Sinai event.

Well, yeah, but you see how that's not really a very good source, right? Since they are basically off-shoots of Judaism. Are there any not biased, and particularly primary sources that acknowledge that event? Because as far as I can tell both Christianity and Islam have come many hundred years later and really just use the same source and say it's true.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2015 07:29 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well, yeah, but you see how that's not really a very good source, right? Since they are basically off-shoots of Judaism. Are there any not biased, and particularly primary sources that acknowledge that event? Because as far as I can tell both Christianity and Islam have come many hundred years later and really just use the same source and say it's true.

I don't know, I'll google it.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2015 07:46 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Oh sure it has, just certain events that were deemed God are now called science (not that I'm refuting science). The giving of the Torah that was witnessed not just by Jews, but by all other people, etc. You're simply saying "I wasn't there or it was too long ago for any kind of proof, therefore it's a myth."

None of what you just said proved the existence of God. I'm not saying this because I wasn't there, I'm saying this because there isn't any actual proof. Now..might there of been some historical truth to some of the stuff mentioned in the bible? Sure, but that doesn't mean it shows God existed.

quote:
No, I behave as though I believe in his existence, and neither his existence nor lack thereof has been proven on any level, so when you spout words like "myth", you come off as ignorant.

If you want to make the claim something is real you need proof.

You literally just said "oh sure it has" in response to me saying God hasn't been proven. You then label me as ignorant without the slightest hint of irony.

Last edited by Surtur on Oct 6th, 2015 at 08:38 PM

Old Post Oct 6th, 2015 08:36 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
None of what you just said proved the existence of God. I'm not saying this because I wasn't there, I'm saying this because there isn't any actual proof. Now..might there of been some historical truth to some of the stuff mentioned in the bible? Sure, but that doesn't mean it shows God existed.

It doesn't mean God is a myth either, which is precisely my point.

quote:
If you want to make the claim something is real you need proof.

I'm not trying to convince you God is real, but you're trying to convince people he is a myth, so the burden of proof really lies on you.

quote:
You literally just said "oh sure it has" in response to me saying God hasn't been proven. You then label me as ignorant without the slightest hint of irony.

Yes, the irony is I responded with the exact way you've been responding except you feel your post has somehow more merit.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2015 09:57 PM
Genesis-Soldier

not sure if you are serious right now or not,
so why do YOU believe it is a lie then in comparison to more proof being in favor of Darwin's theory of evolution

Old Post Oct 6th, 2015 11:32 PM
Genesis-Soldier is currently offline Click here to Send Genesis-Soldier a Private Message Find more posts by Genesis-Soldier Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tattoos N Scars
Modern Day Drifter

Evolution is not fact based. Where are the intermediate species in the fossil record? No missing links have been found to my knowledge. Evolution is just a theory. I see no evidence of macroevolution happening today.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2015 12:05 AM
Tattoos N Scars is currently offline Click here to Send Tattoos N Scars a Private Message Find more posts by Tattoos N Scars Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Genesis-Soldier

yes but it has more concrete evidence pointing in its direction. i am not saying its absolute but it is closer to answering things then the religions i know and follow

Old Post Oct 7th, 2015 12:12 AM
Star428
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm not going to keep arguing the same shit over and over with you atheistic fools because it's pointless. You just keep repeating the same shit over and over without showing a shred of proof to back up your ridiculous claims. Evolution is nothing but a "scientific" (LOL) theory. Nothing else. The entire theory of evolution is based on nothing but unfounded and unwarranted assumptions because scientists who support it are horrified at the alternative to evolution theory. I suggest you check out a book by Stephen A Khoch called "The Assumptions Behind the Theory of Evolution". It will open your eyes. You can pick it up on Amazon but it's a bit pricey. If you don't have the money then you can download an abridged version for free. Just do a google search for it. The guy isn't a scientist but he doesn't use the Bible either in his arguments. He's totally unbiased.

And, do you really think a God would lower Himself to have offspring with the offspring of an ape? Even if she was a true virgin (as Mary was)?Anyone who believes such nonsense might as well be spitting in His face. That's how much of an insult it is to Him. Sorry,but no, I will never believe that no matter what ANY of you or ANY "scientist" says. Mary was a descendant of Adam and Eve not some animal. thumb up

Most people believe Evolution not because they themselves are dumb, but cause they trust the "experts" who are feeding them evolutionary fast food, and so they don't bother questioning whether or not it's true.

Last edited by Star428 on Oct 7th, 2015 at 12:22 AM

Old Post Oct 7th, 2015 12:18 AM
Star428 is currently offline Click here to Send Star428 a Private Message Find more posts by Star428 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote