KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » It's time to remake the originals

It's time to remake the originals
Started by: realmanager

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Quiero Mota

Re: It's time to remake the originals

Films from the 60's and 70's get remade all the time, so why should Star Wars be any different? Just because it has a really devout following?

I always wondered why Yoda and the Emperor didn't have lightsabers in the first movies, but in the new ones they did. Yoda, because he basically retired from the business? Did the Emperor have it concealed but felt confident enough that he didn't need to draw it?

And I was told a while back that in Jedi, the movie was supposed to end on the Wookiee planet, but then Lucas changed it to that planet of teddy bears. It would have been a lot more entertaining and believable to see 8 foot wookiees putting a hurtin on the Empire.

Old Post May 13th, 2010 08:16 PM
Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Not all films get remade, it's not a necessity and it's not always an improvement either. It is a classic, why remake it if all you can do is ruin it.

Unnecessary remakes without any addition or improvement:
Dr. Zhivago
The Shining
Psycho
Flight of the Phoenix.

Old, hugely succesfull films that have NEVER been remade:
Gone with the Wind (1939)
Wizard of Oz (1939)
Rebel without a Cause (50's)
Bullitt (60s)
Godfather (early seventies)
Star Wars

And let's face it. Chances remakes can equal or improve on these films or their status are extremely slim. Chances to ruin their legendary status: huge!

So why bother?

Old Post May 14th, 2010 02:17 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

quote: (post)
Originally posted by queeq
Not all films get remade, it's not a necessity and it's not always an improvement either. It is a classic, why remake it if all you can do is ruin it.

Dr. Zhivago
The Shining
Psycho
Flight of the Phoenix.

Wizard of Oz (1939)
Bullitt (60s)
Star Wars

And let's face it. Chances remakes can equal or improve on these films or their status are extremely slim. Chances to ruin their legendary status: huge!

So why bother?

I respectfully disagree on Flight of the Phoenix, I enjoyed the remake as much as I liked the original. Same movie, different time.

Old Post May 14th, 2010 03:33 PM
Click here to Send sweersa a Private Message Find more posts by sweersa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

It didn't add anything... and it kinda fell apart toward the end. All I could wonder is: WHY? Why did you remake this when you bring nothing new to the table... and actually make it a bit less exciting.

Old Post May 14th, 2010 06:35 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

It didn't add anything... and it kinda fell apart toward the end. All I could wonder is: WHY? Why did you remake this when you bring nothing new to the table... and actually make it a bit less exciting.

I thought the NASA cover was a worthy addition.

Old Post May 14th, 2010 08:34 PM
Click here to Send sweersa a Private Message Find more posts by sweersa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

Dr. Zhivago
The Shining
Psycho
Flight of the Phoenix.

Wizard of Oz (1939)
Bullitt (60s)
Star Wars

So why bother?

I actually thought that Vince Vaughn did a good Norman Bates. I also think that Anthony Hopkins did a better Hannibal Lecter than Brian Cox, the original. That's why his Hannibal got all those sequels.

Also, remakes that are decades apart see a huge improvement in cinematography. All Quiet on the Western Front was first filmed in the 30's and then remade in the 70's; and it was a huge improvement (it was in color, for one). So why not Star Wars? Here we are, over 30 years removed. Instead of the "Special" Edition, Lucas should have just remade them entirely with new people and everything. All the computerized special effects should have been saved for the new films. Such as inserting Jabba in the first Star Wars or replacing Boba Fett's original voice with that guy who played Jango in the new ones. See, he could have avoided tainting the originals by just waiting another ten years. The bloody arm of that alien in the bar, the terrible movements of Obiwan and Vader, Luke obviously yelling "Carrie" at the end...all of that could be taken care of in a remake of the trilogy.

And a minor thing that always bothered me was that the first films lacked good color. Know what I'm saying? Whether on ships or on the planets, the backgrounds/settings were mostly black and white, or a dull gray. The inside of the Death Star and Yoda's swamp planet are basically the same color everywhere you look.

Old Post May 15th, 2010 06:07 AM
Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I was saying these remakes didn't add much. Vaugh did a good Bates, but not better than in the original. Silence of the Lambs is not a remake of Manhunter, nor is Hannibal. Only the third installment (Red Dragon) is a remake of Manhunter. And the latter is way way better as a movie.

And why not SW? Well, the PT has demonstrated that despite all technology Lucas is not able to make better films. Plus now he is almighty and he doesn't seem to allow nay sayers in his direct surroundings, as he did in the 70s. So since there is little chance remakes of ANH, ESB and ROTJ will be an improvement: why bother. And also: why stain the classic status of the OT, something the PT has not attained and will never attain.

Old Post May 16th, 2010 05:51 PM
Quiero Mota

When Lucas dies, I guaruntee the first films will get remade. Somebody will do it.

Old Post May 17th, 2010 07:12 AM
queeq
Chaos

Not so sure.

Old Post May 17th, 2010 09:32 AM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Perkins' Bates beats the living piss out of Vaughns', interferes with the body and puts a wig on it and puts it in a chair overlooking the car lot.

Im with Queeq almost word for word here.
Remake menatility is just a cynical cash making scheme in the face of no new ideas and they often completely destroy what made the original great.

If they remake Star Wars with todays characterless, charisma-challenged yet very modelesque looking like f***tards playing the roles, then I'll be done with products from the American film industry for good.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on May 22nd, 2010 at 01:18 PM

Old Post May 22nd, 2010 01:14 PM
Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

There ya go.

Old Post May 22nd, 2010 02:04 PM
InfernoJG95
darth inferno

Actaully it's the PT that needs the remake

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2010 09:43 PM
Click here to Send InfernoJG95 a Private Message Find more posts by InfernoJG95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

Originally posted by realmanager
This article is not mine, but whatever, I agree all of it
blogs.starwars.com/wanna_besrambles/2

1. The dialogue between Obi Wan and Vader in New Hope doesn't work anymore when placed alongside the dialogue in Revenge. And talk about a terrible fight scene. That scene at least needs to be redone. You can't blame age for Obi Wan being so slow, look at Palpatine and Yoda in the newer movies, come on I want to see Obi Wan jumping around and force pushing Vader. I went home and watched IV after I saw Revenge, and I still love that movie but the fight is such a let down now. That in itself is reason enough to remake the movies.

2. I get why C-3PO doesn't remember anything from the newer trilogy, he gets a mind wipe (and probably needs one poor guy), but does Obi get one too? Why doesn't he recognize C-3PO and R2? He should explain to Luke how they once belonged to his parents. And he shold deffinately recognize R2! He should see him and say something like, "so the time has come." or something.

3. I can't let go of the Leia remembering her real mother thing. George, you're going to have to explain this one to me yourself before I'll buy an explanation.

4. I'm not so concerned about the special effects, although I would like to see the first Death Star battle redone (again) to be a little more spectacular. Oh ,and the escape from the Death Star in IV too. Oh and blasting off from Tatooine could be a little more spectacular. See, just redo the whole thing.

I have answers for all your points.
1. the dialog in both fight scenes (III & IV) make total sense. and Yoda and the emperor are more powerful than obiwan and this is why they can jump all around. and where ben and vader were fighting there wasn't alot of room to jump around anyway.

2. why would ben say anything about the droids it wouldn't serve any purpose Luke had to chose his own path and do what he felt was right if ben said anything it would influence lukes descion. there are thousands of them and they can look the same. at any rate i feel as if ben did recognize the droids especially once he saw Leias message and how he looked at R2.

3. Daughters have a stronger conection with their Mothers and with the force and all it's more amplified IMO.

4. they did redo the effects that you mentioned there. and they are all fine. the only thing that should be changed would be the super star destroyer hitting the death star 2.

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2010 09:27 PM
Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I sense the presence of a PT lover...

No bond between mother and daughter can explain a newborn baby remembering her mother... that is the ultimate of BS.

Old Post Sep 4th, 2010 04:07 PM
darthmaul1

I sense the presence of a PT lover...

No bond between mother and daughter can explain a newborn baby remembering her mother... that is the ultimate of BS.

Mmmm strong with the force you are!
If you if corporate the force then it's not bs.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2010 03:44 PM
Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
InfernoJG95
darth inferno

Maybe her real mother the queen died when she was little. When aldaaren was destroyed no mention of her mother is made but her father is mentioned

Old Post Sep 5th, 2010 10:05 PM
Click here to Send InfernoJG95 a Private Message Find more posts by InfernoJG95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mossman

Originally posted by realmanager

1. The dialogue between Obi Wan and Vader in New Hope doesn't work anymore when placed alongside the dialogue in Revenge.

You need to explain "how" it doesn't work.

quote:
And talk about a terrible fight scene. That scene at least needs to be redone.

No, it is not a terrible fight scene. Star Wars - ie: A New Hope - was/is incredibly popular/successful. I don't remember anyone complaining about this scene before.

quote:
You can't blame age for Obi Wan being so slow, look at Palpatine and Yoda in the newer movies, come on I want to see Obi Wan jumping around and force pushing Vader. I went home and watched IV after I saw Revenge, and I still love that movie but the fight is such a let down now. That in itself is reason enough to remake the movies.

I don't get that at all - if you care about the characters at all, how can can you possibly be disappointed by what happens in that confrontation?
Even after ROTS, surely that can only add to the emotional impact of that scene, which is the important thing.

quote:
2. I get why C-3PO doesn't remember anything from the newer trilogy, he gets a mind wipe (and probably needs one poor guy), but does Obi get one too? Why doesn't he recognize C-3PO and R2?

Why do you think he doesn't?

quote:
He should explain to Luke how they once belonged to his parents.

NO HE SHOULDN'T! - watch what happens in TESB and ROTJ again

quote:
And he shold deffinately recognize R2! He should see him and say something like, "so the time has come." or something.

No, trust me, he shouldn't/wouldn't say that.

quote:
3. I can't let go of the Leia remembering her real mother thing. George, you're going to have to explain this one to me yourself before I'll buy an explanation.

Luke. Cloud City. Never been there. Then Yoda explains why he is aware of it.

quote:
4. I'm not so concerned about the special effects, although I would like to see the first Death Star battle redone (again) to be a little more spectacular.

You mean the award-winning special effects?
What are we going to do, what is the goal? Erase history completely?
Star Wars is a piece of history. It should remain that way, it and it's effects, is/are of its time.
Rebuilding the pyramids because we can build them "better" does not mean it should be done.
They exist, and people want to see them, because they are a testament to the time in which they were created.

quote:
Oh ,and the escape from the Death Star in IV too. Oh and blasting off from Tatooine could be a little more spectacular. See, just redo the whole thing.

I'd rather filmmakers, if they have such great ideas, just create something completely original, from scratch, rather than recraft somebody else's idea.
There is no reason Lucas should remake his Star Wars films any more - he has already tinkered with them more than I would like to see.

quote:
I figure the originals will eventually be remade. You can wait ten years and then use Ewan as Obi Wan again.

I very much doubt it...

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy...

Old Post Sep 6th, 2010 12:29 AM
Click here to Send mossman a Private Message Find more posts by mossman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sskylinespeed

I'm all for a remaking of the originals just in a much different way and reason to remake them than of the people I hear wanting one. If they were to remake the originals I say leave the story as is it was;it was fine and they are the first simple as that. I'd just like them to use some of the new talent out there and with the technology we have and just give it an upgrade in that way but totally leave the story as it was.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2010 01:49 AM
Click here to Send sskylinespeed a Private Message Find more posts by sskylinespeed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

Originally posted by sskylinespeed
I'm all for a remaking of the originals just in a much different way and reason to remake them than of the people I hear wanting one. If they were to remake the originals I say leave the story as is it was;it was fine and they are the first simple as that. I'd just like them to use some of the new talent out there and with the technology we have and just give it an upgrade in that way but totally leave the story as it was.

NO F'IN
WAY!!!!!!!!!

Old Post Sep 6th, 2010 08:34 PM
queeq
Chaos

Amen

Old Post Sep 7th, 2010 06:04 PM