KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Kit Fisto vs. Old Ben Kenobi

Kit Fisto vs. Old Ben Kenobi
Started by: carthage

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
AotC Kenobi was still fairly early in his career and still had some way to go before he reached his peak.
Besides the point. Look at the improvement Kenobi showed during three years heading into ROTS. He would have improved at at least a similar rate over the course of a decade after TPM, where he was already quite close to Qui-Gon Jinn.
quote:
Kit was already a Council Master at that point. He had already hit his peak and was about as good as he would ever get. By RotS, Kenoi had surpassed him by quite a bit.
It doesn't matter one way or the other if Kenobi surpassed Fisto or not. I'm judging how good of a duelist Fisto is based on him being better than AotC Kenobi.
quote:
Ben's skills clearly haven't diminished THAT much, seeing as he was able to hold off Vader.
They deteriorated, no matter which way you want to spin it.
quote:
By that point Vader was far more skilled than in his Jedi days due to greater experience and level-headedness. He was slower and less mobile true (which is why he had trouble with the Maul clone), but his technical skill was better than ever.
Dude, Vader was a "shadow of his former self" during the ANH time period, and he hadn't even began modelling his hybrid form to adjust to his suit by this point. Vader was about a tier and a half below TPM Maul as a duelist at this stage in time and Ben was losing to him. To say Vader is far more skilled than Anakin period is nonsense, never mind during ANH.
quote:
Nah, I'd still put Ben higher in skill level. Plus Kit's technique isn't enough to breach Ben's defence while his recklessness leaves him open to counters.
I don't see how Ben is more skilled than Fisto. And Fisto has adapted Shii-Cho to work for lightsaber duels, evidenced by him being able to fight Kenobi for hours who was using a dueling-centric form.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2014 05:14 AM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Marco1907
Great Sith Lord

quote: (post)
Originally posted by chilled monkey
Besides the fact that he's defeated numerous Jedi in lightsabre duels?

I know, and none of them was considerably good combatants, or you can correct me if I am wrong, because I don't remember any good duelist that Vader ever defeated. Mostly he beats his opponent because of his durability / armor and TK.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2014 02:12 PM
Click here to Send Marco1907 a Private Message Find more posts by Marco1907 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
McP

Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Lucas said it's a "harder" fight for them because they're older. But he never commented on if it's a worse performance by them now.

And I'm pretty sure that was before he had Dooku coming along being like almost 30 years older than Old Ben but as Powerful, Energetic and Skilled Swordsman as they come. Count Dooku kinda revamps the idea that Old Ben isn't good because he's old. Heck Old Ben is only 3 years older than ROTS Windu.

I'm not so sure. Lucas stated/confirmed, that Ben and Vader are inferior to Obi-Wan and Anakin as a duelists.

And yeah, that was before AotC. But after TPM, when we can see 60 years old Jinn, who is far from being "an old man". Lucas ****ed SW's timeline in the PT.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2014 06:39 AM
Click here to Send McP a Private Message Find more posts by McP Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by McP
I'm not so sure. Lucas stated/confirmed, that Ben and Vader are inferior to Obi-Wan and Anakin as a duelists.

And yeah, that was before AotC. But after TPM, when we can see 60 years old Jinn, who is far from being "an old man". Lucas ****ed SW's timeline in the PT.

Well Jinn was supposed to be past his prime (according to the novel at least), but yeah clearly was still capable.

Looking at ROTS Windu clearly being at his Prime, Qui-Gon being past his prime and ROTS Kenobi clearly not being the most learned in TK yet, I'd guess on average 50ish should be the Prime of the Jedi.

I guess Dooku just hanged on to very close to his prime a lot longer than most. And Yoda/Sidious were just the Ultimate masters of the Force, so weren't effected by age too much.

Either way Old Ben being "too old" just sounds ridiculous now, and makes little/no sense.

Originally posted by ILS
Besides the point. Look at the improvement Kenobi showed during three years heading into ROTS. He would have improved at at least a similar rate over the course of a decade after TPM, where he was already quite close to Qui-Gon Jinn.

Well he's bound to improve more during a war. Otherwise by applying that rate of improvement at any time regardless Old Ben should have been whooping everyone's butt.

We can't just assume a massive improvement over time, or apply an exact formula for it. That's why we take feats and accolades over "assumed" improvements.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Dec 15th, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Old Post Dec 15th, 2014 10:52 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote