KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Who and what is Valkorion?

Who and what is Valkorion?
Started by: AncientPower

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
S_W_LeGenD

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Beniboybling
Quite, Valkorion hollowed out living beings to house his life force, cheated death to stay alive, only to eventually perish i.e. stop living.

Honestly its really sad that its comes to this, that I actually have to explain to the TOR phags how Valkorion is alive.

EDIT:

(please log in to view the image)

Case closed. Kek.

Do you expect a mere profile to explain the ground realities of Valkorion in detail? indeed.

That profile is not wrong at asserting that Valkorion has lived for a millennia; from 5113 BBY - 3950 BBY (1163 years to be precise). However, repeated attempts on his life forced him to shed his mortal coil.

The Emperor created his first Voice after the legendary Jedi named Revan attempted to assassinate him on Dromund Kaas.

Taken from TOR Encyclopedia

What do you think happens when a Force-user sheds his mortal coil? He is (logically and technically) not a living being after that and his formless presence is (logically and technically) a spirit:

Death is not the end. For Sith strong in the dark side, the demise of the physical body will not stop their relentless campaign for power. Such Sith may return as intangible spirits, able to communicate with the living. Among the Sith, these spirits are viewed with caution as well as reverence: Sith entities tend to be powerful, raging at their own demise and seeking revenge, or able to cunningly manipulate the living. The spirits of powerful Sith Lords such as Marka Ragnos, Freedon Nadd, and Karness Murr influenced galactic events and inspired others to evil long after their physical deaths. For this reason, the Dark Temple on Dromund Kaas, which houses sarcophagi of the Sith Emperor's deceased enemies, is as much a prison as tomb.

Taken from TOR: Encyclopedia

Valkorion certainly lived for a millennia but shed his mortal coil after the events of Revan and was (logically and technically) a spirit henceforth. Any living being he directly 'possessed' afterwards, was identified as his Voice.

The Voice is the mouthpiece through which the Emperor delivers his orders. This possessed being sacrifices all consciousness to become a hollow vessel for the Emperor.

Taken from TOR: Encyclopedia

To keep it simple:

A being of unfathomable power and insatiable appetite, he transcended death multiple times, shedding his physical shells as they were discovered, defeated, and destroyed... only to return in another form.

Taken from TOR: KOET

---

He now appears to the Outlander as an apparition, offering guidance and harsh lessons while carrying out a master plan that remains shrouded in secrecy.

Taken from TOR: KOET

---

In-fact, we have an entire story arc of Valkorion that portrays him as an 'intangible apparition' before the events of Knights of the Fallen Empire; this chapter of his story is officially marketed as Rise of the Emperor.

"He did not assume a physical form or possess a body. And he left as soon as he appeared. None of it makes sense!" (Darth Marr)

Living beings were not able to understand the true nature of Valkorion when he interacted with them as an 'intangible spirit' because they were accustomed to interacting with his Voices and assumed that he too was a living being like them. This was not true.

Since Valkorion had become an 'intangible spirit' and was supremely strong in the Dark Side on top of that, other Force-users attempted to stop him but in vain:

"This is most distressing. Vitiate may be more powerful then any of us assumed. And as he does not appear to have any manner of physical form, he cannot be restrained or destroyed by conventional means." (Darth Marr)

&

The Empire's highest ranking officers and dignitaries are now in a state of heightened alert, and the Dark Council has assembled a contingent of powerful Sith seers to get a fix on the Emperor's presence. When he makes his move, it is believed he will not distinguish between former friend or foe, as they will all eventually become his food and none will remain.

---- ---- ----

You continue to surprise me with your recent arguments, Beni. Time for you to stop cherry-picking from the available information and start looking at the bigger picture. Your half-baked attempts to make a point that suits your agenda won't go unchallenged.

A made up rule, any entry into continuity is valid for the entire breadth of that continuity. That's how it works.

The SWTORE remains a definitive source on TOR and indeed Vitiate as long as it 1. remains part of Legends continuity 2. is not retconned by newer sources. Try to understand that again, sourcebooks don't have expiry dates.

In which case I'd advise on reading up on how continuity works.

Try to digest this:

"When it comes to absolute canon, the real story of Star Wars, you must turn to the films themselves—and only the films. Even novelizations are interpretations of the film, and while they are largely true to George Lucas' vision (he works quite closely with the novel authors), the method in which they are written does allow for some minor differences. The novelizations are written concurrently with the film's production, so variations in detail do creep in from time to time. Nonetheless, they should be regarded as very accurate depictions of the fictional Star Wars movies.

The further one branches away from the movies, the more interpretation and speculation come into play. LucasBooks works diligently to keep the continuing Star Wars expanded universe cohesive and uniform, but stylistically, there is always room for variation. Not all artists draw Luke Skywalker the same way. Not all writers define the character in the same fashion. The particular attributes of individual media also come into play. A comic book interpretation of an event will likely have less dialogue or different pacing than a novel version. A video game has to take an interactive approach that favors gameplay. So too must card and roleplaying games ascribe certain characteristics to characters and events in order to make them playable.

The analogy is that every piece of published Star Wars fiction is a window into the 'real' Star Wars universe. Some windows are a bit foggier than others. Some are decidedly abstract. But each contains a nugget of truth to them. Like the great Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi said, 'many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view.' "

From Christopher Cerasi

Emphasis mine. Nothing is gospel in Star Wars with the exception of movies or G-Canon content on the whole. The rest is open to interpretation because people (including authors) tend to have difference in opinion and perception of same stuff. This is why we notice contradictions and retcons in published materials even if they all pertain to the same character. Most of the source materials that you tend to cite in your arguments represent the perception of historians or characters about the events in the past. Such revelations can be challenged on the grounds of new content that was not accounted for in an older source material.

Your interpretation isn't more valid than mine so stop pretending to be my teacher in these matters.

By the way, source material classified as Legends is no longer part of official Star Wars continuity. Much of the stuff in it is open to interpretation even more-so then before due to Canon-Legends split. Welcome to 2015.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on Feb 27th, 2017 at 04:10 PM

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 04:05 PM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

Not the point, the point is that a student of Sith history, the fact that Plagueis recognised Vitiate as a Sith Lord reflects the fact that the (historical) record too acknowledged him as such, just as the record had Nihilus down as a Sith Lord as well, despite the reality being more complex.

Note: the same record has Darth Plagueis down as the most powerful of said Sith Lords. thumb up

Darth Plagueis is infallible and all-knowing now? roll eyes (sarcastic)

An individual who was identified (and documented) as the Sith Emperor in records for a vast period of his existence, is likely to be perceived as a Sith by individuals in the future UNLESS they had a suspect that there's more than meets the eye in this case. Unfortunately, Darth Plagueis's knowledge of the character in question was limited.

Consider real-world perspective for this matter. If you were a Republican in the past but switched your allegiance to Democrats recently, I will identify you as a Democrat at present. Your past is irrelevant to me unless a reference to it is necessary in an autobiography.

In the nutshell, this entire argument comes down to interpretation and perception.

Do also keep this in mind:

Though the Jedi archives held reports, recordings, holocrons, and data from throughout their history, the archives also contained incomplete information, inaccuracies, half-remembered stories, omissions, and outright falsehoods.

Taken from Star Wars: Core Rulebook

It covers Vitiate's feat on Nathema, it refers to Emperor Vitiate holistically AKA a Dark Lord of the Sith.

Sorry! This book covers Vitiate's story arc up to the point of Ritual of Nathema only. He (was) an ancient Dark Lord of the Sith during those days.

Same book also describes Ziost but does not covers Valkorion's part in its destruction.

But favours him nonetheless, yeah.

1. In the absence of full account of Vitiate.
2. This revelation is open to interpretation.

Take a look:

Emperor Palpatine, secretly known as Darth Sidious, remains the most powerful Sith Lord and dark side adherent in the galaxy. His power may be unparalleled in the history of the Sith.

The top statement is definitive. However, the bottom statement leaves room for interpretation because the word 'power' is subjective in its meaning. It could be taking into consideration Palpatine's political strength as well.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on Feb 27th, 2017 at 04:12 PM

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 04:05 PM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

About there own works yeah. And even then, its not strictly canon.

Hm..yet they are used for debates and in RT? Hm...plus Vitiate/Valk is a creation of BW yes? Or at the least just ask the guy who created the character.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 04:24 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Hm..yet they are used for debates and in RT? Hm...plus Vitiate/Valk is a creation of BW yes? Or at the least just ask the guy who created the character.
The other guy isn't though. And that's their prerogative. Whomever you may be referring to.

@Leg, I won't be wasting anymore time on you. Sry.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 04:31 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

The other guy isn't though. And that's their prerogative. Whomever you may be referring to.

@Leg, I won't be wasting anymore time on you. Sry.

/Shrug

Fair I guess.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 04:43 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

Why not just ask BW on the matter to see what's definite? Simple question, is Vitiate/Valk more powerful than RotsRotjDark Empire Sidious?

This came from one of the writers of BioWare:

The player is pulled into this struggle of two of the most powerful Force users, like ever, in the history of the Old Republic, if not beyond - Revan and the Emperor.

History of the Old Republic stretches from 25035 BBY to 32 BBY in the lore.

If Revan > Darth Plagueis according to BioWare then you can do the math for Valkorion.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on Feb 27th, 2017 at 05:13 PM

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 05:11 PM
Zenwolf

Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD

The player is pulled into this struggle of two of the most powerful Force users, like ever, in the history of the Old Republic, if not beyond - Revan and the Emperor.

History of the Old Republic stretches from 25035 BBY to 32 BBY in the lore.

If Revan > Darth Plagueis according to BioWare then you can do the math for Valkorion.

Eh? From what I'm reading the Old Republic era is from 25,053 BBY to 1,000 BBY, before it goes to the RotE era.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 05:25 PM
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Yeah, Plagueis is from RotE. And that quote doesn't put Revan above Plagueis, Jesus Christ...

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 05:33 PM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

"two of the" =/= "the two"

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 05:38 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

Eh? From what I'm reading the Old Republic era is from 25,053 BBY to 1,000 BBY, before it goes to the RotE era.

That statement is not era specific. History of the Old Republic is the key term and it stretches from 25,053 BBY - 33 BBY encompassing several eras.

In each Star Wars novel;

OLD REPUBLIC (5000 BBY - 33 YEARS BEFORE Star Wars: A New Hope)

Wookieepedia classifications are not accurate.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 06:04 PM
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Right, but the books also establish a difference between the Old Republic Era, which only goes up to Bane's time, and the Rise of the Empire era, which is from then on.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 06:05 PM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

Originally posted by SunRazer
Right, but the books also establish a difference between the Old Republic Era, which only goes up to Bane's time, and the Rise of the Empire era, which is from then on.

Here:

(please log in to view the image)

And where do the find the word era in the statement from BioWare? They considered history of the Old Republic on the whole.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 06:16 PM
The_Tempest

Originally posted by Deronn_solo
Tempest is gonna come out of retirement

Unlikely. Me coming out of retirement for AP would be like me coming out of retirement for Leg. This thread has all the charm and factual basis of a Trump press conference.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 06:18 PM
Click here to Send The_Tempest a Private Message Find more posts by The_Tempest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Just where did you get that from? I quickly grabbed my copies of Darth Plagueis and Kenobi off the shelf and they had the Rise of the Empire era starting at 67 BBY. My scanner's broken so I can't scan it for you right now.

BioWare's referring to the game The Old Republic, lol.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 06:19 PM
Ursumeles
Traitor

Goddamn, Leg, when you try to argue that Yoda isn't the strongest Jedi of all time, because he is only One of them then how the ****ing hell can you argue that Revan > Plagueis, because Revan is one of the strongest Force Users ever?

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 06:28 PM
Click here to Send Ursumeles a Private Message Find more posts by Ursumeles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

Just where did you get that from? I quickly grabbed my copies of Darth Plagueis and Kenobi off the shelf and they had the Rise of the Empire era starting at 67 BBY. My scanner's broken so I can't scan it for you right now.

It is from my copy of Darth Plagueis.

BioWare's referring to the game The Old Republic, lol.

Read it carefully:

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 06:30 PM
S_W_LeGenD

Originally posted by Ursumeles

Goddamn, Leg, when you try to argue that Yoda isn't the strongest Jedi of all time, because he is only One of them then how the ****ing hell can you argue that Revan > Plagueis, because Revan is one of the strongest Force Users ever?

Instead of presenting a facepalm, try to comprehend what I stated. It seems like I am dealing with kids and college dropouts here.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 06:31 PM
Ursumeles
Traitor

Instead of presenting a facepalm, try to comprehend what I stated. It seems like I am dealing with kids and college dropouts here.

Tell me how it says Revan > Plagueis.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 06:33 PM
Click here to Send Ursumeles a Private Message Find more posts by Ursumeles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

Originally posted by Ursumeles
Tell me how it says Revan > Plagueis.

Here:

History of the Old Republic stretches from 25035 BBY to 33 BBY in the lore.

Do you understand the timeline associated with the Old Republic?

Again, that statement is from BioWare and I posted it in response to a query from member Zenwolf. You reserve your facepalm for BioWare, not me,

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 06:35 PM
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

@Legend - Do you have the hardback? That probably explains why.

I don't know how the higlighted parts matter, but it's all meaningless in the end anyway because the quote only expresses Revan and Vitiate being two of the most powerful beings in the OR era, not the concrete two most powerful. In no way does Plagueis fall under that jurisdiction.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 06:36 PM