KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Wonderman the full Story

Wonderman the full Story
Started by: Sir Whirlysplat

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Wonderman the full Story

A Truly Awesome Site smile

http://www.fortunecity.com/athena/power/955/

You have to consider these events in the context of their respective times. During most of the sixties, DC’s parent, National Periodical Publications, was Marvel’s distributor (!) through their Independent News subsidiary. Marvel was, in some ways, under their thumb. By the time Gerry

reintroduced Wonder Man, more or less in response to Power Girl, Marvel comics were being distributed by Curtis Circulation, a subsidiary of Marvel’s parent, Cadence Industries, and Marvel was less vulnerable. Also, the relationship between the two companies had changed somewhat. During the sixties, there was a real B-to-B enmity.

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Dec 24th, 2005 12:29 AM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucid Lui
Air Laki Laki

Hey, awesome. A Wonder Man mini series by Peter David. I'm there.

That's a good site.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Verily.
| www.lucidlui.com | Aquaman Respect Thread |

Old Post Dec 24th, 2005 12:32 AM
Lucid Lui is currently offline Click here to Send Lucid Lui a Private Message Find more posts by Lucid Lui Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Reading that site, it's like Wonder Man was the Sentry of his day.

Strong words from John Byrne too, about Marvel's direction. Or lack of.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Dec 24th, 2005 02:16 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by roughrider
Reading that site, it's like Wonder Man was the Sentry of his day.

Strong words from John Byrne too, about Marvel's direction. Or lack of.

Byrne always has strong words he's a loon, did you ever read his "Flame about this high", in next men, his one bitter guy RR. trust me on this.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2005 02:26 AM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Sir Whirlysplat
Byrne always has strong words he's a loon, did you ever read his "Flame about this high", in next men, his one bitter guy RR. trust me on this.

I first noticed Byrne when he was tapped for Superman; the big fish from Marvel brought to do the revamp. Then noticed during the next several years he was very prolific but skittish - jumping from title to title after two years or less. After they restarted She-Hulk, he stormed off angrily after six issues or so, and ranted in an interview about using "the beginning of the 90's as an excuse to get the hell out of the trenches." Meaning comics? But he never did leave. Continued boucing around through the 90's; his long stays on X-Men and Fantastic Four early on, were never duplicated.
Didn't read Next Men, but noticed it was published independently. Apparently, it was a concept similar to what Marvel was trying in the early 90's with those 2099 titles; talked a little about that in an interview; sounded bitter, yep.
And now he is just drawing Action Comics, and his Superman art is considered passe'. How the mighty can fall.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2005 03:23 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScarletSpider
Ben Reilly

Byrne's hilarious. "You can tell when Erik is saying something stupid -- his lips move."

Old Post Dec 24th, 2005 03:40 AM
ScarletSpider is currently offline Click here to Send ScarletSpider a Private Message Find more posts by ScarletSpider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ScarletSpider
Byrne's hilarious. "You can tell when Erik is saying something stupid -- his lips move."

laughing out loud He is so jealous of Alan Moore, Byrnw on Moore pararphrased, "He is not so great, I could have writtern Watchmen". The point is John you didn't!!!!!!
He's views on Todd Mcfarlane are about right though.

Originally posted by roughrider
I first noticed Byrne when he was tapped for Superman; the big fish from Marvel brought to do the revamp. Then noticed during the next several years he was very prolific but skittish - jumping from title to title after two years or less. After they restarted She-Hulk, he stormed off angrily after six issues or so, and ranted in an interview about using "the beginning of the 90's as an excuse to get the hell out of the trenches." Meaning comics? But he never did leave. Continued boucing around through the 90's; his long stays on X-Men and Fantastic Four early on, were never duplicated.
Didn't read Next Men, but noticed it was published independently. Apparently, it was a concept similar to what Marvel was trying in the early 90's with those 2099 titles; talked a little about that in an interview; sounded bitter, yep.
And now he is just drawing Action Comics, and his Superman art is considered passe'. How the mighty can fall.

Next men and 2112 are actually like much of Byrnes work excellent RR check them out. His original revamp of the 70's OMAC published in the late eighties or early nineties is also an oft forgotten high point in Byrnes career.

Last edited by Sir Whirlysplat on Dec 24th, 2005 at 11:38 AM

Old Post Dec 24th, 2005 11:28 AM
ScarletSpider
Ben Reilly

I like his stuff a lot, he just flips out all over the place, and it's hilarious.

There's a poster on Newsarama that has different "Great Moments in Byrne History" signatures. Most of them are very good. Someone should make a website devoted to Byrne's assinine exploits. If there isn't one already, I haven't searched.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2005 09:28 PM
ScarletSpider is currently offline Click here to Send ScarletSpider a Private Message Find more posts by ScarletSpider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ScarletSpider
I like his stuff a lot, he just flips out all over the place, and it's hilarious.

There's a poster on Newsarama that has different "Great Moments in Byrne History" signatures. Most of them are very good. Someone should make a website devoted to Byrne's assinine exploits. If there isn't one already, I haven't searched.

laughing out loud it's funny 'cause its true smile

Old Post Dec 26th, 2005 03:12 AM
Psycho Ninja
Holy Vigilante

Is Sentry becoming a WM in the next 10 years ??

PSYCHO !!

Old Post Dec 26th, 2005 05:21 AM
Psycho Ninja is currently offline Click here to Send Psycho Ninja a Private Message Find more posts by Psycho Ninja Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote