KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » What are peoples attitudes and oppinions to astral travel? or OOBE?

What are peoples attitudes and oppinions to astral travel? or OOBE?
Started by: SaferSephiroth

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SaferSephiroth
One Winged Angel of Death

What are peoples attitudes and oppinions to astral travel? or OOBE?

What are peoples attitudes and oppinions to astral travel (out of body experience)? There are so many references to it in many religions. I can get out my body, but i get pulled back pretty quickly (non-believers please dont mock me, I believe what i want). im intrested in anyones oppinions, so please post.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 01:43 PM
SaferSephiroth is currently offline Click here to Send SaferSephiroth a Private Message Find more posts by SaferSephiroth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

You can believe what you want, as long as you can back it up. I only mock what is unsupported big grin.

I think the OBEs are....how do I say....cr@p?

The best part of this though was that you used the word astral...as in astral microtubules...and that made my day.

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 02:14 PM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

I've know people who have done it along with myself 3 times..........Sorry, but it is possible for all you unbelievers....

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 02:19 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

I am open to the possibility. But "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence," and thusfar none has surfaced...and I say this as a practiced lucid dreamer with many OOB-like experiences under his belt.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 02:21 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

OBE is also what people experience when on the operating table stating that they looked down and saw what was happening and hearing.....

I've read a lot about it............

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 02:28 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucius
Unknown

The only Astral Plane I know of is the one in D&D...

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 04:55 PM
Lucius is currently offline Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

how would you differentiate between an out of body dream and an OBE...alot of crazy sh1t happens when you're hopped up on anesthetics, i would judge the mental capacity of the patient to actually remember if they had an OBE or not.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 05:01 PM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Alliance
how would you differentiate between an out of body dream and an OBE...alot of crazy sh1t happens when you're hopped up on anesthetics, i would judge the mental capacity of the patient to actually remember if they had an OBE or not.
Because, you can still and see what is going on around you........for instance someone in your house is playing a computer game, and you hear and see it though it sounds distorted and slower........

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 06:56 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

There is a way to test this:

Take a desk of cards and pull out of the desk 5 cards without looking at then. Have someone else place the cards face up on the top of a high shelf. Then you astral travel out of your body and look at the cards. Write down your results and then get the cards and see if you are correct.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 07:00 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Debbiejo: YOu can have ultrarealistic dreams where you see yourself and other things around you.

I had a dream once where I got up, went through my morning routine, wend to class, went through a 1.5 hr lecture, came back and went to bed to take a nep. I then woke up to my alarm at the normal time, but was rather convinced for a few minutes I had already gone to class. messed It wasn't an OBE.

The Shakya, that might work if it could be duplicated/repeated, but you can't attribute that to only OBEs. The same phenomenon could be contributed to phsycicness or x-ray vision.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 07:09 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Debbiejo: YOu can have ultrarealistic dreams where you see yourself and other things around you.

I had a dream once where I got up, went through my morning routine, wend to class, went through a 1.5 hr lecture, came back and went to bed to take a nep. I then woke up to my alarm at the normal time, but was rather convinced for a few minutes I had already gone to class. messed It wasn't an OBE.

The Shakya, that might work if it could be duplicated/repeated, but you can't attribute that to only OBEs. The same phenomenon could be contributed to phsycicness or x-ray vision.

I don't think anyone can do it. It has been tested before. Scientists have done studies with people who claim to be able to leave their body. They put a person in a room with a bed and asked them to OBE. Unknown to these people was a sign on the top of a book case that could only be seen from above. The letters were bright red and if you were floating above the room it would have caught your eye. None of the people, in all of the studies, reported seeing any sign.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 07:18 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Shaky those tests have been done, and they were proven to be true........and Alliance.........I couldn't get out of or past my ceiling....... laughing out loud

I've studied is just for fascination and there are many documented medical stories.........

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 07:19 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by debbiejo
Shaky those tests have been done, and they were proven to be true........and Alliance.........I couldn't get out of or past my ceiling....... laughing out loud

I've studied is just for fascination and there are many documented medical stories.........

Well, take my test and put the cards in a place were you can only see them when you OGE.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 07:22 PM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

is that in fantasyland?

laughing

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 07:34 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

A surgeon, intrigued over the years of occasional OOBEs reported by some of his patients, set up an electronic message scroll on top of a cabinet in the OR. He figured, if a patient's OOBE was genuine, they would be able to tell him what the scroll said after they came to.

After a year of doing this, no patient ever told him what the scroll said (though it's not clear if any patients had OOBEs during that year). I also feel that if you have an OOBE, you're gonna be so astounded that, looking for/recognizing a test set-up, may not be first on the astral traveler's mind.

(BTW, knowledge of the scroll, as revealed through, say, clairvoyance instead of an OOBE, would IMO be just as compelling. X-ray vision, on the other hand...well, that would come with its own set of questions).

I once had a lucid dream (many years ago) where my dream surroundings matched my physical surroundings. I got out of bed (in my dream) went into my parents' bedroom, saw them sleeping, and said to them, "I'm gonna ask you if you remember me visiting you in a dream."

The next morning, they had no such recollection...but then, one might say they simply did not remember their own dreams.

It is interesting stuff, but again, "extraordinary claims..."

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 07:35 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

is that in fantasyland?

laughing
Couldn't get past my damn ceiling...... mad

hahahahahahaha...............and also, I didn't plan on it to happen either, though there is one time where I felt I was given a choice to do so, so I said what the hey............I did leave the house at night.......everything was dark out (cause it was night).........saw all the houses down below with there lights on..........then suddenly I was whipped back like I was attached to a rubber band............and zoom.......back like as quick as lightening...........weird...........haven't been able to do it since.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 07:45 PM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

This leads me to observe two things.

1. It was a singular random event. (but this is unfair because if ti was repeated, I'd jsut say you needed psychiatric help laughing no expression)

2. It was late at night, how do you know you didn't just doze off for a sec? Its like when you're falling asleep in class, and as soon as your head starts to fall down you get that rubberband back feeling.

3. If this was a dream, it likely describes what you were thingking about at the time...the night, the little houses outside...its not a huge intellectual jump to attribute this to a quick dozing.

4. You're ceilings there for a reason! big grin

And I agree with mindship...simple "extraordinary" in the most negative of connotations.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 08:30 PM
debbiejo
Dreamer

Hey, I was very alert with this.....and thought it very strange, but wasn't scared at all...just went with the flow..............It does go with quantum physics ya know..............And it was in the middle of the after noon when I couldn't get past my ceiling and heard my son playin and seeing him play the computer............I only wish I could do it again........it was really neat,.

Do a research study on it............it's been done before....many many times especially in near death situations...........

I did read though, if you are afraid, it will draw fearful experiences to you....(like attracts like).........but I wasn't afraid.........in fact when in my living room, I thought it so cool, cause I kept flowing back into my body, that I make it happen about 6 times that one day, last summer......All in one sitting, or should I say laying..............

was really cool!

I am a person that is curious about things which includes the sciences behind it and then try things..............oh well, you don't have to believe,.........for me it was only a theory, but now I know better.

Oh and BTW, I hate even sharing this cause I know what I sound like in doing so, and coming from a pentecostal upbringing.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 09:06 PM
debbiejo
Dreamer

Originally posted by debbiejo
Hey, I was very alert with this.....and thought it very strange, but wasn't scared at all...just went with the flow..............It does go with quantum physics ya know..............And it was in the middle of the after noon when I couldn't get past my ceiling and heard my son playin and seeing him play the computer............I only wish I could do it again........it was really neat,.

Do a research study on it............it's been done before....many many times especially in near death situations...........

I did read though, if you are afraid, it will draw fearful experiences to you....(like attracts like).........but I wasn't afraid.........in fact when in my living room, I thought it so cool, cause I kept flowing back into my body, that I make it happen about 6 times that one day, last summer......All in one sitting, or should I say laying..............

was really cool!

I am a person that is curious about things which includes the sciences behind it and then try things..............oh well, you don't have to believe,.........for me it was only a theory, but now I know better.

Oh and BTW, I hate even sharing this cause I know what I sound like in doing so, and coming from a pentecostal upbringing.

Oops

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 09:07 PM
Lucius
Unknown

My mother claimed to experience like this once when she nearly died at my birth.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 10:06 PM
Lucius is currently offline Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote