KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Best Philip K. Dick Adaptation

The Best Philip K. Dick movie
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Blade Runner (1982) 4 25.00%
Total Recall (1990) 3 18.75%
Screamers (1995) 0 0%
Minority Report (2002) 5 31.25%
Imposter (2002) 1 6.25%
Paycheck (2003) 0 0%
A Scanner Darkly (2006) 3 18.75%
Next (2007) 0 0%
Total: 16 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Best Philip K. Dick Adaptation
Started by: roughrider

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
roughrider
Thunderer

Best Philip K. Dick Adaptation

Which film adaptation do you like the best?

(I have a feeling the poll will be heavily weighted...)

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jul 17th, 2010 03:58 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Come on; someone's going to vote for Screamers or Paycheck, aren't they? big grin

Old Post Jul 19th, 2010 03:39 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Blade Runner and Minority Report.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Jul 19th, 2010 07:15 PM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChocolateCake

Minority Report by a country mile.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2010 08:28 PM
ChocolateCake is currently offline Click here to Send ChocolateCake a Private Message Find more posts by ChocolateCake Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

A Scanner Darkly for me.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2010 03:26 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

Easily Total Recall for me.

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2010 06:32 PM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

blade runner easily

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Jul 21st, 2010 07:32 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

It seems generally agreed by the poll, only four on this list are of good quality. The other half are misfires or disappointments.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2010 07:55 PM
Patient_Leech
Ungod

Blade Runner (1982) - overrated.
Total Recall (1990) - over the top stupid. (but somehow fun)
Screamers (1995) - hm.. i've never seen it.
Minority Report (2002) - Pretty great
Imposter (2002) - hm.. i've never seen it.
Paycheck (2003) - pretty good, been meaning to see it again actually.
A Scanner Darkly (2006) - pretty good
Next (2007) - and never seen this one either.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2011 04:33 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RobsonThomson

It has to be blade runner!

Old Post Dec 14th, 2011 04:14 PM
RobsonThomson is currently offline Click here to Send RobsonThomson a Private Message Find more posts by RobsonThomson Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

I agree that Blade Runner was overrated. Most of the "top FX, surrealism, blah blah blah" was not exciting but confusing for me. I know that it's meant to be confusing with Philip K. Dick, but I can get through his books without my head feeling like it's been tumbled about in a dryer.

I'd say Paycheck or Minority Report, although I'd really like to see "A Scanner Darkly."

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2011 07:15 PM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Patient_Leech

Total Recall (1990) - over the top stupid. (but somehow fun)

Be interesting to see how the remake turns out since its doing it different.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2011 01:43 AM
Kazenji is online now! Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
Ungod

Originally posted by Kazenji
Be interesting to see how the remake turns out since its doing it different.

An interpretation that doesn't make MARS BLINDINGLY RED would certainly be an improvement.. lol

(please log in to view the image)

(thank god they toned it down for John Carter... a director with a decent visual sense..)

Attachment: total_recall_kw_new1.jpg
This has been downloaded 48 time(s).

Old Post Dec 24th, 2011 03:23 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by siriuswriter
I agree that Blade Runner was overrated. Most of the "top FX, surrealism, blah blah blah" was not exciting but confusing for me. I know that it's meant to be confusing with Philip K. Dick, but I can get through his books without my head feeling like it's been tumbled about in a dryer.

I'd say Paycheck or Minority Report, although I'd really like to see "A Scanner Darkly."
How'd you feel about Do Androids Dream of Robotic Sheep? The last chapter or so had me scratching my head.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Dec 24th, 2011 05:42 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Blade Runner is not overrated, you clowns.

Blax, that's lice, yo.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Dec 24th, 2011 07:49 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

No, it's not. Blade Runner is iconic and great. And by far the best Dick adaptation. More in spirit than in actual copying the book. Scanner Darkly was good but followed the book a little too closely to make a great film. I think Minority Report is the runner up for me.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2011 09:41 AM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
How'd you feel about Do Androids Dream of Robotic Sheep? The last chapter or so had me scratching my head.

Isn't it : Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? I could swear it was.

Well first of all, I kinda had a technical problem with Dick's titles. I am sooo used to reading a vague but engaging title like "The Atonement" or "The Gardens of Kyoto" and such that Dick's books were like : really? You understand that I'm going to have to read the whole book to get the title, right? which is rather unfair if I do say so myself. So I was borrowing these from a guy friend a few at a time and so I read all he had within the space of maybe three weeks. So the plots and remembrance of reading everything kinda blend together sometimes.

The first time I read the last chapter, I was CONFUSED. And when I get confused at a book it's NOT OKAY. I turn into the Incredible Bulk, start to breathe heavily and yell and scream for no reason. My attitude goes down the pisser.

So I got out a sheet of paper and a pencil and I picked up the book again and started to sort of chart it out. Dick is soo distracting, you're trying to concentrate on one aspect and it ends up going on this tangent because suddenly he's trying to explain something else in the middle of explaining the first thing so by the time he answers the first question I've forgotten what that question was. So I knew that I was NOT SUPPOSED to understand this. But the charting really helped. I'm still not positive as to what happened, which is the one think I like the movie for - Steady Ending, Able to Understand.

I am still frustrated by it, but I just have to take a deep breath before I turn red and steam comes out of my ears, and re-understand that Dick is a bit of a schizophrenic when he comes to writing.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2011 04:35 AM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

Haha, you think Androids was confusing, try reading his later works... VALIS is like the end of androids, except its doing that every chapter.

Don't forget, a movie of Radio Free Albemuth was released recently. I wish it was in my theaters!

Old Post Dec 25th, 2011 05:42 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Rob: Yes it is; no it wasn't.

Sirius: Don't correct me in public.

Kandy: stfu

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Dec 25th, 2011 07:33 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

Oh, Blaxy -Waxy,

Shove it up your arse.

big grin

Old Post Dec 26th, 2011 03:57 AM