KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Buddhism, as it is practiced throughout the world

Buddhism, as it is practiced throughout the world
Started by: cherrcherr123

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cherrcherr123
Restricted

Account Restricted

Buddhism, as it is practiced throughout the world

Buddhism, as it is practiced throughout the world, has long included a broad range of such varied religious performances as tree and serpent worship, astrology, divination, thaumaturgy, spell-chanting, exorcism, and later tantric rituals and ceremonies, and the like. Many of these cultic practices appear to be at odds with some of the lofty spiritual ideals described in selected scriptures. Orientalist scholars of the nineteenth century opined that the original teachings of the Buddha had been tarnished by accretions from local cultic observances. Hence, from almost its very inception, the study of Buddhism in the West has been hindered by presuppositions due to reliance upon selected canonical sources. Rather than letting the varied literary and archeological materials speak for themselves, "authentic" Buddhism has been restricted to a narrow, catholic interpretation as a purely atheistic, ascetic religion not interested in the manipulation and propitiation of gods and spirits.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2010 10:46 AM
cherrcherr123 is currently offline Click here to Send cherrcherr123 a Private Message Find more posts by cherrcherr123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Old Post Mar 25th, 2010 02:30 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Maybe...Coberst?

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2010 04:36 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

quote: (post)
Originally posted by inimalist
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-128251979.html

are you Richard McBride?

Spammer

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Mar 25th, 2010 06:33 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Seeing as you opened 3 threads on Buddhism I presume you like it.

I was wondering, did Buddha practiced Yoga?

And if so why is he portrayed as a fatty when most of modern day yoga practitioners are skinny as a bean pole.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2010 06:35 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark Riddick
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Bicnarok
Seeing as you opened 3 threads on Buddhism I presume you like it.

I was wondering, did Buddha practiced Yoga?

And if so why is he portrayed as a fatty when most of modern day yoga practitioners are skinny as a bean pole.
that is just a cultural thing Buddha wasn't really fat at least from how he was described to appear in scriptures.

the buddha statue that ppl know and see is the laughing or good luck Buddha..

it is a regional superstitious thing to rub its belly for luck.

also in other countries especially in japan being large was the traditional representation of nobility, strength and power kinda like the sumo wrestler so they gave Buddha statues that attribute.

its symbolic not meant to be accurate.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2010 06:57 PM
Dark Riddick is currently offline Click here to Send Dark Riddick a Private Message Find more posts by Dark Riddick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by Mindship
Maybe...Coberst?

no, but he was spooky

he totally wrote what he posted, or generated it somehow, but posted it on some dozens of forums iirc. He would reply on occasion as well, I think this guy is more of a bot for his sigs.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2010 03:34 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Well I don't know about other places but there was this one Buddhist monk who burned down a historically important temple in order to collect insurance. Sure sounds like a nasty bunch to get mixed up with.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2010 03:36 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Well I don't know about other places but there was this one Buddhist monk who burned down a historically important temple in order to collect insurance. Sure sounds like a nasty bunch to get mixed up with.

Nasty bunch; you mean human.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2010 05:14 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Originally posted by Wild Shadow
that is just a cultural thing Buddha wasn't really fat at least from how he was described to appear in scriptures.

the buddha statue that ppl know and see is the laughing or good luck Buddha..

it is a regional superstitious thing to rub its belly for luck.

also in other countries especially in japan being large was the traditional representation of nobility, strength and power kinda like the sumo wrestler so they gave Buddha statues that attribute.

its symbolic not meant to be accurate.

thanks for clearing that up, always made me wonder.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2010 08:52 AM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark Riddick
Restricted

Account Restricted

now you know and knowing is half the battle...G.I. joe

Old Post Mar 29th, 2010 10:16 PM
Dark Riddick is currently offline Click here to Send Dark Riddick a Private Message Find more posts by Dark Riddick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote