KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Superman power limits?

Superman power limits?
Started by: SuperDarryl

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SuperDarryl

Question Superman power limits?

I have a few questions about Superman. Can Superman fly into the Sun and just hang out? Can anything harm Superman other then the Big K?
Can anything cut Supermans skin? Could Superman burn down an entire forest from Space? How strong is he, I know he can move plenets, thats pretty strong! But I'am pondering about the maximum extent of his powers. Anyone care to comment? cool

Last edited by Raz on Dec 27th, 2004 at 10:22 PM

Old Post Apr 14th, 2004 10:39 PM
SuperDarryl is currently offline Click here to Send SuperDarryl a Private Message Find more posts by SuperDarryl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wolverine8888
Restricted

Account Restricted

superman skinn has been cut yes. and no superman can't breath in space and he also can't just sit infront of the sun

Old Post Apr 14th, 2004 10:42 PM
wolverine8888 is currently offline Click here to Send wolverine8888 a Private Message Find more posts by wolverine8888 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rasta

Not infront, in the sun. He bathes in it, do not talk about things you have no idea about.

Whoops, that would conclude to you not talking. But that's cool too, don't ****ing post anything ever again.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2004 10:46 PM
Rasta is currently offline Click here to Send Rasta a Private Message Find more posts by Rasta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SuperDarryl

How did Superman get his skin cut? More importantly how fast did he rejuvanate?

Old Post Apr 14th, 2004 10:51 PM
SuperDarryl is currently offline Click here to Send SuperDarryl a Private Message Find more posts by SuperDarryl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rasta

I believe his rejuvanating powers are slim at best, but it's pretty rare for him to be cut, unless it involves magic or kryptonite.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2004 10:55 PM
Rasta is currently offline Click here to Send Rasta a Private Message Find more posts by Rasta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kal-el
kryptonian slag

Pre-crisis he could move planets - bathe in the sun, travel faster than light and travel through space without breathing etc. His hearing was so good that I once read he heard someone in trouble from 250 miles away! These days since the crisis they've not limited his powers as such, but have stopped him doing such outrageously powerful things.I think that they want to leave it open so they can show him do something unbeleivable in the future.He's not as fast thats for sure and he can be cut by Doomsday's bone protrusions(coz Doomsday's at least as invulnerable as supes) and point blank massive explosions can also break his skin.and he can hold his breath for very long but would need breathing apparatus in space for example. With regard to his heat vision, it seems to have more range these days. Meaning that rather than just a beam of heat, he can fire short, sharp blasts for example. These days he can see 1000 miles into the distance, not sure how far he could see before. His strength is still up there with the strongest of them I would venture to say and it seems the writers want readers to believe that Kal doesnt know the full extent of his powers coz he tries so hard to control them. He obviously came to his limits fighting doomsday but we don't know the exact limits of that particular incarnation of doomsday, so it still leaves the 'unknown factor' about his limits. I doubt DC would dare publish any limits to his powers coz they want to leave options open. I reckon he can lift in excess of 1million tonnes on a really good day, but I've no idea what weighs a million tonnes to be honest. I have read about him lifting an entire submarine with what looked like extreme ease and a sub weighs about 30,000 tonnes or something, so it's def way more than that IMO.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2004 11:03 PM
kal-el is currently offline Click here to Send kal-el a Private Message Find more posts by kal-el Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wolverine8888
Restricted

Account Restricted

no doomday has cut him and also lobo. hulk also has. spiderman has. he nto uncutable also I find it ahr dto belive superman could stand right in the middle of the sun first off his space siut would be destroyed and he cant breath in space

Old Post Apr 14th, 2004 11:04 PM
wolverine8888 is currently offline Click here to Send wolverine8888 a Private Message Find more posts by wolverine8888 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rasta

It's because you have absolutely no idea of his powers, his abilities, and the origin of these. **** off with your useless replies in this topic, not only do they make no sense, they reek of bullshit.

I mean, honestly, what in the world can Spiderman do to cut Superman. Doomsday killed him, however, cuts and what-have-you would have appeared, and been inflicted after his solar reserves were depleted, once this happens his invulnerability is no longer existant. And I realise theoretically he is not invulnerable, but it is one of his abilities. Makes of that what you will.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2004 11:09 PM
kal-el
kryptonian slag

I don't know if he could anymore(stand in sun) but he use to pre-crisis days. What space suit?. Are you talking about the one he wears in the cartoon or something?He cant breathe in space you're right, but he can hold his breath for ages. Im sure that the sun isn't hot enough to melt his body though.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2004 11:11 PM
kal-el is currently offline Click here to Send kal-el a Private Message Find more posts by kal-el Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rasta

He's heat-resistant, while I do not believe he could stay in the sun forever, he could stay in there.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2004 11:16 PM
kal-el
kryptonian slag

Yeah-deffo agreed! He won't ever leave the kitchen if it gets too hot!

Old Post Apr 14th, 2004 11:19 PM
Wynndar
ThunderCat

i dont want to apply real life physics to a comic book...however, heat is not the most powerful characteristic of the Sun, Gravity is, the sun has enough gravity to hold all of our planets in orbit...that means that someone flying through would be exposing themselves to some unbelievable forces...if Superman were strong enough to fly through the gravitational fields present at the center of the sun (much more impressive than taking a punch from doomsday) he would also be able to easily bench press the planet earth....if this is the case he is just too powerful to be interesting...and i dont think getting punched by doomsday would have been enough to kill him either...

Old Post Apr 14th, 2004 11:26 PM
Wynndar is currently offline Click here to Send Wynndar a Private Message Find more posts by Wynndar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rasta

Well since real world physics do not apply; Your arguement has no meaning. I'm not trying to insult you here, but real world physics haven't exactly been an issue in many things comic book related, and while they have in certain circumstances, I've never heard anything about the gravity of the sun preventing him access.

Infact, comparing the gravity of the Sun, and the strength required to get into it to bench pressing the Earth isn't exactly valid. I've never seen anything that suggests this is the force required.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2004 11:29 PM
Never
Grammaton Cleric

quote:
Originally posted by Rasta
Well since real world physics do not apply

The maddening thing about physics in the comic book universe is that they do not apply real world physics on a consistent basis. In JLA #2 Flash mentions that mass increases exponentially towards infinity as one approaches the speed of light and used this knowledge to punch - and I do mean PUNCH - that alien speedster.

Then you have Superman creating sonic booms and shattering windows if he flies by quickly enough.

Aurora, for example, is limited to a certain speed considering it would wreak considerable havoc on her as well as the environment (they same the same thing about Flash).

They should either take it into consideration on a consistent basis or...I dunno...

Old Post Apr 14th, 2004 11:32 PM
Never is currently offline Click here to Send Never a Private Message Find more posts by Never Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wolverine8888
Restricted

Account Restricted

wait superman brobly coudl survive the sun cuz dident in new x-men wolverine went in to the sun and lived

Old Post Apr 14th, 2004 11:34 PM
kal-el
kryptonian slag

You cant really say that just coz a DD punch can kill him, it instantly means he isn't that strong.It could be that he is and so is Doomsday. We dont know that he can't bench the Earth either but dont aplly real physics, you'll drive yourself insane! You should read 'the science of superheros' though. You'll prob find it funny if you're a science buff. I did, it makes scientological mince meat out of all you're fave heroes but it's damn funny.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2004 11:36 PM
Rasta

quote:
Originally posted by Never
The maddening thing about physics in the comic book universe is that they do not apply real world physics on a consistent basis. In JLA #2 Flash mentions that mass increases exponentially towards infinity as one approaches the speed of light and used this knowledge to punch - and I do mean PUNCH - that alien speedster.

Then you have Superman creating sonic booms and shattering windows if he flies by quickly enough.

Aurora, for example, is limited to a certain speed considering it would wreak considerable havoc on her as well as the environment (they same the same thing about Flash).

They should either take it into consideration on a consistent basis or...I dunno...

My thoughts too, I hope I made it clear that this is the case, and they're not consistently enforced in the comic book world, rather than none at all. They should either do it, or not, after all, comics are just fantasy, and while I think certain things should be taken into account, it's not the real world so they should have different physics? I have no idea what I'm trying to say here.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2004 11:38 PM
Rasta

quote:
Originally posted by wolverine8888
wait superman brobly coudl survive the sun cuz dident in new x-men wolverine went in to the sun and lived

Wolverine went into the sun?

LMFAO!

Old Post Apr 14th, 2004 11:40 PM
kal-el
kryptonian slag

It can still count as science fiction therefore. H.G. Wells 'Time Machine' -considered one of the greatest works of sci-fi but it was still time travel- which aint never gonna happen.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2004 11:41 PM
Never
Grammaton Cleric

quote:
Originally posted by Rasta
Wolverine went into the sun?

LMFAO!

See what I mean (I already know who wrote it)?

Magneto (Xorn) SET Jean Grey and Wolverine up and sent them both hurtling towards the sun. Wolverine DIED, for all intents and purposes. Jean Grey is still experimenting with the Phoenix Force on a molecular level.

SHE reconstructed Wolverine, and I can write the exact words if you like.

His healing factor did NOT do it.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2004 11:55 PM
Never is currently offline Click here to Send Never a Private Message Find more posts by Never Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote