KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » The Runaways

The Runaways
Started by: TheVaultDweller

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

The Runaways

I mentioned it in another thread, but figured I might as well make a new one for it, seeing as it doesn't have one (as far as I am aware). Basically, a show based on the Marvel comic, The Runaways, is in the works, and will be aired on Hulu. The actual Runaways team, as well as members of the Pride, have already been cast:

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/8...s-cast-revealed

http://deadline.com/2017/02/marvels...lot-1201907267/

Old Post Feb 10th, 2017 08:36 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Nice.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2017 10:12 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Old Post Oct 18th, 2017 04:36 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

My hopes for this are lower than Trump's approval ratings

Old Post Oct 18th, 2017 04:57 AM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

The trailers for both this and Cloak & Dagger have been extremely underwhelming. Marvel seems to be floundering a bit on the TV front, with the dismal reception of shows like Inhumans and Iron Fist, The Defenders getting mixed reviews, and now the trailers for the new stuff hardly inspiring confidence. Only thing that still looks promising is The Punisher.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2017 05:00 AM
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

The Defenders has positive reviews

But yeah they don't look promising

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Oct 18th, 2017 07:16 AM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

The Defenders did have positive reviews from a lot of places, but it also had plenty of criticism as well. It generally wasn't as well received as DD S1&2, JJ or even LC.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2017 08:51 AM
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Started off pretty well, I thought. Spent a bit too much time on the parents for my taste but had to establish them as characters, I suppose, rather than just generic evil parental figures. Hope they focus a bit more on the kids from Ep 4 onward - I got a nice Breakfast Club vibe from them.

Both the writing and directing seemed a step up from Inhumans, at least.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 07:38 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I watched the first episode at a friend's place. Thought it was alright, even if the teen angst vibe got a bit heavy at times. Had enough going for it that I will give it another episode at least.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 07:56 AM
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
I watched the first episode at a friend's place. Thought it was alright, even if the teen angst vibe got a bit heavy at times. Had enough going for it that I will give it another episode at least.

Gets a bit better with the teen angst once they start focusing less on Amy's death on more on the freaky shit going on. So far I prefer it to The Gifted where I'd get rid of everyone except Blink and Proudstar and get someone else to direct it.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2017 08:09 AM
wakkawakkawakka

I'm kind of surprised to see the somewhat positive reception behind this. Especially since the show is 3 episodes in and the characters still haven't actually "ran away" yet.

That and there isn't any really path to connect with any of the characters as, aside from there parents, they've yet to move beyond the rich LA millennial kids. Even the one mutant in the show doesn't have much to warrant investment as of now IMO.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2017 09:17 PM
wakkawakkawakka is currently offline Click here to Send wakkawakkawakka a Private Message Find more posts by wakkawakkawakka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tkitna

First 3 episodes were awesome in my opinion. I'm hooked.

By Stoic

Old Post Nov 26th, 2017 09:11 AM
tkitna is currently offline Click here to Send tkitna a Private Message Find more posts by tkitna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
I'm kind of surprised to see the somewhat positive reception behind this. Especially since the show is 3 episodes in and the characters still haven't actually "ran away" yet.

That and there isn't any really path to connect with any of the characters as, aside from there parents, they've yet to move beyond the rich LA millennial kids. Even the one mutant in the show doesn't have much to warrant investment as of now IMO.

Eh, I personally haven't enjoyed it as much as some others seemed to have, but I thought it was alright. Definitely a step up from Inhumans. My biggest gripe is them focusing on a few things that I don't really give two shits about (like which parents are secretly banging behind their partners' backs). But hey, maybe that thread will have a payoff down the line.

I am curious to see the approach they are going to take with the Staff of One. Seems magic-y so far, but also slightly different to the comics.

I do find the positive critical reception kind of amusing, considering one of the writers on this was also a writer on Iron Fist, and we know what the critics thought of that.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2017 03:35 AM
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
I do find the positive critical reception kind of amusing, considering one of the writers on this was also a writer on Iron Fist, and we know what the critics thought of that.

Personally, my biggest problem with Iron Fist wasn't the writing: It was the fact they got someone who had never set foot in a dojo to play arguably the greatest martial artist in the Marvelverse and he was so awkward and unconvincing I wanted to skip his fighting scenes - and ffs, if you don't want to watch Iron Fist for the fighting scenes then really, what's the point?

Old Post Nov 27th, 2017 06:02 AM
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

No thanks to this crap

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Nov 27th, 2017 09:00 AM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Tell me they didn't f*ck up The Pride and just make them seedy business people who are evil. I want time travelers and evil wizards.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2017 01:38 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by Surtur
Tell me they didn't f*ck up The Pride and just make them seedy business people who are evil. I want time travelers and evil wizards.

Well, they are pretty much all in charge of big companies/projects, which gives their kids the rich lifestyle they live. But no, it's more than just run-of-the-mill corrupt business people. They actually went pretty much all in, and even added [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Old Lace, the genetically engineered dinosaur.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2017 02:18 AM
Dr Will Hatch

I'm a huge fan of the comics and therefore was really scared to watch this show because I thought they would fu.ck it up, and it turned out my fears were justified. This show bears almost nothing in common with the comic. For me, this show is just as bad of an adaptation as The Dark Tower movie was for that book series.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2017 07:03 AM
Dr Will Hatch is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Will Hatch a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Will Hatch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Will Hatch

Originally posted by Surtur

Yeah, they fu.cked up a lot. The parents pose no resemblance to how they were in the comics. The only good one is James Marsters and the guy who plays Alex's dad. The rest suck.

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2017 07:04 AM
Dr Will Hatch is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Will Hatch a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Will Hatch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Ha, TOAA finally made his appearance in The Runaways this week.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2017 02:24 PM