KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Harry Potter » Gandalf the White against Voldemort

Gandalf the White against Voldemort
Started by: srandle317

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (18): « First ... « 14 15 [16] 17 18 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Maikahyandowen
Entropy

sometimes, for the greater good, sacrifices must be made. if defeating Voldy means Harry has to watch, then so be it.

Old Post Mar 16th, 2004 04:18 PM
Maikahyandowen is currently offline Click here to Send Maikahyandowen a Private Message Find more posts by Maikahyandowen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Unknown
Anomaly

quote:
Originally posted by Aldaron
Hmmm of course Voldy wasn't killed. Why? "There are much worse things then death"-A.D., Book V. Have you ever thought that Lily and James don't like killing someone even Voldy, espcially with their own son watching?

They wanted Voldy dead... the death spell was deflected back on him, and if I remember correctly, he says he should have died.

"The MTV Movie Awards are a systemic anomaly inherent to the programming of the Matrix. Although the transport process has altered your consciousness, you irrevocably remain human. Ergo, concordantly, vis-a-vis... You know what? I have no idea what the hell I'm saying. I just thought it would make me sound cool."
-The Architect AKA Larry

Old Post Mar 17th, 2004 09:31 PM
The Unknown is currently offline Click here to Send The Unknown a Private Message Find more posts by The Unknown Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Maikahyandowen
Entropy

obviously, Voldy doesn't die easily. Harry's got his work cut out for him.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2004 11:03 PM
Maikahyandowen is currently offline Click here to Send Maikahyandowen a Private Message Find more posts by Maikahyandowen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Aldaron

quote:
Originally posted by The Unknown
They wanted Voldy dead... the death spell was deflected back on him, and if I remember correctly, he says he should have died.
True, he also said that he took measures to keep to pro-long his life in case that what happened happened.

Oooo, is there ye gold behind this link?

Old Post Mar 18th, 2004 03:05 AM
Aldaron is currently offline Click here to Send Aldaron a Private Message Find more posts by Aldaron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Maikahyandowen
Entropy

so no ordinary person can kill him then.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2004 03:07 AM
Aldaron

quote:
Originally posted by Maikahyandowen
so no ordinary person can kill him then.
Gandalf the White is no ordinary person. wink lol.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2004 03:16 AM
Aldaron is currently offline Click here to Send Aldaron a Private Message Find more posts by Aldaron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Maikahyandowen
Entropy

nor is he a person. or human, i should say.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2004 03:28 AM
Razul

Gandalf would destroy voldemort...

Old Post Mar 18th, 2004 10:43 AM
Razul is currently offline Click here to Send Razul a Private Message Find more posts by Razul Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Maikahyandowen
Entropy

but they are from two differant worlds. a wizard in Harry's world is drasticly differant form a wizard in Gandalf's world. we can't know what would happen if my some miracle they managed to meet each other

Old Post Mar 18th, 2004 04:21 PM
tigress
Slash Queen Senior Member

calm down people its a hypothetical question if they had a chance to a duel to the death who would win

Gryffindors Official Hug Giver To All !!

UNI, DRACO MALFOY, ROGUE, MAIK, LIANSLO, AUROR_CHK, TASSIE MUSC
Gryffindor Prefect.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2004 07:34 PM
tigress is currently offline Click here to Send tigress a Private Message Find more posts by tigress Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Maikahyandowen
Entropy

oh. well, Gandalf of course.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2004 07:57 PM
Earnur
King of Gondor

Excuse me if this is obvious. Gandalf would win. Perhaps Gandalf doesn't walk around cleaning dishes with magic, but that is because Gandalf's "magic" has a profundity that Voldemort's does not.

Gandalf is a Maiar, and sees at once two planes: the mere physical that we (and Voldemort) inhabit, and the spiritual. In a sense, this is a type of "forseeing", although that is not so. Gandalf can sense that something will happen, but not be sure that it will. It is more a spirituality or godliness than a simple fortunetelling, of the type of Sybill Trelawney.

Yes, Saruman does manage to defeat Gandalf at that point, but in the books (not the way the movie made it seem) it was because both Gandalf and Saruman new who was more powerful.

Saruman was the leader of Gandalf's order, and one of the most powerful of the Maiar. But Gandalf, or Olorin, was the wisest and greatest.

And also, how could Voldemort win when Gandalf, being truly wise, is able to see that death, in truth, is merely a natural extension of life. Voldemort could not win if death, to Gandalf, is not defeat, whereas Gandalf could, since death is to Voldemort the ultimate defeat.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2004 10:42 PM
Earnur is currently offline Click here to Send Earnur a Private Message Find more posts by Earnur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Unknown
Anomaly

All Voldy would have to do is just say the death spell at the same instant that he apparates behind Gandalf.

"The MTV Movie Awards are a systemic anomaly inherent to the programming of the Matrix. Although the transport process has altered your consciousness, you irrevocably remain human. Ergo, concordantly, vis-a-vis... You know what? I have no idea what the hell I'm saying. I just thought it would make me sound cool."
-The Architect AKA Larry

Old Post Mar 19th, 2004 01:07 AM
The Unknown is currently offline Click here to Send The Unknown a Private Message Find more posts by The Unknown Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Aldaron

quote:
Originally posted by The Unknown
All Voldy would have to do is just say the death spell at the same instant that he apparates behind Gandalf.
It wouldn't matter, Gandalf would disarmed Voldy before you could say 'Voldy wins'. Gandalf can see Voldy even if apparates and is not visiable.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2004 01:15 AM
Maikahyandowen
Entropy

and Gandalf had a Silmaril. Voldy doesn't have anything like that on his side.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2004 04:25 AM
Earnur
King of Gondor

Gandalf had a Silmaril? No way. Gandalf never had a silmaril. The only Silmaril in existence during the Second and Third Ages (while Gandalf was in Middle Earth), was Earendil's, and he was flying about in the heavens. But correct, Voldemort's death spell wouldn't work.

Unknown, if you ares till not convinced, take a look at the last point I make in my post:
"And also, how could Voldemort win when Gandalf, being truly wise, is able to see that death, in truth, is merely a natural extension of life. Voldemort could not win if death, to Gandalf, is not defeat, whereas Gandalf could, since death is to Voldemort the ultimate defeat."

I think that is a legitimate point. If Gandalf does not see "death" as a true defeat, how could Voldemort "defeat" him with a death spell.

Just a point, I think there are arguments for both sides (although those for Gandalf winning against Voldemort seem better to me.)

Old Post Mar 19th, 2004 07:30 PM
Earnur is currently offline Click here to Send Earnur a Private Message Find more posts by Earnur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Maikahyandowen
Entropy

he did too have a silmarill. he wore it just befor they went to the grey havens. Elrond and Galadriel had the others

Old Post Mar 19th, 2004 07:58 PM
The Inkeeper

of course gandalf didnt have a silmaril!!!!

dont be stupid!!!!

there were only ever three

one was cast into the sea by maglos
one into a chasm in the earth, by maeglin
one went back to valinor with earendil

gandalf never ever ever had a silmaril

the most important thing he had was the ring of fire

Im Back happy

Old Post Mar 19th, 2004 08:42 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

and the silmaril were only in existanse in the FIRST age

Im Back happy

Old Post Mar 19th, 2004 08:44 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Unknown
Anomaly

quote:
Originally posted by Earnur
Gandalf had a Silmaril? No way. Gandalf never had a silmaril. The only Silmaril in existence during the Second and Third Ages (while Gandalf was in Middle Earth), was Earendil's, and he was flying about in the heavens. But correct, Voldemort's death spell wouldn't work.

Unknown, if you ares till not convinced, take a look at the last point I make in my post:
"And also, how could Voldemort win when Gandalf, being truly wise, is able to see that death, in truth, is merely a natural extension of life. Voldemort could not win if death, to Gandalf, is not defeat, whereas Gandalf could, since death is to Voldemort the ultimate defeat."

I think that is a legitimate point. If Gandalf does not see "death" as a true defeat, how could Voldemort "defeat" him with a death spell.

Just a point, I think there are arguments for both sides (although those for Gandalf winning against Voldemort seem better to me.)

Do you mean that after he's killed, he'd return?

-The Architect AKA Larry

Old Post Mar 19th, 2004 09:37 PM