KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Role Playing » Star Wars: Role Playing » RP General Discussion

RP General Discussion
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (685): « First ... « 533 534 [535] 536 537 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Peach
mordrem

JOIN US.

*cough*

big grin

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 02:54 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Oh, I didn't mean I'd join this roleplaying forum. But, ya know, somewhere cool.

...also, we shall see. Too many balls in the air in my life atm. Things settle down for me by mid-summer though, so maybe in a few weeks. I would take this sh*t seriously.

Last edited by Digi on Jun 9th, 2010 at 04:09 AM

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 04:04 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

I'm sure you'd be welcome on either team, Dark or Light. yes

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 05:56 AM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0424.html

quote:
A good GM will use things from their everyday experiences to provide challenges to the players. Stop and think about something that annoys you or causes you problems in real life. Then think about how you can use elements of that as part of a gaming obstacle or encounter. Play up the difficulties and frustration to a level where it becomes a serious hindrance or even danger to the PCs.

Imagine sending an Imperial auditor after a successful group of adventurers to go through their treasure and assess taxation. Or having a group of space traders deal with a full Customs inspection, import licence check, and so on. Or have them kept awake all night when camping in the wilderness by swarms of caterpillars constantly crawling over their faces.

Seriously, that last one is no fun whatsoever.

Ush, I thought of you.

...evil bastard.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 03:59 PM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

So did I, upon reading that.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 04:00 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Haha I must of have missed that one

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 04:03 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

quote: (post)
Originally posted by REXXXX
I'm sure you'd be welcome on either team, Dark or Light. yes

There's teams?!

Sign me up as bounty hunter. I'll work for whoever pays me the most.

evil face

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 07:31 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Oh dear, I just discovered the character creation page. This is going to be too much fun.

{edit} I have questions, but I'm trying to slowly uncover the answers instead of inundating you guys with what are undoubtedly youngling-level inquiries. I have, however, discovered that Bounty Hunters as such don't exist within the framework of Ush's game (alas), which seems to be the most popular atm.

Last edited by Digi on Jun 9th, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 10:11 PM
REXXXX
Networking

You could always have it as your background if you were a Renegade or... pretty much any Dark Sider. I know a few people have done so, like Kaliero here.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 10:32 PM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Hm. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll continue to give it some thought while browsing the options.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2010 10:39 PM
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

Yeah, you can always have been a bounty hunter, instead of being one.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2010 12:32 AM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

And feel free to ask any dumb question you like. We've all had our share of those moments, especially if you are new to role-playing in general.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2010 12:54 AM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I think I have an acceptable compromise. The details of character creation will still require some time for me, but I have a general outline for a backstory and whatnot. Though no, I don't think he/she will end up as Sith.

And thanks tpt. I'm sure I'll have plenty.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2010 02:22 AM
Peach
mordrem

Well, that's good, as we're not Sith stick out tongue

Many of us Darkies would like to become Sith, but yeah.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2010 02:40 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Peach
Well, that's good, as we're not Sith stick out tongue

Many of us Darkies would like to become Sith, but yeah.

Oh shit. I thought all you guys WERE Sith, like you and Kaliero and Newjak. I was going to kill you. Damnit.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2010 03:00 AM
Peach
mordrem

Haha, no. We're just Dark Jedi, some of which want to be Sith, some of which want to rule the galaxy, and some of which simply want to break things. And most of us don't get along very well happy

Old Post Jun 10th, 2010 03:03 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Oh. Well alright then. My plans, they remain intact. I was thinking Dark Side meant Sith automatically, I didn't bother to make the distinction.

Last edited by Digi on Jun 10th, 2010 at 04:21 AM

Old Post Jun 10th, 2010 04:08 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Ok, initial question time. Thanks you for any and all help, and sorry in advance for the number of questions I'm likely to ask:

1. How many merits do we get upon character creation? I'm sure it's listed I just can't find it. Many templates list "gains an extra merit" as well, but what's the base before those additions?

2. The rules cover schticks and force powers well, but I can't find the description of this stuff:
Jedi Lore:
Languages:
Savoir Faire:
Combat:
Persuade:
Medicine:
Fix-it:
...and what exactly each of those do. Obviously I can guess accurately, but I haven't found a list of abilities and modifiers from this list.

3. Each template is given Blade and Combat Schtick numbers to choose. But not Pilot Schticks. How do we obtain Pilot Schticks, or are they part of Combat or Blade?

4. Finally, I've seen templates that are supposedly greater and lesser fighters (we'll take Freelancer/Seeker for example, where FL should be the better fighter) yet there's something like this:
Freelancer:
Force Rating: 5
Force Attack: 7
Force Defence: 1
Allocate six points amongst Strength, Agility and Dexterity (max 5)
Allocate five points amongst Intelligence, Charisma and Perception (max 5)
FORCE POWERS: Push/Pull, Sense, Intuition; choose 5 others

Seeker:
Force Rating: 8
Force Attack: 8
Force Defence: 2
Allocate six points amongst Strength, Agility and Dexterity (max 5)
Allocate seven points amongst Intelligence, Charisma and Perception (max 5)
FORCE POWERS: Push/Pull, Sense, Intuition; choose 10 others

Now, I left out Schtick selection, which does heavily favor the Freelancer. But an eyeball test has me skeptical that it closes the gap on the lead that the supposedly-less-warrior Seeker has in these categories. Am I missing something? I know the classes need not be completely equal, but it would hurt to know I'm handicapping my character significantly for the sake of the RP element (and yes, I kinda like the RP of Freelancer, thus the question).

Last edited by Digi on Jun 10th, 2010 at 05:05 AM

Old Post Jun 10th, 2010 04:50 AM
Peach
mordrem

Merits - unless it says otherwise, you have three merits to spend by default.

Skills...there's descriptions of them somewhere, if it's not in the main rules thread it's in the character creation one. Yup, here it is.

Pilot and gun tricks (I hate the word 'schtick' and use it as little as possible stick out tongue) you only get if the template states you do. Some of them have them, some don't.

And as far as the Force numbers go, it's not hugely important. Each template will be better at something than another is, but they all largely balance out. Force rating basically just dictates how often you can use powers (not the basic ones, but the mastery powers), and certain rolls use that. Like, my character is a Pariah, the Dark Jedi equivalent of Freelancer, though I've bought my Force rating higher with experience. I'm not as good with the Force as, say, Zink or Melkor's characters, but it doesn't matter, because Rianna is ridiculously deadly with a lightsaber. Different skills and specializations is it, really.

(The system used to be different, and then the skill difference between a Swordsman template and the others was a bit more marked; I've been slightly of the opinion that with the current system, the Swordsmen don't stand out quite as much as they used to. However, when it comes to any sort of physical fighting, they are generally by far the best. I just miss how much more incredibly deadly I used to be stick out tongue)

Also, if you think Freelancer looks fun on the RP side of things, go read the description for Pariah stick out tongue I have far too much fun with it.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2010 05:26 AM
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

Lana pretty much got you covered, but I'd like to throw in, that while what you posted makes it seem like the seeker is not balanced, not everything is based off your force rating.
For example, your ability to use a lightsaber is your lightsaber rating plus whatever stat is highest, strength, agility or dexterity.
So the seeker has a lower lightsaber rating than the freelancer, so add that to the extra blade tricks and things like that, and you get someone who is pretty damn good at just slicing through a room of combat droids or something, where the seeker would be more apt to maybe hurl some objects at the droids, and then play some force-based mind games or something.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2010 06:02 AM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote