KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Role Playing » Star Wars: Role Playing » RP General Discussion

RP General Discussion
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (685): « First ... « 534 535 [536] 537 538 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bespin Bart
Buggy

Indeed. The Freelancer is going to be the one that goes chopping up everything. The Seeker is going to be the one with the instincts and advantages to more Force powers bring. It's pretty balanced. Where the Freelancer can rely on schticks to do awesome things, the Seeker can do more awesome things with the Force.

I will add that I've decided there's a curse on Freelancers. EVERY SINGLE FREELANCER we have had on the Renegades quits after anywhere from a week to an episode.

Either way, glad to have a Renegade, Digi! I dunno if we've ever talked but I know who you are and you seem pretty ambitious about it. smile Being the defacto leader of the Renegades in-game, I can help you with whatever you need and fill you in on the situation so you can match things up with us.

THIS IS WHAT WE'VE WAITED FOR
THIS IS IT, BOYS, THIS IS WAR!

Old Post Jun 10th, 2010 07:24 AM
Bespin Bart is currently offline Click here to Send Bespin Bart a Private Message Find more posts by Bespin Bart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

So true about the Freelancers. It's the dead opposite for the Darkies.

Also, fun fact since I've got a lot of free time on my hands this summer, I've been thinking about running a small one-shot episode from the official Star Wars RP, converted to Ush's system. Probably no more than five players.

My Jedi vs. Sith game is indefinitely on hold, for those that were involved. Probably until we hit another game drought with Ush's plot.

Last edited by REXXXX on Jun 10th, 2010 at 08:12 AM

Old Post Jun 10th, 2010 08:08 AM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Well, that's because us Darkies love destruction big grin

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Jun 10th, 2010 03:11 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Thank you to all for the help. I haven't been on all day, so I have no new questions, but my concerns have been allayed about Freelancer.

Mind you, I'm not definitely a Freelancer yet (I haven't even made a character, just browsed the forums a bunch), but it seems to fit best with my RP intention. I can almost assure you that I'll play a Renegade Light-Sider (and thus a hearty hello to Bart up there, and a wary eye at the Darkies). But I haven't made any decisions yet.

{edit} Just thought of this: is money accumulated? Jedi are ascetic, so I could see them not collecting anything. But do Darkies and such hoard treasure and credits and such.

Last edited by Digi on Jun 11th, 2010 at 12:53 AM

Old Post Jun 11th, 2010 12:40 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Darkies generally have barely enough money to live on. People tend to not like us much and won't work with us. We're kind of hunted by the Republic, and also have a habit of killing those who look the wrong way at us. We usually have to steal stuff to get by.

Though we did recently each get a decent chunk of change. So we actually do have some money right now stick out tongue As far as treasure goes...depends on what you'd call treasure. We have our own base which is protected by a shield generator, certainly rare enough. We have a Sith tablet, and some of us consider our lightsabers to be treasures.

Also, as far as getting used to things go, Rex does mini (in the sense that it's just you and maybe one other character) games that take place in the character's past, maybe you could see, when you have a character done, about doing that. Though I'll warn he can be pretty cruel. One of the ones he did for me, where my character was still a Padawan, was literally a case of "Let's see how many times we can nearly kill and torture the Padawan". Yeah. The other one he did for Rianna was probably worse.

Last edited by Peach on Jun 11th, 2010 at 01:23 AM

Old Post Jun 11th, 2010 01:18 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Well it's in the character's past, so you can't die, right? I'd be like "Ok, I fly into that star to hide from detection. I roll a 14 for stealth."

I'll do enough research to be ready for any size campaign (I hope). But I'm down for whatever. Awesome McPowerfulpants (working name, nothing final) is going to rock sh*t hard.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2010 02:12 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

...laughing out loud Nope, you can't die. Doesn't mean you can't get severely injured, though. I have sustained injuries in the retro games that, if not for that fact, I would have died.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2010 03:44 AM
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Peach
...laughing out loud Nope, you can't die. Doesn't mean you can't get severely injured, though. I have sustained injuries in the retro games that, if not for that fact, I would have died.
Same here

I'm sure Xavier has lost more fluids than should be possible for anything living big grin

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jun 11th, 2010 09:12 AM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

You, sir, still have a game running for Commander Janthis!

Old Post Jun 11th, 2010 09:15 AM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

quote: (post)
Originally posted by REXXXX
You, sir, still have a game running for Commander Janthis!
I know I know stick out tongue

I'll get back to it soon sometime. I've been kind of bogged down trying to find a job.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jun 11th, 2010 09:40 AM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Job hunting is pretty much the greatest thing ever. I had to do it back in October, it was pretty invigorating. Except not at all and I was so shit poor.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2010 10:06 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

I'm beginning my character sheet now. I'm sure it will need tweaks once it's finished, but the basics should all be there.

I have a busy week next week, but starting the week of the 21st I'll hopefully start contacting Ush/Rexx/others? about a possible spot in a campaign.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2010 06:02 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Question:

None of the templates that I can see have Pilot Schticks, nor do I see how to obtain Pilot skill. Where do I look to figure this out?

{edit} think I answered my own question: the first in each "group" (like Adventurer) can have Pilot skill. Can anyone else? Or is it limited to those templates only? I mean, how do other Renegades and Dark Jedi get around? Because the "Starship" Merit seems worthless to any other template, unless I'm missing something.

{edit 2} I see in the Archives that some people have the Starship Merit without a template that includes Pilot Schticks. So I assume they can fly it places, but just don't have any particular skills. Is this correct?

Last edited by Digi on Jun 11th, 2010 at 07:11 PM

Old Post Jun 11th, 2010 06:56 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Another Question:

Take this:
SWIFTNESS

Requirement: None

A great increase in your reaction times. With this power, it takes (effectively) no time to draw your Lightsabre, and the difficulty of all checks involving reactions is reduced by one (so normal reaction checks become Easy, and Hard ones become Normal)

MASTERY POWERS:

Strike: Use with a single melee attack to make that attack count all 1s as successes. Can be used after rolling the dice.

Evade: Use when being targeted by an enemy. His attack pool is halved (before Defence) this turn.

Dash: Move at double speed this turn. An Agility roll may be needed for difficult routes.

Now, 1 Force power in this will only get me Swiftness, and I owuld need 2 Force Power points to get any of the Mastery ones, yes? Also, if I did 2 points, would I get all 3 Mastery talents, or do each of them (Strike, Evade, Dash) require their own point?

Old Post Jun 11th, 2010 07:44 PM
REXXXX
Networking

To answer the Pilot question- some people get the Merit anticipating that they will use xp to buy the Pilot skill later. You don't need Pilot Schticks to fly a starship, they just make you able to do better things in one. Some people also take Allies for the same purpose of piloting for them when they are available.

My character, the Dark Sider equivalent of a Freelancer, started off totally unable to pilot but had a ship. He now has a Pilot schtick and some skill in piloting.

-

As for Swiftness, it is one Force power spend to get Swiftness, it is a second to Master it. When Mastered, you get all of the Masteries.

Which template did you pick?

Old Post Jun 11th, 2010 08:24 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

I'm a Freelancer. And thank you for the help. I still have to finalize my Force Powers, Merits, and a few details, but most of it is in place.

Along the piloting lines, one of my current Merits is an astromech droid Ally. I originally figured he'd be good for, say, hacking computer systems (though I don't really know that for sure, it was mostly just speculation). But might that be an acceptable pilot replacement that you mentioned?

Another question regarding my choice of race: There are some races that, frankly, have specific abilities that humans do not. The race I wish to choose has 1-2 of those, including natural low-level empathic powers. The fear is that I might look like I'm trying to cheat my way into some new power (albeit not a hugely powerful one). But my character's motivations and backstory are heavily influenced by his race, so that was the driving force behind my race decision, not trying to eek out some small advantage. So I guess it's not a question I'm asking but just a statement: I hope I can utilize such racial bonuses in the campaigns, but I certainly understand if I am not allowed to do so for play balancing reasons.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2010 10:07 PM
Peach
mordrem

There really aren't any racial/species bonuses. For the Original Trilogy game there's a Primitive Warrior template (think Wookiee, that sort of thing), but not for PT.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2010 10:30 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

That's basically what I figured. Thanks though.

I went ahead and sent Rex a rough draft of my whole thing. I suppose I'll unveil it once I work out a few of the kinks that I'm still obsessing over, or after I've gotten a second opinion from Ush. But I'm in no rush. In the meantime I get to try to make sense of the rules, so I know what exactly all the numbers and powers do.

I also realized that my character has some striking metaphoric (and sometimes literal) similarities to my main character in WoW. I tend to RP in much the same way regardless of the game I play, so I guess it shouldn't be a surprise. Still, I lol'd when I realized it was happening, then embarrasment 'd, then threw in a few obscure references to make even more similarities.

geek

Old Post Jun 12th, 2010 04:29 AM
REXXXX
Networking

Most of our characters are pretty humanoid. Ush granted Xeth the use of an Alien Schtick as a present for long play. It'd take awhile to earn.
The best things usually do.

I'll give it a look, Digi.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2010 06:04 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

First wave of revisions after Rexx's comments, and I sent it to Ush to have a look. Sadly, I don't think the name Awesome McPowerpants is going to survive the approval process. Maybe I'll turn to the Dark Side and make it my Sith name...Darth McPowerpants. Has a certain ring to it.

Having an immense amount of fun with character creation though. And the limitations in initial characters compared to my vision for him has helped to give me some direction in what powers/abilities/etc. I want to pursue first as I begin campaigning. Or at least, I hope as I begin campaigning. Rexx said he might get something together for me, but we'll see I guess. Still gotta learn all the combat rules. Damn things are dense.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2010 04:41 AM