KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Destiny

Destiny
Started by: s|m

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
draku

Destiny

Do you guys believe in destiny? Do you think it is posible that our future is somehow already planned?
A few months ago I went to an old friend who is very experienced in reading tarot cards. I made fun of it at first, but she told me stuff about my future (quite a lot of times, which actually came true), and I was like blink
This is REALLY freaky!

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 04:38 PM
draku is currently offline Click here to Send draku a Private Message Find more posts by draku Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Papaumau
Man of the world

That's funny....

I was just talking about tarot in my Astrology thread !

I think that what you are talking about here is "FATE"

If we are fated to only follow a predestined path then why do we bother to get stressed-out with exams and selection-boards and trying to impress our employers ?

The thing about fate, ( if you believe in fate that is ), is that it doesn't matter what you do; if you are fated to finish up living in a cardboard box under a bridge then that is what will happen.

I think that very few of us must believe in fate or destiny as most of us try like bears to be successful in life and would be disappointed in ourselves if we failed our peers and our parents and our closest friends.

We are too driven to care what people think of us to give ourselves up to destiny.

Well...that's what I think anyway....so there !

Click my sig'-pic' to go to my forum
and attached consumer website

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 05:01 PM
Papaumau is currently offline Click here to Send Papaumau a Private Message Find more posts by Papaumau Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ssj4goku

sorry i dont believe in destiny i believe soly in faith and gods will

MEEEE MEEEE MEEEE, and ME TOO
Agent Smith Matrix Reloaded

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 05:13 PM
ssj4goku is currently offline Click here to Send ssj4goku a Private Message Find more posts by ssj4goku Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Papaumau
Man of the world

This old chestnut again....."I believe in faith and God's will" !

If what happens to you is "God's will" then you are destined to be your God's puppet and nothing you do will change that.

That's
fate !

Actually... I believe that they say in The Bible that God gave humanity FREE WILL and - if you believe that - that means that we make our own mistakes and what happens to us is in our own hands and nobody else's.

If you believe THAT then you must believe that we make our own destiny and that your God is simply a voyeur.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 05:25 PM
Papaumau is currently offline Click here to Send Papaumau a Private Message Find more posts by Papaumau Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cowboyography
Eye Of God

"There is no fate but what we make"

Sarah Conner

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 05:28 PM
Cowboyography is currently offline Click here to Send Cowboyography a Private Message Find more posts by Cowboyography Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

I agree with this Sarah Conner... I've never liked the idea that I'm not in control of my own life.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 06:36 PM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

I believe in destiny to a point. I believe there are set fates in our lives, but we control which fate we obtain by the choices we make in our lives.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 06:48 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
draku

Ok, i agree; but i still dont understand how some people can predict what will happen in your life months later.
Anyway, think of the people who are born disabled, handicaped, or the ones that die at birth. Do you think that is their choise?

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 07:12 PM
draku is currently offline Click here to Send draku a Private Message Find more posts by draku Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

Hmm, ever stopped to think that maybe it's coincidence that these people "predict" something that then actually happens?

No, it's not their choice to be handicapped or whatever... Doesn't mean it's destiny though. It's not the wrath of the gods causing it to happen. It just sucks ass.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 07:23 PM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
draku

ok... whatever....

Old Post Aug 14th, 2004 07:32 PM
Emma718
posthuman

i believe in destiny, but we have to make our destiny come true!

Old Post Aug 15th, 2004 10:50 AM
Emma718 is currently offline Click here to Send Emma718 a Private Message Find more posts by Emma718 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

quote:
Originally posted by Darth Revan
Hmm, ever stopped to think that maybe it's coincidence that these people "predict" something that then actually happens?

No, it's not their choice to be handicapped or whatever... Doesn't mean it's destiny though. It's not the wrath of the gods causing it to happen. It just sucks ass.
No, but then again thats you showing pity on the handicaped. Handicaped people can still live long fruitfull lives through their choices. There choices of life which might inspire another person to make a choice. Let me give you an example of what i mean. A woman born with no arms or legs, (True story mind you) Lives an every day fruitfull life, yes her day is much more complicated and frustrating than ours, but thorugh will power and choice she struggles through the day to do her daily needs such as make her bed, feed her animals, and make her breakfest. Yes she has assistance from an aid, but the majority of the work she does on her own with her nubs, and prostetics. She competes in special olympics every year, and gives back to the community as much as possible, in volunteer work, and speaking out about her disease.

Now would you say that choice had no effect on this womans destiny? Whereas the other person born with the same disease refuses to live, spites God and lives in an institution for the rest of there lives. Yes Choice is always apparant even if your to scared to take it because you believe, everything just happens with a spin of the wheel and if you lose, then you get the shit end of the stick.Choice is your's thats our freedom concsious decesion making leads us to our destiny's, where ever they may lead, thats the unknown and i'm going for, but thats where my dreams lay so i will struggle to obtain them.no matter what happens. Unless fate has other plans, but i dont know because that is still the unknown

Last edited by jinXed by JaNx on Aug 15th, 2004 at 11:08 AM

Old Post Aug 15th, 2004 11:02 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Papaumau
Man of the world

Miffed Pardonnez-moi ?

quote:
Originally posted by Emma718
i believe in destiny, but we have to make our destiny come true!

Sorry Emma...

But that is an oxymoron.

If a thing is destined to happen you cannot change it by your efforts !

Old Post Aug 15th, 2004 01:21 PM
Cepheus

quote:
Originally posted by ssj4goku
sorry i dont believe in destiny i believe soly in faith and gods will

same here

Old Post Aug 15th, 2004 02:40 PM
Cepheus is currently offline Click here to Send Cepheus a Private Message Find more posts by Cepheus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

quote:
Originally posted by Cowboyography
"There is no fate but what we make"

Sarah Conner

In this case I have to agree with her...
I absolutely don't believe in fate. The idea itself is imo kinda strange... why should somebody take the efforts to plan your life for you? blink
And if fate existed, life definitely wouldn't be worth living erm

I also don't think our life is the product of pure coincidence though; it's rather predictable because of what we are, our character as individuals and also as a society, that makes it possible to see things coming - for those knowledgeable enough.
All our choices and decisions are in some way biassed and hardly ever "free", but that doesn't make a Fate - nobody imprisons us in our lives to do what we're supposed to do; we do that ourselves, by being bound to what always was... our hope can only be to find out why and what for we do what we do - causality and finality.

Maybe there is somebody who already knows what we're going to choose each time we have to decide simply because he knows us better than we do; but I doubt that we will find our future in playing cards blink if so, our existence would be kinda sad no expression
quote:
Originally posted by Papaumau
The thing about fate, ( if you believe in fate that is ), is that it doesn't matter what you do; if you are fated to finish up living in a cardboard box under a bridge then that is what will happen.

That'd be kinda silly as then we would have neither a personality nor a reason to live blink

It's maybe not always our own choice what happens to us, but it all has its reason in somebody's choice who chose without being fully aware of the consequences of his choice.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2004 04:17 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Choices are always free. if you cant understand this you cant understand life. This is what we are. humans are freedom of choice. this is what seperates us from everything else in the world.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2004 05:21 PM
Exabyte

quote:
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Choices are always free. if you cant understand this you cant understand life. This is what we are. humans are freedom of choice. this is what seperates us from everything else in the world.

No, I don't understand life. It's kinda hard to do so no expression I can only try to understand the reasons

Depends on your definition of "free".
Sure, theoretically, we could always choose what we want; but doesn't reality show us that this doesn't work?
We are always bound to some direction by things like morals, laws, prejudices, false knowledge et cetera;
If we had the possibility to really always choose freely, the human race would already have killed its own existence

I think it's impossible to decide about something without being biassed and influenced by others. We may tell ourselves that we can, but in my opinion that would be lying, denying our limits.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2004 05:31 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

quote:
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
No, but then again thats you showing pity on the handicaped. Handicaped people can still live long fruitfull lives through their choices. There choices of life which might inspire another person to make a choice. Let me give you an example of what i mean. A woman born with no arms or legs, (True story mind you) Lives an every day fruitfull life, yes her day is much more complicated and frustrating than ours, but thorugh will power and choice she struggles through the day to do her daily needs such as make her bed, feed her animals, and make her breakfest. Yes she has assistance from an aid, but the majority of the work she does on her own with her nubs, and prostetics. She competes in special olympics every year, and gives back to the community as much as possible, in volunteer work, and speaking out about her disease.

Now would you say that choice had no effect on this womans destiny? Whereas the other person born with the same disease refuses to live, spites God and lives in an institution for the rest of there lives. Yes Choice is always apparant even if your to scared to take it because you believe, everything just happens with a spin of the wheel and if you lose, then you get the shit end of the stick.Choice is your's thats our freedom concsious decesion making leads us to our destiny's, where ever they may lead, thats the unknown and i'm going for, but thats where my dreams lay so i will struggle to obtain them.no matter what happens. Unless fate has other plans, but i dont know because that is still the unknown

When did I ever say handicapped people can't live full lives? When did I even imply that?

Old Post Aug 15th, 2004 05:39 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

To add to what rage said:

Fate exists in the sense that some of the choices or actions already passed will affect the way certain things happen in the future. Like if you get great grades in university, chances are that it's a certainty you'll get a really good job. That's because through one action you've cemented the coming about of something that will happen in the future.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Aug 15th, 2004 05:40 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Papaumau
Man of the world

Exabyte......

I said that if you believe in fate and you are fated to finish up living in a cardboard box under a bridge then there is no point in trying to usurp what fate has in store for you !

This means that if you believe in fate then you are a lost to your own fatalistic destiny.

This an argument AGAINST the existence of fate not a support of it !

There is one way that you can beat fate, ( if you believe in fate - which I don't ), and that is the parallel universe theory where by taking a sidestep in the space-time-continuum you can move over to become ANOTHER version of you that has a different fateline altogether from you in this timeline.

How you get into another timeline is another story !

But Hey... as I don't believe in fate the argument for me is moot !

Old Post Aug 15th, 2004 05:40 PM