KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Star Wars Prequels - Love 'em or Hate 'em?

Star Wars Prequels - Love 'em or Hate 'em?
Started by: Prozak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
queeq
Chaos

Well, THX, American Graffiti and ANH are well made films. I don't understand it really...

Old Post Nov 4th, 2004 04:34 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Prozak
Bad Mother F****r

If i'm not mistaken, American Graffiti is still the most profitable film ever made; recouping $50 for every $1 spent on production. Which is i suppose something to be proud of.

Yes it's a mystery how he could make 3 great films and then produce turds. I think he's bought into his own legend a little too much. If you read some books about his early work he wasn't afraid to give his actors a little licence with his characters but nowadays after reading some stories from the production of the prequels, (and hearing a tale direct; a friend of mine was an extra in Tunisia when they were filming AOTC), Georges direction has one command, "my way or the highway".

Old Post Nov 4th, 2004 05:29 PM
Click here to Send Prozak a Private Message Find more posts by Prozak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

laughing out loud

And even quantity is no criterium for a filmmaker. Terence Malick only made three in almost 30 years. Kubrick made nowhere near as many films as Spielberg, and yet they are all considered great filmmakers, just like George until he made TPM... (or Howard the Duck for that matter stick out tongue ).

Old Post Nov 5th, 2004 08:55 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Prozak
Bad Mother F****r

Laugh

big grin Howard the Duck...now he just HAS to admit that was a stinker.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2004 02:26 PM
Click here to Send Prozak a Private Message Find more posts by Prozak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I even think he does.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2004 03:48 PM
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

You see, I like the prequels better then the OT. (My opinion of course.) wink

I like George.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2004 09:39 PM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lyn
Jedi_Chick

I agree with Sith; I like the PT more. That's not to say I don't love the OT films because I do, I think they're incredible.
There are just different things in the PT that appeal to me. I, like JP, love the idea of being told the back story and meeting all these characters we'd only heard briefly about. I know that some of the acting is horrible and the directing isn't the best and sometimes the CGI stuff features a little too strongly but that doesn't make me cringe when I watch the films. I love them.
My points aren't stong enough to be valid really because I don't have single reasons on why these films mean so much to me. They just do.

Thanks Ben-Kenobi for the Sig!

Old Post Nov 6th, 2004 05:43 AM
Click here to Send Lyn a Private Message Find more posts by Lyn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

I can't understand why anyone could prefer the prequels over the OT.

The OT are timeless classics.

Where are the catchphrases apart from the re-hashed ones)? Where are the plot twists? Where's the brilliant subtelty in the designs of the ships and universe? Where's the inter-weaving, deep, intriguing and yet completely comprehensive plot? Where's the charming banter between characters? Why are the Expanded Universe books better?

Old Post Nov 6th, 2004 10:32 PM
Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Prozak
Bad Mother F****r

Barf

"Sandstorms are very, very dangerous"

Find me one line in the OT thats anywhere near as cack as that one.

The OT have become cinematic legends; i don't see that being the case for the prequels. All i see is a very clever marketing ploy.

Last edited by Prozak on Nov 7th, 2004 at 12:25 AM

Old Post Nov 7th, 2004 12:22 AM
Red Superfly

Actually, there is "wipe them out, all of them", which i'll admit is pretty cool. But that's IT! They even used it in the trailers, so it's hardly along the lines of "I am your father". There are no DEFINING lines that add an "oomph" to the story.

No dialogue seems to have any impact. It's just exposition (in a Star Wars movie of all things - midichlorians, Sith Lord explantions etc etc and in ROTS we'll have exposition about the ghosts) and really rubbish dialogue.

And why is it always the Emperor that has to save the day with his catchphrases?

By the end of ROTS we'll have "Wipe them out" and "Lord Vader......riiise". Which are pretty cool, but it's a shame when Obi-Wan and Yoda are reduced to spitting out old catchphrases in an almost caracatured manner, ESPECIALLY Yoda.

I mostly blame the crappy scripts ("I truly deeply, love you" - blurgh!), the reliance on CGI to tell the story, and the wasted potential in the brilliant actors that are cast.

Revenge Of The Sith looks brilliant, but it's still a good 1/3 of a Trilogy that's mostly suck-ass.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2004 12:33 AM
Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

quote:
Originally posted by Prozak
"Sandstorms are very, very dangerous"

Find me one line in the OT thats anywhere near as cack as that one.

Well, do remember that he's only 10 years old. It's likely he'd say something like that. stick out tongue But yes, that was a bad line in general, I'll admit.

I like George.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2004 03:28 AM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Did you ever see him in Jingle All the Way ? Not a great film, but his acting stands out by far in comparison to TPM. And tahtw as even shot BEFORE TPM... So the boy can do it...

Old Post Nov 8th, 2004 08:35 AM
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

I only like the prequels cause Ewan McGregor is in them----love

and I suppose each prequel that comes out I keep hoping it will be SUPER- AOTC was way way better than P. Menace - Hayden Christensen did a good job at whinning and showing good emotion..

Old Post Nov 8th, 2004 08:50 AM
Click here to Send Morning_Glory a Private Message Find more posts by Morning_Glory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly

quote:
Originally posted by queeq
Did you ever see him in Jingle All the Way ? Not a great film, but his acting stands out by far in comparison to TPM. And tahtw as even shot BEFORE TPM... So the boy can do it...

Actually, it was Jingle All The Way that made me set such LOW expectations.

I heard Haley Joel Osment was being considerred, and I had my hopes up that he would play Anakin instead, he would have been amazing.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2004 02:25 PM
~JP~
yeah baby

I have to be honest. The ONLY reason I watched Jingle All The way was for Phil Hartman. messed until you guys said that I had no idea Jake Llyod was even IN that movie.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2004 11:00 PM
Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wuTa

i dont love the prequeals but i dont hate them either....i liked AOTC the story was better than TPM and so was the acting but didnt like TPM darth maul kicked ass but the story sucked ass....but if your asking me to compare the prequeals to OT i cant..there is no comparison...OT takes the cake but ROTS has the potential to turn the corner for the prequals but it would have to be just as good as ESB and thats asking alot

Old Post Nov 8th, 2004 11:54 PM
Click here to Send wuTa a Private Message Find more posts by wuTa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the_rea1thing
Restricted

Account Restricted

"around the survivors, a perimeter, create". class.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2004 05:55 AM
Click here to Send the_rea1thing a Private Message Find more posts by the_rea1thing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

quote:
Originally posted by Red Superfly
Actually, it was Jingle All The Way that made me set such LOW expectations.

Hey, it wasn't super but a lot better than TPM. He was allright in the small part he had. It made me seriously doubt GL's directing capacities when it comes to actors. Or children at least.

As for Osmond... hmmm.... young Anakin with droopy eyes... I dunno.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2004 09:23 AM
Prozak
Bad Mother F****r

quote:
Originally posted by the_rea1thing
"around the survivors, a perimeter, create". class.

I'd forgotten about that one. Strike the sandstorms line from the number one spot. We have a new champion.

Anyway, back on track. I don't think that TPM would have been any better with HJO as Annakin instead of Jake Lloyd. Like i've said before i think the big issue lies with George Lucas' inability to inspire and direct his cast properly. Can you honestly look at the other actors in the prequels and tell me, truthfully, that they are giving top rate perfomaces?

Here's an artists rendition of Haley Joel Osment as Annakin

(please log in to view the image)

Last edited by Prozak on Nov 10th, 2004 at 01:44 PM

Old Post Nov 10th, 2004 01:32 PM
Prozak
Bad Mother F****r

quote:
Originally posted by Lyn
I, like JP, love the idea of being told the back story and meeting all these characters we'd only heard briefly about. to me. They just do.

Thats a great reason to like them but at the same time a contributing factor as to why a good deal of people dislike them. Being a huge fan of the original trilogy, my expectations were much higher than Lucas was capable of delivering. I think thats partly to do with the fact that i, along with however many millions of other fans, had 20+ years to envision our own version of the history of Annakin/Vader; theres nothing more powerful than imaginaton after all so George had some pretty stiff competition in that respect.

quote:
Originally posted by Lyn
My points aren't stong enough to be valid really because I don't have single reasons on why these films mean so much to me. They just do.

The point you made was more than valid

Last edited by Prozak on Nov 10th, 2004 at 02:11 PM

Old Post Nov 10th, 2004 02:01 PM