KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Foreign Cinema » Martial Art Films

Martial Art Films
Started by: Fearnix

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Fearnix
Piggy

Martial Art Films

I love Martial Art Films and i know there a few other people on this site who like em too so i thought i would make a new thread.

Well to start this off i'm gonna say i think Drunken Master 2 is the best Martial Art Film ever.

Hey Pig Piggy Pig Pig Pig

Old Post Jan 15th, 2005 02:41 AM
Fearnix is currently offline Click here to Send Fearnix a Private Message Find more posts by Fearnix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Never saw it, but if its as incoherent as the original, I'll pass. I'm more of a wu xia fan, personally. I dabble in other parts of Asian cinema, but straight up Kung Fu, I just don't have an outlet for.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2005 02:53 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Aku
Drunk

Blood Sport is the best martial arts movie, coz it means so much. Well ok I admit its not the best, there are better ones. Game Of Death 2 is one of the best as the fight scenes are proper badass. And dont forget mortal wombat!

Old Post Jan 15th, 2005 12:34 PM
Aku is currently offline Click here to Send Aku a Private Message Find more posts by Aku Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clavis
HOT

I don't know really, I like these kung fu classics but I like the films that actually have a real story attached to it better, so I'm thinking here

Old Post Jan 15th, 2005 01:00 PM
Clavis is currently offline Click here to Send Clavis a Private Message Find more posts by Clavis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fearnix
Piggy

quote:
Originally posted by Aku
Blood Sport is the best martial arts movie, coz it means so much. Well ok I admit its not the best, there are better ones. Game Of Death 2 is one of the best as the fight scenes are proper badass. And dont forget mortal wombat!

OMG how can you even like Blood Sport sick

Hey Pig Piggy Pig Pig Pig

Old Post Jan 15th, 2005 04:58 PM
Fearnix is currently offline Click here to Send Fearnix a Private Message Find more posts by Fearnix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I am a big martial arts fan, I also love Wuxia that Cine mentioned.

Check this link for the martial arts topic already up:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...highlight=wuxia

Hope the link works, if not just type in wuxia in search.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2005 05:22 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Anyone who says that an american martial arts movie is the best martial arts movie ever, is a fuc,kin retard. Unless you are referring to Enter the dragon.

Best martial art movies

Police story 1 & 2

Return of the dragon

Shogun warriors

the legend

Iron monkey

Drunken master is good, but it just feels to fake for me. I know jackie chan is a spectacle and all, but i am more for his more spontaneous flicks.

Last edited by jinXed by JaNx on Jan 15th, 2005 at 08:43 PM

Old Post Jan 15th, 2005 08:40 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

IMO, "Enter the Dragon" is subpar and "Drunken Master" in addition to being totally un-comical, is hard to watch because of the sporadic English overdubs, which would really ruin any film.

I, myself, am a big fan of "Bloodsport", and it was definately one of Jean Claude Van Damme's best film, based on Frank Dux's real life kumite experiences. The sequels can go to hell, though.

(Don't try and circumvent the profanity filter, either, please.)

Old Post Jan 15th, 2005 09:27 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

IIf bloodsport had actually had a good actor, and better director. I may agree that bloodsprot deserves a place amongst martial arts best. However it has jean claude, one of the worst martial artists of all time, and most overated i maight ass. Heres a hint-anytime you watch a martialarts movie that requires a double take. that person is overated.

enter the dragon is beyond subpar, and destroys anything that jean claude has ever touched. As does return of the drgon no denying the greatest martial artist of all time Bruce leeEEEEEEEEE

Old Post Jan 15th, 2005 09:43 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

It was never "rated" to begin with, like most of his movies. They are all disposable, and most anyone will agree. LIke you, I'm talking out of personal opinion.

"Over-rated" is subjective, and the term really holds no water unless it comes from someone revered in the cinematic arena.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2005 09:46 PM
Dazzler619

I can't believe you forgot Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Old Post Jan 15th, 2005 10:07 PM
Dazzler619 is currently offline Click here to Send Dazzler619 a Private Message Find more posts by Dazzler619 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

It's not so much a martial arts movie as it is a wuxia/drama.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2005 10:25 PM
jinXed by JaNx

quote:
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
It was never "rated" to begin with, like most of his movies. They are all disposable, and most anyone will agree. LIke you, I'm talking out of personal opinion.

"Over-rated" is subjective, and the term really holds no water unless it comes from someone revered in the cinematic arena.

Yeah, well that and fan feed back. Gives me a little credit to my side. also, all you have to do is watch the overated frenchian and use your brain to realize that he cants act and is a below average martial artist. Err (kickboxer) Wesley snipes makes better action flicks than the french canadian hack.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2005 10:28 PM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

The same could be said for Arnold Schwarzenegger, and we love both he and his films regardless. Not really fair to hold double standards based on a movies themetic elements. Van Damme is from Brussels, making him Belgian, BTW. Little "who cares" trivia for ya's.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2005 10:31 PM
Solo

quote:
Originally posted by Dazzler619
I can't believe you forgot Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Saying that is a martial arts movie, would be like saying "Hero" is a martial arts movie.

Anyway, best martial arts movie is hands down, [SPOILER - highlight to read]: either The Three Ninjas, or The Next Karate Kid.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2005 10:31 PM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

laughing...or "Game of Death".

Old Post Jan 15th, 2005 10:33 PM
jinXed by JaNx

Thats like saying lionheart is a true masterpiece.

Man i was holding no double standards on anyone. I am just saying that damme is a damme bad actor and martial artist. No movie he ever made is a decent movie. A good brainless guy flick, like a steven seagul movie yeah, but no thought or heart put into the films, make it a useless peice of film waste.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2005 10:40 PM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

That's all opinion, though. I'm saying that you may say that about Van Damme, but what are your views on Schwarzenegger? These guys don't make movies to emotioanlly move you, they are entertainers, and aren't really "actors" in the traditional sense as they are just "stars". Like it or not, Van Damme was the US equivalent and second coming of Bruce Lee, who I find to be overrated, with one decent movie to his name.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2005 11:46 PM
jinXed by JaNx

Arnold could actually fit the part of a machine or a Marine, or a soldier. Van dame tried to fill the rule of a martial artist, but failed miserably. Steven seagul was more of an equivalent of a Us bruce lee.

See there are two things that seperate Van dame, steven segual, Arnold Schwarzenegger and bruce lee. Arnold, and Bruce had staying power. van dame was a one hit wonder to the cinema's who attracted a cult foolowing. Bruce lee, arnold, bruce willis stallone all inspired rather than merely bedazzeled. face it man, Jeane is nothing more than a washed up has been that never was. Time always tells the victor of these arguments. Bruce lee films inspired the way martial art films have been shot through nations and spans of cinema. Van dame gave a new name to the meaning the DOLLAR BEN.

That is not opinion, bruce lee has and still does inspire martial arts film. Okay, the way everyone went about filming it. NO bruce lee. NO VAN DAME as simple as that. no opninon all fact brother

Old Post Jan 16th, 2005 04:17 AM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

If he had failed, he wouldn't have made so many movies in that role, obviously. 90's, he fell into obscurity. At the same time, Arnold strayed away from the "action hero" material, and thats why we got "Junior", "Twins", "Kindergarten Cop", etc. His novelty as an one line spewing action hero wasn't as marketable.

As for staying power, Bruce Lee had none. He had THREE notable movies in the US over the course of 3 years. That's it. Schwarzenegger, again, banked on novelty, thinking it would be funny to see a giant man with a funny accent in ridiculous situations. That, and his namesake was worth big money.

In terms of inspiration, Bruce Lee basically introduced Kung Fu to the United States, granted, although that's not what is in question. That, and that alone is the only thing that may pass as fact. Your views on van Damme are strictly opinion.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2005 04:43 AM