KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » General Fiction Area » My Ordinary Life

My Ordinary Life
Started by: trackChk890

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
O.A.R21

YAY! * is the girl at the locker like a girl in your classes??" . . haha! JK GOOD JOB keep going!!

Old Post Apr 12th, 2005 12:03 AM
O.A.R21 is currently offline Click here to Send O.A.R21 a Private Message Find more posts by O.A.R21 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
trackChk890

“Oh yeah sure, you new here?” The girl asks slamming her locker. “Yeah, unfortunately, I’m Jen Allgood” Jen said following her down the hall. “Oh Hendrix High hasn’t made that bad of an impression has it?” The girl asks jokingly. “Because TRUST me I no that some of the people here can have attitudes.” She says as they take a turn and Jen sees an office marked Chorus. “Well, I’m Aubrey by the way. You seem cool if you need a friend talk to me.” Then Jen says bye wondering what Aubrey meant by the comment she made. “Um, hello, Mr. Breckenridge? You asked me to come by Jennifer Allgood.” Jen said opening the door and walking in to a huge room with flights of bleachers to sing on. Half way threw her meeting Mr. Breck that is what he is called; apparently, they have done scales, put chorus into one of her electives, and now are figuring out what she is going to do about the contest. “You see, every student is required to compete in this competition and well I think you stand a really good chance of winning. The first place winner gets a chance for a cd contract. The other students have had much longer to practice and it is only 2 weekends away, but I think if you bring in a piece you know and like I could help you tune it up. So, what do you say? Give it a chance?”

Old Post Apr 12th, 2005 03:10 AM
trackChk890 is currently offline Click here to Send trackChk890 a Private Message Find more posts by trackChk890 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
O.A.R21

YAY oh i hope she gets it! keep going, GJ!

Old Post Apr 12th, 2005 08:26 PM
O.A.R21 is currently offline Click here to Send O.A.R21 a Private Message Find more posts by O.A.R21 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fantasygirl

Awesome!

Old Post Apr 12th, 2005 11:39 PM
fantasygirl is currently offline Click here to Send fantasygirl a Private Message Find more posts by fantasygirl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
genius

Keep goin!

Old Post Apr 13th, 2005 03:40 PM
genius is currently offline Click here to Send genius a Private Message Find more posts by genius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
trackChk890

thanks guys! having a busy week ill post more later!!

Old Post Apr 14th, 2005 02:15 AM
trackChk890 is currently offline Click here to Send trackChk890 a Private Message Find more posts by trackChk890 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
O.A.R21

alright take your time. .!!

Old Post Apr 14th, 2005 02:28 AM
trackChk890

sorry im going out of town this weekend wont beable to write!!

Old Post Apr 15th, 2005 12:18 AM
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

1. You switch tenses and voices at points in the writing. This really detracts from the story.
2. Paragraphs are your friends.
3. God, even if one is a nonbeliever, is spelled with a capital 'g'.
4. You frequently tell instead of show.
5. Mistaking homonyms is one of the worst, most humiliating things one can do--check the difference between there/their/they're, your/you're, to/two/too, etc.
6. You cram a lot of unnecessary detail into sentences, particularly those in which you are describing the physical appearance of another.
7. You often state intent of a speaker after the dialogue when the dialogue alone would suffice.
8. Mechanical errors.
9. Instead of adding tag lines to everyone sentence of dialogue, you can make whom is speaking clear and have the speaker perform an action.
10. I am assuming that you are writing this "on the fly". There's nothing wrong with that, but I'd suggest that you print off a copy and see if there are things you have written that could be revised to be more concise and, well, better.

I'd like to see what this piece would look like if it was cleaned up--why don't you type it all in Microsoft Word and post the compiled, fixed-up story into one post?

If you want, I can give you examples of all this stuff. I don't mean to be rude, but it's bad when one sees a story such as this that has such glaring errors--no offense, my writing does the same thing at times--and just say, "Good job! This is great!" when you could be giving suggestions to remedy these flaws. And, as a writer, it is your responsibility to put our suggestions into action to improve your writing. Otherwise, all you are looking for is a bunch of yes-men to stroke your ego.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2005 12:37 AM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
O.A.R21

Ok. . . wow shes just in high school. . .shes not a nobel prized author!
. .I think your stories fine. .

Old Post Apr 16th, 2005 08:56 PM
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by O.A.R21
Ok. . . wow shes just in high school. . .shes not a nobel prized author!
. .I think your stories fine. .

Your point being? She may not be a "nobel prized author", but that is no excuse for horrendous grammar. Everything I said is all within the grasp of the neophyte writer--I am also in high school. If one will not put effort into improving one's writing, then one should not blemish the literary world with one's writing. It is similar to the way rappers have shamed actual music with their pathetic attempts at music--rhyming words forced into lyrical format set to music is NOT a genre of music...but I shall stop before ranting.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2005 11:15 PM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
O.A.R21

*Ok i have to agree with you on the rap'ing part.* Were you insulting her or just trying to help? It sounds like your insulting her.

Im not trying to be mean . . just trying to be a good friend.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2005 01:06 AM
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by O.A.R21
*Ok i have to agree with you on the rap'ing part.* Were you insulting her or just trying to help? It sounds like your insulting her.

Im not trying to be mean . . just trying to be a good friend.

Trying to help.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2005 02:54 AM
O.A.R21

Oh ok

Old Post Apr 17th, 2005 05:25 AM
genius

Originally posted by FeceMan
Your point being? She may not be a "nobel prized author", but that is no excuse for horrendous grammar. Everything I said is all within the grasp of the neophyte writer--I am also in high school. If one will not put effort into improving one's writing, then one should not blemish the literary world with one's writing. It is similar to the way rappers have shamed actual music with their pathetic attempts at music--rhyming words forced into lyrical format set to music is NOT a genre of music...but I shall stop before ranting.

Yeah the thing is with a "nobel prized author" is that they have editors to do the correcting for them!!!

Old Post Apr 17th, 2005 02:28 PM
genius is currently offline Click here to Send genius a Private Message Find more posts by genius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
teamstan

Do you mean Pulitzer prize winners?

To the original poster: Do you always express "attractive" as blue eyes and clear skin (oh, right, like an Abercrombie model)? And seriously, why do you keep switching from third person (she says) to first person (I say)?

Errors:

- Her dad SCREAMED (past tense) at her than she ROLLS (present tense) out of bed.
- She ROLLS (not roles) out of bed
- MY (should be Her) naturally calm, nonfrizzy...

OMG, I have to stop, otherwise I'll be here forever. You switch between third person and first person 5 times in the first post, even within the same sentence. This is how they teach you to write in high school? Wait until you get to junior year, darling, have a good time eliminating all be verbs out of your AP paper.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2007 08:19 PM
teamstan is currently offline Click here to Send teamstan a Private Message Find more posts by teamstan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote